“Outstanding Property!”

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York City, New York
“Outstanding Property!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

After a very late flight due to engine issues and rerouting to a different airport & city, we arrived at Il Lugano late in the evening exhausted. We were happy to note that the property housed an excellent restaurant we had been to years ago. Our room was ready--clean, comfortable, spacious, quiet, with superb views of the ocean. We had to leave the following day for a cruise, but would definitely stay here again and recommend it for couples who are looking for a quiet escape prior to cruising. It is not cheap--but you get what you pay for and between the professional staff, great location and luxurious comfort, this is worth every penny!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Tampa
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have a tiered way to judge a hotel room. First, the bed - second, the bathroom and third, the air conditioner. All three were excellent. I can see staying there for a few days would be great but we only needed a night. They also let us check out late and there was no problem. All in all, a nice place and I'd definitely stay there again. Plus it's close to the Mai Kai.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pablus
tenafly, new jersey
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Got an excellent price on priceline which i do not normally use and this hotel came up! we got a room with a view of the intercoastal waterway on the 6th floor - huge dbl width balcony. Room was terrific - great beds - new fully stocked kitchen, immaculately clean and filled with all cleaning products! full size fridge and dishwasher and stackable washer/dryer which we did not see till the last day! big bathroom..lobby was elegant and chic, there is s Todd English Italian restaurant in the lobby and small gym with nice locker rooms/w/sauna. The pool is not huge and only gets partial sun till about 1 at one end. There is sun along the intercoastal and you can move your chairs to get sun but it does not go on the pool. The hot tub was broken for our stay - they did try to repair it but then said it was shut. A water taxi stops at the hotel and we meter parked adjacent to the hotel to avoid valet charges. We walked to the beach about 2 blks and found it clean and quiet with showers. The night desk clerk was very helpful and told us what was open for good late nite snack. It is situated just adjacent to Lauderdale by the Sea the north end of Ft. lauderdale next to Oakland Rd it is a few miles to get over to Las Olas for shopping and dining. This is a very clean, well appointed hotel with great touches and you cant beat the quality of the rooms! There are a few local shops within a 3 min walk to grab bkfast snacks or get your hair done or grab some drinks or dinner - but otherwise, you need to drive to most places.

Room Tip: we enjoyed viewing the intercoastal and watching all the yachts passing thru the drawbridge
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jerseygirl138
NYC/NJ
Reviewed 9 April 2012

In fairness, I didn't actually stay at Il Lugano. It might be a very nice hotel (although the lobby looked like it was stuck in a 70's disco mode. I expected an upscale beach hotel) once you get past the front desk. However, the front desk staff, and especially a blonde named Carley, is reason to turn away from this hotel.

I booked via a special AAA rate. As a frequent traveler to South Florida, I decided to try to stay near the water this time. The rate was "guaranteed" and I have the email to prove it. Yet, upon check in, Carley and her co-workers (who were nicer) insisted that I must approve an extra $80 charge for "incidentals." What incidentals? I was told minibar, room damage and whatever else. I have never heard of such a charge and refused to sign for it. I was then informed that it was "mandatory." In other words, I would essentially be agreeing to allow them to charge me $80 more, on top of the price I was quoted (and have in writing. Do note that this $80 is not mentioned in my confirmation). Let's face it, they could say that this was missing, or that was damaged after I left (despite being a 50 something professional woman, married, and the mother of two grown sons) and there would be nothing I could do about it (as I'd be 1000 away!).

I continued to argue to no avail. Carley (who was fairly belligerent by now) told me this $80 was standard on all "Preferred Hotels" (a group that hotels can join if they pass certain standards -- basically 4 and 5 star hotels). Not true! I stay in "Preferred Hotels" frequently and have never seen this charge upon check in (and I always read everything I sign). And yes, I did tell her this but Carley continued to be both bored, rude, and not the least concerned that I was about to leave. I insisted on speaking to a manager. This was, afterall, a holiday weekend, and the hotel seemed to be busy. A manager must be there, right? Afraid not. He was "off-site." I pushed on this and she went into the back room to call him. Call him! Where was he (it was a he, I asked)?

Finally, another much nicer and more professional person took over (do note that the doormen were also nice). Essentially, I wanted my reservation voided and wanted proof that I wouldn't be charged. This took another 15 minutes; I didn't trust this hotel, and wanted a paper trail in case the charge appeared on my bill. I would, of course, dispute the charge. Carley actually asked me, "don't you trust us?" I said, "no."

In the meantime, various folks (mostly 20 and 30 somethings, like the staff, although I did see a few middle aged folks, too) went in and out of the lobby. The front desk staff didn't seem to care that a customer (me!) was unhappy (I didn't yell, but I didn't back down either) . I haven't encountered this level of hotel unprofessionalism in years. I do plan on writing to "Preferred Hotels" as well. If you do stay at this hotel, triple check where you "sign and initial" before you check in. If not, you might be paying for things you didn't know you
"damaged/used."

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
11 Thank DeborahPub
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Mrs. Pub

I wish to formally introduce myself, I am Michael Hatzfeld, the General Manager of il Lugano Hotel .

I would like to thank you for reaching out to us as it relates to your experience here at il Lugano. I understand our Director of Rooms, Matt Matko, reached out to you in reference to an e-mail you sent him on this matter, which we hope you received. I do apologize that he was not on property as he was off site servicing another guest upon your arrival. As it relates to our check in process there is in fact an $80 per day authorization. This is not a charge in any way, it is simply an authorization in the case you wish to charge any incidentals to your room for other services here at il Lugano. The way the authorization works is that upon checkout only the amount used will then be charged to your credit card and the remaining amount will be released. This is a common practice within the hotel industry and I apologize if this was not communicated clearly on our part.

Once again, I do apologize for the overall experience. I will personally follow-up with Matt Matko and the Front Office team to ensure our standards are set in place and that the communication to future customers is clear. Under no circumstance is your experience a reflection the norm nor the high standards we have set for our hotel. If you are ever in the Greater Fort Lauderdale Area please feel free to contact me personally. I would welcome the opportunity to have you experience a proper il Lugano vacation.

In the meantime best regards

Michael Hatzfeld
Il Lugano Hotel
Boston, MA
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Great hotel, top shelf rooms, service & restaurant. Great views and balcony overlooking the ocean or intracoastal from the rooms. The only downside (which didn't matter to us, but might matter to someone else) is that it's 2 miles down A1A from the action and from Las Olas, and the pool and outdoor area, while lovely, do not get very much sun. If that's not important, this is a great hotel. An added bonus, you don't have to spend $20/day on valet and can park in the metered area for very little $$.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple