“Unsafe Area, do NOT stay here”

Travelodge Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #112 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Unsafe Area, do NOT stay here”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend and regret it. Although it was clean we felt very unsafe there. Someone tried to break in both of our rooms that we stayed in and we found a dirty needle and spoon in one of the safes. The lady at the front desk was very unsympathetic to our situation and at first did not want to allow us to stay in a different room but relented when I demanded. Hotel also had a lousy breakfast. The hotel advertizes a deluxe breakfast it's not. You get cereal, juice, a muffin, and toast. No extras like fruit, eggs, oatmeal, or the other items that you typically get for a deluxe breakfast. The rooms were clean but we felt very unsafe there. When ever we would leave the room some rough looking characters that were staying there would stare at and follow us around at times. We highly recommend you not bring kids here. Please find another hotel to stay at. The sun deck which is right down the road from this one is safer than this one

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan P
fortlauderdalebeacht, Webmaster at Travelodge Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that you did not feel secure there.

• Management was approached about your experience of people trying to break into your rooms and security measures were discussed.

• The lady at the front desk received additional training in the courteous manner in which she is to treat you, our valued guest.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in properly presenting a breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
winnipeg .mb Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

my self and family made resv.well in advance,uponn our arrival we were told there was never a reservation,and there no available rooms,forcing us to make other plans...after traveling a great distance..Sortly after I was charged for the room(remember they said there was no reservation).When I called the person I talked to was very rude and very disrespectful......and hung up on me!!!!she also said I was threatening her!!!!!......AND.....THEY CHARGED US FOR NO SHOW!!!!!!!.I intend to contact the better buisness offices....I was neither rude or threatening...I was trying to ask her how a no show ,when she herself stated there was no reservation......and they were full any way.,she could not produce a reservation number,but they sure took the money off my credit card numbers

I am shocked at the attitude of thee person on the phone!!!she was blatently rude,insulting..and had noo real intrest in hearing me out.I intend to contact the department of tourism in your area,for other reviews.....thie hotel has Health department issues...I have since found out.I asked for a refund ,she promptly refused and became very angry!!!!I intend to warn other people about the treatment of travelers to this place,I will pursue this until my money is refunded in full...and will post this on facebook....(did) I recived messages from other people saying this particular clerk .was rude and unco-operative.and the hotel needs to held accountable for its dealings with the public..I will accept nothing less than a full refund.If I donot hear back from you I will continue to pursue this until I am refunded....The attitude and behavior of the clerk was astinishing!!!I also work in tourism.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sue B
fortlauderdalebeacht, Webmaster at Travelodge Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Sue B.,

Thank you for your recent attempt to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge during your recent stay in our area.

• Owner/manager was approached about setting up a system that would show all registrations made.

• Desk staff received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to conduct themselves as our employees.

I am horrified at the way you report being treated. We take our reviews very seriously, and this matter is being looked into. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again attempt to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have been to this hotel a few times it has a breakfast buffet with good waffles in fact the first time I made one I made it here so I had a good breakfast the hotel is across the road from the McDonald's and Davinci Italian and a Winn Dixie the beach is there you have to walk behind some bushes to get to the beach if you want and behind the shopping center. The hotel has been repainted it used to be brown it was redone in coral. There is shampoo provided and towels. I think the wifi works good compared to some other hotels but you have to go poolside sometimes to get it to work. Overall, recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aryan122
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I never stayed there. But I made a reservation, that when I called to confirm, was told never exsisted. Had to make last minute reservations elsewhere and then came home to a charge on my credit card.

I tried to deal with the Owner/manager and ended up lodging complaints with Travelodge and am still getting the run around.

Now that I have been to the area....there are so many other options, with honest staff.

Completely disapointed with the experience...."what comes around goes around"

Room Tip: Book another hotel. There are tons in the area.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Family V
fortlauderdalebeacht, Webmaster at Travelodge Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear CBertschinger,

Thank you for your recent attempt to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge during your recent visit to our area. I am sorry that things did not work out as you had anticipated.

• The owner/manager was approached about the situation and instructed to look into it.

• Travellodge was approached about the situation and instructed to look in to it.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again attempt to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased. We look forward to welcoming you as our valued guest.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I travel frequently within the USA and have a reasonable point of comparison for hotels/prices etc.

This hotel is considerably overpriced for what you get and has a number of negative issues:
1. Rooms are poorly maintained and below standard in terms of cleanliness
2. Furniture, carpets etc, (including beds) are very old and in need of update
3. So called "Deluxe Continental Breakfast" was a joke: only one fruit choice (oranges), two cereal choices (Sultana Bran & Frosted Flakes), one kind of milk (full cream), one kind of cheap bread for toasting (white), only spread for toast was jam (*no* peanut butter or honey etc.), hot beverages were unlabeled (was one of those coffee pots decaf or ?), bakery items were pre-packaged so not sure how fresh they were, breakfast area tables were not stable (once again indicative of poor attention to maintenance), waffle mix made very "rubbery" waffles.
4. Access to the beach not what it might appear on a map as you cannot walk through the beachfront condo properties. I walked quite a distance (15 mins) and still did not find a way onto the beach.

On the more positive side the wireless internet worked OK, they did provide a parking space, rooms though old and not clean were quite spacious, and there is a McD's, supermarket, and other shopping within easy walking distance.

Had this place cost in the vicinity of $50 - $60 I would have considered it much closer to providing what you pay for (esp. as Fort Lauderdale accommodation seems generally more expensive than many other USA locations). However, as we paid a "special" discount AAA online rate that was $90 (non-discount was closer to $100) it is clearly overpriced for what you get. I'm thinking there must be other hotels in this area that provide much better value for money and I would encourage you to investigate those before choosing this place. Be warned - like all similar places, the website photos are very misleading and look much better than reality. I definitely would *not* stay here again.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere - I expect all rooms suffer from same lack of maintenance, cleanliness, etc. and incl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank CattersGo
fortlauderdalebeacht, Webmaster at Travelodge Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that the wireless internet worked well for you.

• Management was approached about providing a map or information showing access to the beach as it will be found off line.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Fort Lauderdale Beach Travelodge. I think you will be greatly pleased.