“Way Fun!!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 1 July 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Ritz in Ft. Lauderdale it exceeded all of our expectations. We were early for check-in so we waited in the club lounge where you can relax, snack and wait for your room. Staff was extremelly attentive and welcoming. Our room was spacious with spectacular views of the intercoastal and the atlantic. The only downside to the room was that the air-conditioners on the roof below took away from some of the ambiance on the balconies. Our favorite place at the hotel was the pool and pool bar. We did have a cabana one day which was perfect for relaxing. Access to the beach from the Ritz was convenient. Protected turtle nests on the beach were great! The beach was clean except for large amounts of seaweed.

We used the concierge for dinner suggestions/reservations every night and where never dissapointed. We ate one night at the Ritz and the food was excellent. Lobby bar was very nice and had outdoor seating for lounging after dinner.

A special thank you to: Ceder, Scott, Richard, Lisa, Noya, Stephanie, Gerard, Ingrid and Yuan ... you all made our stay wonderful and helped us make more great memories!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a two bedroom residential suite which had unbelievable views from all balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Our family trip was enhanced by our 3 day stay at this beachfront property. We were all charmed and spoiled by the responsive, friendly, and omnipresent staff. Our 11th floor ocean front room was ideally situated and included a balcony facing the sea. At present, the Ritz does not charge for umbrella, towel, or beach chair use on their private beach area. This is rare as many hotels charge their guests. The one downside is a hefty 32.00 fee for valet parking. We would absolutely return.

Room Tip: Tip: Try to get a room above the 7th floor so you can have an unobstructed view of the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We ended up here after changing our plans from the Ritz South Beach after understanding it was Urban Beach Week (and it wasn't quite our scene). We were a little disappointed to not be going to South Beach, but this hotel worked out perfectly. We ended up with nicer rooms for cheaper - they were very clean and very well appointed. The location was perfect. We loved the pool area - it was nice that it was up on the 7th floor so when you looked out from your chair, you didn't see the congested Ft Lauderdale Beach, you only saw the ocean. Being a mom of a young child as well, I wouldn't have picked this hotel for a family trip, but we saw more families with young children than I would have expected here! The pool had big wide stairs which would be great for a little one and the staff seemed to be great with the kids as well. There weren't a lot of "extras" for the kiddos that I saw though that I usually see at other Ritz locations.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Ritz Cartlon Fort Lauderdale. I don't want to write a completely negative review because there were some very positive parts of my visit. But I also want to share the things that I felt could have been improved because I have stayed at other Ritz properties as well as other 5 Star hotels around the world (Four Seasons, The Montage, etc.) and found that this particular hotel failed to reach 5 Star standards. I do believe, however, with the right management decisions, this could be remedied.

Let me start with the positives:
The food at the restaurant as well as the pool cafe was excellent. Also, I found the front desk staff and the restaurant / cafe staff to be great. The Spa staff and people who worked at the small coffee / gift shop were also wonderful and helpful.

The negatives:

My room was really the biggest problem. As soon as I checked in, I began to unpack and noticed immediately that the bathtub was covered in long, dark strands of hair. All over. Stuck to the sides of the tub, along the ledge, and in the basin. I further found dark clumps of hair all over the closet floor, mixed with dust balls. And then I found even more hair along the floor in the entryway hallway between the door and the bedroom. Needless to say, this was truly disgusting. Even highway motels take pride in having hair-free rooms. The front desk and housekeeping were very apologetic. The next day, housekeeping came to do a thorough cleaning of the room. They got most of the hair but there were still strands clumped to the floor in the closet. They came again and finally seemed to get it all.

Another disappointment I had was the bathroom design -- there were no hooks to hang a robe or towel. A few wall hooks would have been very convenient. Also, the shower / tub combination was tricky because the ledge is quite high to step over to get into the shower. And I found getting out of the shower to be a bit slippery, as the shower door only closes halfway and water splashes everywhere. Overall, although the bathroom is very spacious and I loved the under-the-sink storage areas, I would have appreciated a safer and more intelligent design.

Also, the robes in my room were a little ratty. And seeing as how they were smashed against an old ironing board in the closet, they just seemed dirty. I requested new ones and was pleased with these. But I would suggest replacing the old robes and perhaps finding a different place for the ironing board or getting smaller ones that fold up more efficiently.

There is no coffee / tea maker in the room. I found this to be just plain strange. Even Motel 6 has coffee maker. And if they insist on not having a coffee maker, then it would've been nice to provide complimentary coffee / tea in the early morning for guests.

The beach area -- there were no attendants at the beach in the middle of the day on Saturday. I found this to be strange. We brought towels down from the pool, which was fine. But there were no chairs, no staff to direct us to anywhere, etc. Part of why I chose the Ritz was because I wanted a beach hotel that offered beach service. This was particularly disappointing.

Finally, my neighbors were very loud. Because the rooms share balconies -- there is only a screen that separates them, not a wall or even some kind of attractive partition. I heard them on their balcony at midnight. When I called the front desk, the person was very helpful and asked them to be quiet. Unfortunately for me -- and I suppose this is not the hotel's fault -- my neighbors continued to be loud the next night. Again, I know this isn't the hotel's fault but I did find it very irritating.

Overall, I'm disappointed with my stay. I only visited for a short time but because I have family in the area, I plan to return this winter and am hoping to come at least once per year. And for my return trip this winter, my husband and I were planning on taking my parents, his parents, and other extended family to visit with us. My short stay at the Ritz was for me to scout out the hotel and see if it's a nice place to bring our families. We do have a few handicap people so I am concerned about the shower. Otherwise, I am just overall concerned about the lack of cleanliness and the condition of the rooms. I want my stays in Florida to feel like a luxury vacation. I will look at the other luxury properties in the area and read up on their reviews. But because I've always had wonderful experiences at other Ritz properties, I was really hoping that this stay would have been better.

Finally, I never received a call from the hotel's manager. I would've appreciated it if someone contacted me about my stay, especially after hearing about the hair in the room. I think this, more than anything else (except perhaps the loud neighbors), was what I found to be truly sub-standard.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has been thoroughly cleaned by housekeeping.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Rose L
Reviewed 19 June 2012

good views, friendly staff i would go back................................................................................................................

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo