“Excellent Dive on The Vandenberg” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southpoint Divers

Southpoint Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Key West's Premier Dive Operation running daily trips to the Vandenberg, the world's 2nd largest wreck dive, and to the worlds 3rd largest barrier reef. Our Dive Shop is a Certified ScubaPro dealer and carries everything you need for a great dive.
Seattle, Washington
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Excellent Dive on The Vandenberg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We dove the Vandenberg with Southpoint Divers. They run a first class operation. Everything from the reservation, to the gear rental, the boat ride and the dive were done efficiently and professionally. The gear was all new, includine dive computers for each diver who did not have his or her own. They provided a safe dive in challenging conditions.

They are a conservative dive shop and will not sacrifice safety just to put you in the water. The first day, the current was too strong and we did a different dive where the current was less severe -- The Cayman Salvager. The second day we went back to the Candenberg. Although the current was strong, our guide John was able to attach the guide ropes and we proceeded to do the dive. (Tropical Mike, the captain was still not too keen about letting us in the water that day either.)

The Vandenberg is a fun dive and Southpoint is the dive shop to take there.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank 10RatsRock
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best place to dive in KW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

It's the second time I go diving with them and it's definitely the only place I will ever go when in Key West.

They have the best equipment on the island. It is all in excellent condition. The staff takes great pride on their job so they maintain it as if it was their own personal gear.

The staff is super friendly and very professional. The customer service was amazing, we were well taken care of and it resulted in a great dive experience.

Henry was my instructor for my open water certification and did an excellent job. So naturally this time we had to go diving with him. He took the time to show me how to use my dive computer, double checked all our equipment and went out of his way to make sure everything was perfect. Even when my dive buddy was picky about having specific weight distribution he made sure it was exactly the way she wanted!

The dive sites were so interesting and we were lucky to see amazing creatures. Henry made sure we had a chance to see them and enjoy the reef. Our safety and satisfaction were always his top priorities.

I will go back to dive to Key West and there is no doubt in my mind that it will be with SPD. You can't go wrong!

North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Awesome - well run, friendly crew - safety is a priority”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

With about 160 dives around the world including Morehead, NC; Cozumel; Roatan, Belize, St. Lawrence seaway, and New Jersey, I have had the opportunity to dive with alot of dive ops....including 3 in the Key West area.

I dove 3 days in KW recently including 2 days with Southpoint. Southpoint is an outstanding outfit. They take your safety seriously: proper check in and certification checks, roll call, safety briefing, and proper procedures. There was plenty of staff on the boat too.

Highly recommend this op. They are my fav in the Key West area and among the top 2 I have ever dove.

3 Thank prs2007
Overland, Missouri, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“awesome time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

These guys are pros. The boat is the nicest safest scuba boat I have ever been on. Very knowledgeable and very friendly

Middle East
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Go somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

GF went here for her PADI dive cert. She had two different instructors through the process. The first was ok, the second was just a little better than worthless. His ability to teach / explain / instruct was terrible. If someone wasn't able to get a certain task (ex clear your mask) he wasn't able to provide any coaching or tips on what they might do different or better. On top of that when we saw him at a local bar the next night he was a leech! He came over TWICE and tried the line "you should be me a drink, do you have a tab?" then proceeded to order himself a drink.

We ended up going to another dive shop for proper instruction (wow, what a difference a good instructor makes) and for the rest of our dives. Glad we did!

1 Thank bokad