“Loved Ginnie Springs” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ginnie Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in High Springs
Ginnie Springs
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in High Springs
Sarasota, Florida
“Loved Ginnie Springs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

I was very surprised when I read some of the reviews on Ginnie Springs. My boyfriend and couple of friends and I went to Ginnie Springs for some camping and diving in February 2008. We had a great time and didn't hear anything except crickets all night! We went to bed in our tent about 10:00pm and didn't hear anything until about 7:30am. (Screaming kids woke us up, not drinkers) We were there on a weekend and stayed across from the bathrooms by the "cabins". We had a great time and are going back this weekend! Maybe the negative reviews are for staying in the back of the park by the river? We did see some partiers there!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

I took my 12 year old son to Ginnie Springs for a first time camping trip. We chose GS because the Santa Fe river and the springs are beautiful. We went inner tubing late morning.

There were several individuals who were extremely loud, cursing, and yelling out inappropriate remarks. I noticed several beer cans strewn along the banks.At first I thought this behavior was limited to a few groups, and I could ignore it. However, by midday, beer cans literally littered the river . The park and river were filled with people exhibiting drunk behavior. As a parent, I no longer felt it was responsible to continue inner tubing , so
we stuck close to the springs and divers.
By late afternoon, drunk behavior was truly overwhelming. There was staff standing around but I did not see any oversight. Perhaps the park should allow kegs and paper cups. At least they are bio-degradable!

As we were leaving a staff member asked about our trip.
I said that given the environment, maybe it would be better if we camped during the week. She said, " This is the way it is pretty much all summer."

As much as I would want to enjoy GS, I would not return under the present circumstances. The environment is a haven for drunks, not a place I wish to expose my child.

Stayed May 2008
5 Thank dntbastranger
Savannah, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

My daughter and I camped at Ginnie Springs for 3 nights during her GA high school spring break. She is 17 and considered an adult, therefore she was charged the full $18 per person camping fee. The 3 nights cost us about $120. Wow! I've done a LOT of camping in my day but never have I paid as much.

They also sell firewood, but at $7 a bundle, it kind of sucks the fun out of burning it. The bundles are somewhat larger than the average ones you'd find at a Walmart or supermarket, but the wood itself did not burn very well. Kind of on the green side and hissed steam as it tried to burn. We found a private firewood dealer down the road a ways at $4 a bundle, or 3 for $10. His wood was cut smaller but it was good and seasoned. You could actually get a nice fire going.

There is a nice delicatessen on the premises, but beware, it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the exact days we were there. On check out day (Thursday) we stopped in to give one of their highly recommended sandwiches a try. We ordered a Philly Cheese Steak. Although the sign said the sandwich cost $8.75, the register rang up at $9.35. I'm not sure of the tax rate in Florida but it seemed excessive to me. I left the change as a tip which essentially turned it into a $10 sandwich! Thank goodness it was VERY tasty, but certainly not worth $10

Other reviewers have said negative things about the partiers. We were fortunate to be there during the week. Other than a few yahoos down the river it really wasn't bad. Had we been there a week earlier for Florida spring break it would have been a completely different scenario. Every sight was taken and partying was at an all time high. Personally I don't mind that as long as my head is geared for it. I was thanking my lucky stars to have a relatively quiet week.

All in all, my daughter and I truly enjoyed Ginnie Springs, especially for its clear springs and the Santa Fe tube run. Across the river is some very beautiful unspoiled private property where wild turkey, owls, woodpeckers and all kinds of creatures abound. Oddly, there were no raccoons at the campsite. The main raiders there were the buzzards who would visit early in the morning to check for unguarded trash.

Compared to a State Park with its long list of DONT's, Ginnie Springs offers a lot of freedom to camp as you please. Unfortunately, I can only see this relaxed approach tightening up as more and more idiots push things to the extreme and ruin it for the rest of us. In the meantime, Ginnie Springs is still like the camping I remember as a younger man. To me, drinking beer and camping go hand in hand. State Parks frown on this and are also very strict about noise. I guess there's still enough of a partier in me where I don't mind hearing laughing and singing coming from other sights.

So go ahead, if you don't mind being charged extra for every little thing, the campground is worth it. Just don't expect any refunds. The refund button seems to be permanently broken on their registers, but they will barter if necessary.

• Liked — Good old fashioned tent camping
  • Disliked — Getting nickeled and dimed for every little thing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank StevieTeaselSeed
Dunedin, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2008

Our family camping trip turned out to be a very traumatic experience for my 5 year old and 3 year old. Even though the kids were free to stay the folks at the front desk should warn you that they may not be welcomed at Gin (as in the liquor) Springs. Great place for students, vagabonds, hippies, rednecks, and all-night party seekers. I'll give the divers a break. The few we met were very kind but most of them laughed sarcastically when asked if they would be camping and bugged out around sunset. After a night of no sleep we packed up our belongings at sunrise and split. As we were leaving we decided to stop by the front desk and ask for a refund. The manager told us that we should have picked a quieter spot to camp. She offered us a rain check and told us that this is not a state park and partying is encouraged here!

Stayed March 2008
4 Thank campor
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

Ginnie Springs is beautiful. I've been going there at least once a year for the past 9 years and have always enjoyed the park and the river. The *only* downside is the noise level if there happen to be loud campsites along the river. Noise travels on the river VERY well. We've always stayed on the river so I cannot speak for the rest of the campground's noise level at night. This past weekend I was there with a group of 5 and the river sites were full. The campsite two sites down played rave music until 11pm but my group doesn't go to bed til after that anyway so it didn't bother us much...but if I had kids or wanted to sleep before 11 I'd have been out of luck. Regardless, I recommend Ginnie Springs for a camping trip with the benefit of beautiful river scenery and activities such as snorkeling, canoeing, tubing, scuba, volleyball and wildlife viewing (a hawk was chasing a squirrel through the trees when we arrived at our site and fish were jumping in the river all day long...). On a clear night there are also amazing views of the stars. Just remember to bring your earplugs!! :)

• Liked — riverfront campsites!
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
10.0 km away
High Springs Country Inn
High Springs Country Inn
#2 of 3 in High Springs

Been to Ginnie Springs? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK