“Terrible customer service”

Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the first time on March 31st through April 2nd. Check was fine, but front desk agent not very friendly. First day of arrival there were no issues, however on the following morning, we decided to do their breakfast buffet. We seated ourselves and waited at least 10-15 minutes before anyone acknoweldged our presence. In the meantime, other folks came in and serviced promptly. The staff, including the manager, just walked by our table several times as though we were not there. We finally retrieved someone to kindly provide us with coffee and orange juice (orange juice is an extra charge!). No tip was left as we felt we not properly served.
On that same day, we left the hotel right after breakfast and DID NOT leave the tag on the door, because we wanted Housekeeping to come into the room to clean it. Upon returning to our room very very late that evening, we find that NO ONE had cleaned the room at all...made the beds, put clean towels, refresh coffeemaker. I call the Front Desk and am told it is too late for someone to come into room, but was offered towels!
The following morning, our departure date, I call the Front Desk again to speak to a manager. At the same time, I find a dead bug on my bed...having slept with it. Both the manager and head of housekeeping come to the room to speak with us. The manager says..."yes I remember seeing you at breakfast." OK?! We are told by manager and head of housekeeping that the "do not disturb" tag was left in the door and that is why Housekeeping did not come into the room. HELLO!!!! WE DID NOT LEAVE THE TAG IN THE DOOR AT ALL!!! Both my daughter and I know that we left the tag INSIDE the room so that our room could be cleaned. They told us that they called the room late in the afternoon, but that no one answered the phone (WE WERE NOT THERE), but yet they DID NOT leave a message for us upon our return which was very late that evening. We were gone for many hours that day into the evening and no one leaves a message or comes to our room to check on us?!?! As for the bug on the bed, manager said that was brought into the room. YES, I brought a bug into the room and decided to sleep with it!!
He said he could offer me a free breakfast which was shutting down in 10 minutes. I said "no" we were going out for breakfast because of lousy service the day before. He said.."what can I can to satisfy your stay?" I stayed silent and waited for him to make an offer...i wasn't looking for freebies at all. He said we will adjust your bill accordingly. Upon checkout, we had a credit of $40.00. Wow, thanks a lot.
Poor excuses overall. Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank DeeP23
BillBakerGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

April 8th, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am however concerned regarding the poor room service you received. Please accept my sincere apology. Please be assured we have already discussed this with the staff on how to prevent this in the future. We are committed to total guest satisfaction and we hope you will give us another opportunity to prove that this was an exception and not the norm.

William Baker

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed 1 nite, on a Sat. Arrived early evening. They had 1 room left. Had been turned away by a nearby, full-up, HI-Express Was told this area is near cruise ship departures and an airport ... so, hi demand. Paid $200 w/AAA, for king size. Room included refrig and microwave. Good shower pressure & temps. The bed was comfy. Firm w/ a little bit of give 4 comfort. It felt like a dense foam style mattress. Free wi-fi thru-out the hotel. Nice pool area, surrounded by a wall, w/ patio dining and an outdoor jacuzzi. Had a small restaurant/dining area; and a separate, small bar area

Heard the clerk turn away a ph call inquiry 4 a room. Clerk commented they save a room or 2 for walk-in customers only.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SpartanTrvlr

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and your kind words of praise. I am very proud of our hotel and it's staff. Thank you for your business and look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Willaim Baker

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed here several times over the past few years and have never been disappointed. The location is very convenient - a block from I-95, in Hollywood, Florida. Although near the highway, the hotel is relatively quiet. Staff is courteous. Lobby is nicely appointed. This location has a wonderful pool in a pleasingly landscaped, relaxing setting. Standard rooms are average sized for this type of hotel. The big advantage for my family is the availability of Junior suites. Nice to find a larger room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa, mini kitchen and two flat screens - at a reasonable price point. Rooms are always clean. Bathrooms are decent sized. Not particularly the "best" neighborhood, but we've never had any problems there. Oh, and there's a Denny's directly across the street in case you don't want to pay typical Holiday Inn restaurant prices for breakfast.

We've stayed at several other hotels in the area (Springhill Suites/Hilton Garden/Hyatt Place) depending on availability, but have always enjoyed staying at this Holiday Inn. And we look forward to staying here on future visits to the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RickOChet

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and your kind words of praise. I am very proud of our hotel and it's staff. I will share your comments with them. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts in sevice and quality. Thank you for your business and to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My daughter and I needed a quick break and stayed at this hotel based on the prior reviews and were not disappointed. If you don't have a car, there are limited food options, Denny's and the hotel restaurant, both were decent for a short stay. Room was clean, comfortable and staff was excellent. Pool/hot tub area was nice, didn't feel like you were at an "airport" hotel and shuttle service was prompt and courteous. Lots of cruise boat passengers embarking or disembarking but draws a nice diverse group of people. Hotel was quiet and cozy. I know it sounds dumb but the elevators were fast. As a New Yorker, not having to wait for a slow elevator is a big plus. Would definitely stay again when we need a weekend away from the cold.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stay here every time I cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. It's clean, it's safe and it's cheap. As I have done for the past 7 yrs I took my father on a cruise four weeks ago. Four of those years we've departed from Port Glades in Ft. Lauderdale. We fly into Lauderdale and the hotel picks us up at the airport. The next day or whenever your ship leaves the hotel will transport you to the ship at no charge. They do this every week so the are really good at what they do. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. This year I also invited my cousin along. He got sick all the room and I am not very helpful when it comes helping clean up anything along those lines. I left out in search of housekeeping only to find out they had left for the evening. I explained the situation to the maintenance man and he went and got some cleaning materials and helped me out. This guy went way beyond anything he was required to do. What a great place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family