“Great service and caring staff”

Courtyard Gainesville
Courtyard Gainesville
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
El Dorado Hills, California
“Great service and caring staff”
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I travel to Gainesville on business every year. This was the third time I have stayed at this hotel and it just get's better everytime. The hotel is always clean and has a very good breakfast. This stay I had a very small issue with some broken tilies on my bathroom floor that had cracks. It was over six six by six tilies that really needed to be fixed so you didn't cut your bare feet. I told them about the tilies the very next morning of my first nights stay. They handled it so well and were truly concerned about my safety. I have to give ALL the staff their a BIG thank you for their service and concerned along with how they handled it. The hotel is a great location for me but I have many other choices that I can stay at, but I will stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 November 2010

For the fair price the facilities were very nice. The "business center" was basic but adequate. The service, especially that of Jesica at the front desk, was very friendly courteous

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My teenage daughter was invited to participate at a program at University of Florida. We decided to bring the whole family, children ages 15, 12, 10 and 1 with us. I called twice before our stay to confirm our room choice and to request a refrigerator. Both times the staff was very friendly and accomodating. We had a smooth check in, the front desk clerk was very nice and friendly. Our room had two double beds, an additional sofa bed (about a double sized) and a balcony overlooking the pool area (and other area hotels parking lots). We found there was no fridge in the room, a quick call to the front desk had one waiting outside our door for us (they never knocked??). The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable and it was easy to find the bedding for the pull out bed. Additional towels and linens were just a phone call away. I did have a few concerns. We stayed for two nights, and it seemed that the elevator broke on a daily basis. We definitely got our workouts by climbing the stairs to the third floor. There was some basketball camp also going on at UF and some of the teams were staying at this hotel. They checked in late our first night there and were very noisy in the hallway at 10:30. I did the "look out of the hotel room door while half awake in pajamas" to give the hint that there were people sleeping. The hint wasn't taken. My husband then went into the hallway and asked the young men to be quiet as we had young children asleep. Still didn't work. I placed a call to the front desk and was informed that they were speaking to the coaches. About 20 minutes later (11:10 pm) everything was quiet again. The next night there were few issues with noise. We were aware in advance that there was a charge for breakfast, which is disappointing considering the level of hotel and their location on "restaurant row" - including a Shoney's across the street. At $8.95 per person for hot breakfast and $7.95 for continental, this hotel must be making tons of money on their offerings. We did eat the breakfast the second morning, more out of convenience than anything else. Again, the waitstaff was nice but I did feel ripped off by the lack of offerings for the high price. Next time, we will head to Shoney's. Overall, a nice experience and I will stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Brunswick, GA
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I began to stay at the Courtyard in Gainesville, FL on June 4, 2010. Arriving at 11PM, and having work still to do, I attempted to use the internet. After an hour of non ability to use their internet (the ISP said that I had to deal with the slower than dial up), I needed to find another location for the night that allowed me adequate use of internet. When requesting a non-payment due to unable to use their services, I was denied. Demanding that further action be taken by notifying management, I was ridiculed by hand in the face actions, my mother made fun of (she was not present) and then racial slurs said to me. This was all done by the hotel night desk clerk. On 2 occasions within 20 seconds, she called me a "stupid cracker". Yes, I am Caucasian and she was African/American. This was completely shocking to me. I called AMEX to immediately dispute the charge. I talked to the manager the next morning and explained everything that had gone on. Later in the week, I heard back and was told that I was compensated by not being charged for the room that I did not stay in. Hamm, I called customer service again and was again told that was all they were going to do. I then called Mr. Marriots office and was told that was all that was going to be done. I guess when a white person is discriminated against; it is easy to let it go. Having been a rewards member for 10 years, I am through with Marriot! I hope someone learns from this. I have commented several times on the Marriot Rewards site, with each occurance removed almost immediately. I am now banned from that site. Negative publicity is not even addressed. They would not even answer why they kept removing my post.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank mrlittlejohn
JTabone, Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville. It is understandable that slow Internet access can be frustrating, and we have looked into the issues surrounding this service issue and have resolved them.

Of deeper concern to me are your allegations regarding mistreatment and racial slurs used against you by front desk staff. I have reviewed your complaint with hotel staff, a guest who witnessed the situation, our local Better Business Bureau and Marriott’s customer service team. You were contacted directly by my assistant general manager after the incident and advised of specific steps that would be taken to satisfy your concerns. Through my interviews with staff and the other guest, I have determined that the matter was handled professionally and appropriately, and no further coaching or corrective action is required.

Again, I appreciate your contribution and bringing the Internet access issue to my attention. Your feedback will assist us in providing excellent service to our guests in the future.

Management
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Since we have family members that work for Marriott, we always pick Courtyard when we have to travel somewhere (and a larger Marriott, JW, Renaissance isn't available).

This hotel is RIGHT off I-75 in Gainesville. Perfect for anyone visiting UF.

The hotel is clean and the service is great, but it is really starting to show it's age. Every Courtyard I've ever stayed has flat screen TV's, this one doesn't. But I'm just being picky. I recommend this place!

The only thing though is the free wifi that is seriously slower than dial-up. C'mon now. Waiting 60 seconds to bring up a website should be a clue this needs to be fixed.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family