“Authentic Kaiten Bune in Miami”

Shima Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 387 Restaurants in Hialeah
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

First of all, thank you Dario for recommending this place.

It opens at 6:00pm and it is small so it gets very busy. We got there at 6:15 and had to register and wait for about 30 minutes but it was worth it. They have two Kotatsu tables that were empty but we wanted to sit by the bar. The place does resemble some sushi restaurants in Tokyo.

We sat by the conveyor and were immediately greeted and offered something to drink. Very cordial and fast service. I introduced myself to chef Sabu-san and he reassured us that if we didn’t like something we should let him know right away. He recommended the Hotate (scallops) and the Uni (sea urchin roe).

The kaiten dishes range from $1 to $3.90 per plate, which is very reasonable. And the menu items are also very reasonably priced. They have a good selection of authentic Japanese dishes such as the tonkatsu, oyakodon, tempura don, yakitori, etc.

We tried Sabu-san’s recommendations which were both excellent, and then tried the tuna sashimi, hamachi sashimi, tako (octopus) sashimi, aburi salmon nigiri, tamagoyaki (egg omelet) nigiri, agedofu (fried tofu), edamame and miso soup. For drinks we had plum wine and Sapporo beer. Everything was very good, fresh and nicely presented.

Will definitely be back to try more dishes from the menu.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

Pretty cool concept of boats floating around with sushi. They have a pretty large variety my favorite is the volcano roll!
They have a good staff very attentive and friendly

Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

We come as a family almost once a week. The food and service is awesome. It's very inexpensive and you get to try a wide variety.

Reviewed 19 June 2016

I just got kicked out of this place. Today we went early at 6pm for a father's day celebration so the whole family went, with our young children. My 3 year old son is a very picky eater so I always pack him dinner, drinks (a juice mix that they don't sell) and some snacks. The rest of us (5 adults and a 6 years old) ordered food and drinks from the restaurant. First they come and tell me I need to take away my son's juice, which I did. Then I gave him some corn pops and they come and tell me again they he cannot eat his cereal in the restaurant. I have to rip the container out of my son's hand which he did not understands. At this point we have already ordered $120 worth food and we're not even finish ordering. Before taking away his snack he was just quietly sitting and eating and well behaved. My husband and I have been coming to this place for years and have always bring our children. I have brought my son home cooked food and snacks to this place for no less than five times and was never told that I can't. We have to leave mid-meal because my son is teary and hungry. I can see very well that this restaurant is packed with customers and won't feel any pain losing my business. Kicking us out by bullying my three year old will free up the table for other customers. If picking on loyal customer and small children will make you more money, you can take your money and go to h@#$!!

1  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed 19 April 2016 via mobile

First impression when we walked in was not good, thought we should leave, gave it the benefit of the doubt and was helped by a very decent gentleman and he explained all the sushi rolls because the menu is extremely pathetic, they need to fix that asap! However the sushi is really great and would recommend it to friends.