12 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.com$387
Travelocity$387
Hotels.com$387
Priceline$387
Trip.com$441
FindHotel$398
All reviews beach daze free kayaks old florida boat ramp mrs macs laid back fish mac's kitchen only stayed one night watch the sunset small beach water front tiki hut hidden gem stayed longer full kitchen pelicans
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 May 2021

I hate reviewing this property so poorly but we had a terrible experience, and one that could have easily been corrected. We booked through Priceline about a month in advance. As the trip was approaching, I received an email from Booking.com and Priceline with reservation confirmations (2 separate emails with 2 different confirmation numbers). I did not realize the two companies were associated. I mistakenly thought I double booked and cancelled one of the reservations on Tuesday night for my stay on Friday night. I was charged a cancellation fee and called to ask why and subsequently realized that it wasn’t a double booking and that I had cancelled my only reservation. I then rebooked my room for that same night and was perfectly fine with paying a difference in rate but thought they would excuse the cancellation charge. I called them to explain what happened and have never experienced such inconsideration. I explained this was a honest mistake and that we really did want to stay with them AND had already rebooked. The answer was pretty much tough luck, it’s our policy. I offered to pay any cost they incurred such as fees paid to third party, etc. and the answer was no. I asked that since I am having to pay for the room I cancelled less than 10 hours ago, may I get the room? The answer was “No, we’ve already rebooked that room”. I completely understand the policy as it relates to holding a room for someone, them cancelling last minute and now you’re out the money. However, I cancelled Tuesday at 11pm for a room on Friday night, called them first thing Weds morning (9AM)... AND HAD ALREADY REBOOKED FOR A HIGHER PRICE! Even Priceline and booking agreed that the owner should take into consideration the specifics and spoke to the manager on my behalf with no luck. I honestly feel taken advantage of and believe this type of business practice and/or particular instance to be unethical. Also, the two emails from both companies with different confirmation numbers is extremely misleading. When I did cancel, I followed the link in the email. There was no notification on that Priceline page stating a date/time to cancel by, or a notification stating “if you submit this cancellation, you will be charged a cancellation fee”. There is a general 3 day cancellation policy at the bottom of the page and I was under the impression I was out of the 3 day window, as I cancelled Tuesday evening for a Friday reservation. I am a fairly frequent traveler and will not be using Booking.com or Priceline, and will NEVER stay at Pelican Key Largo Cottages again! John was the manager and should really explore a different industry outside of hospitality. Unfortunately, due to the way I was treated, I will go to the ends of Earth to dispute this charge and am going to light up every review forum. Outside of all of that the property was decent in a great location with mediocre rooms. Advertised a boat ramp however the ramp was unable to launch even my small boat. I thought that was somewhat misleading. Also charged extra for parking a boat and the property is extremely difficult to maneuver a boat in and out. I appreciate that they offered a hose at the “boat ramp” and did back my boat down the narrow drive to utilize that. Really nice area down by the water to relax, swim and kayak. No pool. Let me add this... my wife did call earlier in the day to inquire about upgrading our room to a room with 2 beds, as our daughter decided to come. This was unavailable and she did ask about the cancellation policy however, this was completely separate from me thinking I double booked the room and cancelling. The manager used this fact against me to justify not issuing a refund so I felt it necessary to include.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank shaunjones0905
John Godsey, Owner at The Pelican Key Largo Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2021

You have done a masterful job of convoluting and manipulating the facts of this encounter. When you made your reservation with a third party booking site, you agreed to all policies and conditions including the cancellation policy. You contacted us in attempt to cancel with in the penalty phase of your reservation and became irate when you were informed that you could not receive a refund. You berated our staff and threatened us with negative reviews if we did not comply with your demands. Once you had cancelled your reservation, you re-booked for 2 people but failed to include the 3 additional guests, additional car and a boat in your reservation. As you arrived late at night and refused to be present for check in and to sign the necessary paperwork and we were forced to try to track you down Ultimately due to your deception, we were unable to bill for the boat, additional guests and additional vehicle. Perhaps the outcome would have played out differently had you not have been so threatening and demeaning to our staff. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2021

The redone rooms are very spacious and clean. The beach is well kept and a very relaxing spot to spend the week. There are multiple restaurants within walking distance. The staff is very friendly! A great place to stay and a very great price!

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
John Godsey, Owner at The Pelican Key Largo Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2021

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2021

This place just feels like a throw-back to the 50s with its tiny, dated beach-side, pastel cottages. It is very well maintained, and the staff and the guests couldn't be more friendly and accommodating. We did enjoy the small beach, the sunsets and the kayaking during our stay.

The room was spotless, if in need of some touches like a place to hang your clothes. No closet. No hangers. They did give you everything else you might need, however.

The location of the resort, directly on rte. 1 is great. Our room, however, was directly on rte. 1, which was not great! Unyielding, ear-splitting traffic all night long and a very loud a/c unit prevented us from getting any sleep at all.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if we can get a cottage on the beach and away from the road noise.

Date of stay: April 2021
2  Thank nottinghall
John Godsey, Owner at The Pelican Key Largo Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2021

We're very happy ro hear that you enjoyed our "old Florida" feel and vintage vibe! Our amazing location on the beautiful Florida Bay offers the perfect spot to soak up some sun and enjoy a world famous sunset from our private beach. Our waterfront suites offer a quiet, relaxing atmosphere that is completely free of the passing traffic noise. We do hope to welcome you back again very soon and as always, thank you for choosing The Pelican!

Reviewed 4 April 2021 via mobile

Booked a cottage for one night because I’d be working that evening in Key Largo singing at a local venue. The gig was cancelled the day before due to high winds and bad weather expected. I called a day ahead and explained the situation to the woman manager who answered the phone. “ no cancellations and no refunds “ was all she said. When I further said I don’t want a refund, I just want to change the date to our rescheduled show date, and it was met with “ no changes allowed”. I said l perform down there a lot and this isn’t very “ customer friendly”..I got silence back.
So we decided to go anyway, even tho I wasn’t working and try to enjoy since she was so adamant about it.
It’s overpriced for the one small room and tiny bathroom. Forget sleeping- like a previous poster said ..whenever the AC kicks on it’s very loud and wakes you up. Also very thin small towels just screamed “cheap!”.
We will never stay there again. Lots of better nearby options that are customer service oriented.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank claudetterocc
John Godsey, Owner at The Pelican Key Largo Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2021

Due to the nature of how you booked the room as a non-refundable type, this reservation could not be cancelled or modified to other dates. You called us the day before arrival to switch dates or cancel and our desk agent correctly informed you that this would not be possible. We're very sorry if you do not agree with this policy but the reservation that you selected was only for the specific dates that you booked. The Pelican offers quality accommodations at some of the best prices to be found in the fabulous Florida Keys. Additionally, we do offer a full range of towels including bath towels, hand towels, beach towels and wash cloths. Our A/C units were very recently updated in all units and are the industry standard for efficient operation and noise levels. Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to further discuss or require additional information regarding this matter.

Reviewed 18 March 2021 via mobile

Grabbed the last water front cottage available. Cramped bed room but spacious living area. Dated set up but very clean. Walk out of the door to a beach and pier. Beautiful sunsets. All the cottages are surrounded by beautiful vegetation.
Great value!
If you have kids this is a great spot. Free kayaking and clear water.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank tlwilson11218
John Godsey, Owner at The Pelican Key Largo Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2021

We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay on our amazing waterfront! We couldn't agree more that The Pelican is the place to be for loads of family fun in the sun! We hope to welcome you back very soon and as always, thank you for choosing The Pelican!