“Average room in a great location and pool”

Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Hartford, Connecticut
“Average room in a great location and pool”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The room was average...nothing fantastic, but the price was right being off season and frig and microwave. The beach was beautiful and the pool area looked fun. Definitely family oriented They were remodeling the condos next door and started working on it early in the morning. We were up, but it would have been irritating if we decided to sleep in. The location to everything is perfect and it is a beautiful area. It's all in what you are looking as to if it's very good or average.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank nrstrong
Yield-ramadafwb_123, Management Representative at Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. It is good to hear that the pool renovations next door to us did not disturb your rest here. Thankfully, that project was completed after a few weeks. Thank you for recognizing the family-friendly atmosphere of our property. Hopefully you will visit us again when you are in the area.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
Dallas
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Took the family on a 4 day, 3-night getaway during Labor Day Weekend. First off, using the term "Resort" is very misleading. There was nothing resort-like about this place, nothing but a glorified MOTEL to me. We went when Tropical Storm Lee decided to show up in the gulf, so I will not blame the Ramada for that, obviously. First off, we got the Gulf View room, which was nice, except when you wanted to actually sit on your balcony and take it all in. Someone in the balcony below or next to you was always smoking and between that and the air conditioner constantly rattling, it wasn't very relaxing. Secondly, if you wanted to go on the beach and sit anywhere besides on the sand, you had to "rent" a chair from some guys in a shack and they charged 25.00 each. Seriously? Between that and the jellyfish all over the beach, I was already feeling the sting of the trip. The one night we actually were enjoying ourselves, that Friday, myself and about 20 others at the beach bar were surprised when they decided to close a little after 6:30. Really? I asked the bartender why they closed so late and she said they always close right before it gets dark. I've never heard of such a thing. Another thing, if you pay the extra for a Beach Front Room, there is no indoor access to the lobby or lobby bar or restaurant. We all got caught in the sudden downpour on Saturday on our way to the restaurant, this included my 8 month old son and 11 year old daughter, and on top of that, the lobby and restaurant were FREEZING, with the AC blowing full force. No regard to the weather outside. My kids both got colds when we got home and my daughter ended up missing a day and a half of school when we got back. If you decide to sleep with the AC on at night, be prepared to step on wet floors when you wake up. Ours leaked all night and left a puddle of water in its wake. Upon checkout on Sunday, I wasn't in the mood to complain since we had a 12 hour drive ahead of us and I was trying to get out of the storms path, but I wrote an extended letter to corporate and never heard a response, so here I am now. If we ever decide to visit the Destin area again, I'll be sure to look past this Ramada and any Ramada anywhere and spend the extra on an actual resort or a condo.

Oh and by the way, that 30 dollar hold they applied to my card at check in (FOR INCIDENTALS?) still hasnt been put back onto my card and its been over a month. I'm over it

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here
4 Thank RepublicofTexas
atlanta
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The Plaza is a great hotel, in the fact that it is located directly on the beach. The view is magnificent. The rooms are nice and clean, as well as spacious. Waverunners are available at the property. There is a tiki hut bar directly on the beach where you can sit with friends or your loved one and enjoy great drinks seaside in your bare feet. Watching dolphins is my favorite thing to do. There is also a bar called the "Grotto", which is located at the pool. It is a really cool place to have drinks and listen to some music. There are several restaurants located within walking distance. The lush gardens throughout the property are just gorgeous! The staff is very friendly and accomodating. I do recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are a must at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimigoogle
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel September 10-15, 2011. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was a standard hotel room, and included a mini fridge. The location of the hotel is excellent. The pier and a small boardwalk are just a short walk down the beach. There are plenty of good restraurants to choose from in there. I also loved that this hotel is not piled on top of hotels or condos, making the beach very enjoyable. This is a very family friendly hotel. There is a small water park for younger children, as well as a wading pool. They also have a small beachwear/gift shop near the pool which is very convienent. During our stay I was a little dissapointed with the large pool. The grotto bar was not open (may be considered off season, so no big deal) and the large pool was like an ice bath. It was such a shame that it was not heated. It was very beautiful and one of the main reasons I booked this hotel to begin with. None of the other guests could utilize it either because of the tempature and were all packed into the heated pool. The ocean was much warmer!! The beaches were absouletly beautiful. The sand was pure white and we saw dolphins. The water is very clear and calm. We went snorkling and saw many fish and other sea creatures. All of the staff I encountered were very friendly. I had a wonderful experience at this hotel and would definitely return.

1 Thank SWEETCANDY159
cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for spend most their time outside. The amenities were fantastic. They have great Ocean View rooms that are worth the price for the view. The pool/bar area is really nice and fun. They have something for adults looking to drink and hang out as well families traveling with children.
I will have to say that the rooms are less than expected. We were in a King Ocean Front room. The view was amazing, however the room was very small. The furniture was very dated. A teeny tiny microwave & refrigerator which were extremely out dated. The bathoom was the worse part. It was clean enough, but sooooo small. There wasn't room to put anything on the counter.
When we go to Florida it's for the fun and outside so the room isn't as important. If you care about the actual room this is not the hotel for you. If you like to hang out and have fun, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Ocean Front all the way!