“One of our favorite places to eat.”
Review of The Freezer

The Freezer
Ranked #1 of 13 Quick Bites in Homosassa
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Restaurant/Bar in an old seafood freezer on the water where boats bring in their fresh catch. Amazing shrimp, fish dip and stone crabs. A lot of local controversy around restaraunt so it is becoming very popular.
Reviewed 29 May 2021

Be prepared, place is usually busy, seating usually at a premium. Normally we scout for seating 1st, all hands on the look out. If nothing is immediately available place one person in line to order and begin to hover for seats.

If you get a seat in the freezer you’ll have wait staff and you can pull your person from the line. Seating anywhere else is walk up ordering only.

Cash only btw. Also, don’t lose your portion of the order ticket.

There is a separate spot at the bar to order beverages if that’s all you’re ordering, end of the bar closest to the food line.

The menu is on the walls, be ready to order when your turn comes as then is not the time to try and figure out what you want.

Enjoy, worth the visit, never have been disappointed. Cheers.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank andyandsally
Write a reviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 19 April 2021

After living in the area for 6 years, we finally made the 30 mile trek to Homosassa. Many friends have raved to us about The Freezer. First impression was not good. It is in a run-down, cluttered, dirty building. There was no one to seat us or even direct us. Not knowing the process, we had to ask other customers. We finally found seats outside. There is no waitress and the only menu is posted on the wall by the bar. Two of my party went back in and took pictures of it to bring back to the table. After writing down everyone’s order, it was back to the bar to stand in line so the already busy bartender could take our order. And she was in no hurry to take food orders. Go to another part of the bar for your drink orders. There was no sweet iced tea.

Two of the signature items, snow crab legs and stone crab claws were not available on this Saturday. The only crab available was Dungeness. Your food is delivered in take out and disposable containers by a server who stands there yelling out your name. Now the food. Their specialty (according to their menu) is steamed shrimp. Four of my party got the shrimp and all four were disappointed. The shrimp were small, bland, and under seasoned. It certainly tasted as if they had been frozen. The kid’s hot dogs were served on buns that were stale. The cold slaw was more like a minced salad—not creamy at all. The Dungeness crab was just so-so. The only bright spot was the clam chowder.

And they are cash only—no debit or credit cards. Get your cash before you get there. Their ATM is $4.50 a transaction.

Having to listen to the loud, obnoxious, and obviously intoxicated group at a table by us was no fun either.

One and done.

Date of visit: April 2021
6  Thank Dennis R
Reviewed 14 April 2021 via mobile

I read the reviews here and wonder if we were in the same place. Yeah, the place might be called rough around the edges as there are no fluffy amenities and it is cash only. But we experienced no rudeness just people having fun and the staff RUNNING!
I've eaten Shrimp everywhere on the East Coast and New Orleans but this was a knock out. And this is what they are known for!! They serve a wide variety but this is where you eat Shrimp!!

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 29 March 2021 via mobile

Friends have raved about The Freezer and I finally got a chance to try it out. I am not going back.

What’s the difference between their reaction and mine? Read on.

If you like large quantities of well prepared seafood for a good price and don’t mind a limited selection, you will probably love this place. And if you want to pair it with inexpensive beer - you’re going to be thrilled.

However, if you want something WITH the seafood - even cole slaw or fries - you won’t be a happy camper. (That was me.). While cole slaw was available with one entree, it didn’t come with the shrimp I ordered and you couldn’t order it as a side. There were no fries or even bags of potato chips available either. For me - a big platter of fish isn’t dinner.

The ordering process was chaos because it was so crowded and you had to stand in one line to order the fish and another to order the beer. You took the beer back to your table and then waited for a runner to bring out your order - about 15 minutes for us and over half an hour for our friends. I could deal with that. This is not a place to go for fine dining and the atmosphere is funky and fun.

However, the tables weren’t cleaned between diners (and you were lucky to find a table) and not a single person was wearing a mask. So if you are at all concerned about these things avoid this place like the plaque because you could definitely pick up something here.

Also be aware you must pay cash. They wisely have an ATM available.

The crab dip (served with saltine crackers BTW) was delicious. The shrimp was awesome.

However, the shrimp came with a small contain or cocktail sauce and another small container of drawn “butter”. Unfortunately, the yellow liquid was not the expected butter. Nasty stuff. Margarine maybe? I’d ask for two containers of cocktail sauce and skip the yellow stuff.

So you may live this place or you may hate it. I hope my explanation lets you decide which camp you’ll fall in before you go.

PS. I just saw corn on the cob under recommended dishes (below). It wasn’t on the menu last night.

Date of visit: March 2021
6  Thank CharG716
Reviewed 22 March 2021

Everyone should visit The Freezer once and maybe twice but after that, find another place to eat. I shudder to think what the place would look like if lights were on inside.
Went this past weekend with guests who wanted to go and was disappointed with the taste of mussels and chowder. The mussels tasted like they were frozen and the chowder was thin. I hope the help gets paid well because everyone works hard and in spite of the environment, are friendly.
Ill continue to take guests who want to go but will choose cleaner, safer and better food for other times.

Date of visit: March 2021