“Two stays in one...”

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
North East TN
“Two stays in one...”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

...First and last! On the plus side, the staff was friendly, and the outside of the hotel is nice, but the rooms are ratty! I'd suggest the powers that be spend a little more $ on renovating the rooms, and less On the "Tiki Bar", and goofy looking slide in the swimming pool!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear Our Valued Guest;

We would like you to be aware that our company has been working on a plan to update our guest rooms including all the suites. We thank you for your feedback as we too understand that we need We hope you will give us another chance after the renovation is done. As of now, It is scheduled to finished by mid-March 2012.
Please come to visit us again to experience a different atmosphere.

Sincerely;
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We needed a couple of extra days to be by the Gulf and I went on line anf found a diamond in the rough.The staff was very pleasent and engageing tending to our request which were completed post haste. The room was clean and comfortable and the free wi-fy was great.
I would stay at this hotel again and if I knew about this hotel before I bought my time share I would be 6000 dollars richer.
To the staff and management thank you it was a great time.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the gulf but I think a traveler should ask.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, 5 February 2016
Greetings Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for your feedback! It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

Merritt Island
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Arrived to a nice little tiki bar. Walked over the steps to a beautiful beach. People were very nice and rooms were great. Not a great choice for restaraunt, but overall nice stay.

Room Tip: Get 7th floor and a king size bed.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, 25 February 2016

Ohio
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I'm so glad we only had to spend one night here!!!
First let me say, we stayed on points... so, I'm usually extra lenient because of that. But this was just so bad - I have to review!!! And I don't usually leave negative reviews..I'm not too picky..as long as things are pretty clean and I feel safe.

We stayed elsewhere the rest of our week..but needed something a little closer to the airport (but still on the beach) for our last day/night in the area. As I said, I had points to use also.
I did a lot of research and thought this would be ok.

There were some positives - The Lobby is very well kept. Fish tank, nice restaurant, free popcorn. Even free movie rentals - which we used. I saw the area for the kids program..that looked decent. Once you leave that area though... forget it!!!
We had a room "upgrade" for having high status with Priority Club. I would hate to see what our original room that we booked looked like.
There are different buildings. We were in the same building as the lobby, at least. Room doors face the outside, something I personally, am not a fan of. Room was dark and small. The balcony had old rusty chairs... just felt dirty.. you could see the ocean... but we're also over one of the pools. My main thing was how dirty the heater/ac unit was. there were dead bugs on it and just gross looking. I took a picture.. but doesn't do it justice.

Onto the pools - Something that just bothers me personally...when hotels let people smoke and drink in the pool - this is suppose to be a family hotel... and here there's cigerette butts in the pool.. some other weird dirty things floating in there. I was not impressed. I know the hotel wants to please everyone .. including single, partying adults ... but there should be designated smoking areas.
The more kid-friendly pool, was next to the bar.. almost completely in the shade. Has a basketball hoop and small slide (that you need to be really careful on... or your child will fall)
my son got excited and started to run..I was in the middle of correcting him when one of the staff... who stand around the pool area, yelled at him for running. Excuse me? you are not his parent.. .and how about you say something to the people leaving their drinks and smoking near kids in the pool instead??? (seriously, people were swimming while holding beer cans)
The one great thing was the beach... which the hotel can't really take credit for.. they just happen to be there ;)
gorgeous water! soft white sand!!
However, your "complimentary" beach chair is only good until 4pm (or maybe it was 5) and they do come up and ask you to move..and they put all the chairs away.

I think for families who want something clean and fun and spend time together.. this was not the place... for families who want to let their kids do whatever they want, so the parents can go off and do their own thing - then this might work for you. And if you're single - you'd probably like it too. They do have kareoke and stuff at night.

I was unimpressed..and glad I didn't waste actual money on this hotel. Don't let their pictures fool you!!!

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ILOVETRAVEL356

Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed here one night. The only thing good besides the view was seeing this place disappear in the rear view mirror.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MsCheap1
Greetings Reviewer,

It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Your feedback has contributed to the improvement and 100% correction of your concerns. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.