“Good hotel with a bad airport shuttle experience”

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Edmonds, Washington
“Good hotel with a bad airport shuttle experience”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed at the Hampton based on the other positive feedback we had read, and the availability of both airport and cruise terminal transportation. After a bad start with the airport shuttle, the rest of the stay and service was very good. We called from the airport pickup island for the shuttle. After waiting over 3/4 hour, we had seen the flamingo van drive by once without pulling into the pickup area. When we called back to the hotel, the clerk was very condescending and insisted we we not waiting in the correct spot. He directed us to walk, luggage in tow, two terminals over, to a second (identical) pickup island. After another wait of approximately 30 minutes, we were finally picked up. I'm still not sure why this hotel could only pick up at the one terminal, when every other hotel seemed to have no problem driving to the pickup islands at all the terminals (several of which we saw come and go multiple times).
Once we finally made it on the shuttle, the rest of the experience was very good. Check-in was smooth, we had a comfortable and clean room for a night of pre-cruise sleep. We found out the next morning that the hotel was packed, as 9 cruise ships were leaving port that day. In spite of the crowd, there was a good breakfast selection and we were able to find a place to sit. The front desk helped us find an earlier cruise port shuttle than we had been assigned the night before. The shuttle driver was friendly and talkative, even provding riders with directions on where to find the shuttle post-cruise if returning to the hotel. In spite of the frustrating start, I'd stay here again. The rest of the stay was good enought that I'd guess our airport experience was an aberration.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S2rmin-Norman
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Hello there.....and thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate hearing feedback from all our guests. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean room and had a great experience with our breakfast! I am also happy that you found the shuttle drivers to be friendly and helped you with directions. And yes....when we have 9 ships at the cruise port.....it can be incredibly busy in the hotel. I do apologize about the wait for your pick up time. Our shuttle does go to all of the terminals.... what it sounded like to me was that after our van reached terminal one, we ended up having a full van and had to go back to the hotel to empty out guests and then come back to pick you. Sometimes it is hard to predict how many guests will arrive at what terminal.......we have had as many as 40 arrive at the same time and same terminal! We truly do our best to get all of our wonderful guests picked up as quickly as we can and we do appreciate your patience when we have multiple ships in port. It means a lot to me that you still had a good stay and would come back again on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA! I would love to personally welcome you back!

GM
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
NY
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Booked this hotel for a one-night pre-cruise stay in Ft Lauderdale. Family of four--Grandma, Mom, Dad, and 8-year old boy staying together, so we booked the large suite---2 king beds. Room was a large and clean space on the first floor. Room was well appointed with plenty of seating and lounge space, with a microwave and mini-fridge. Beds were quite comfortable. Room was very quiet, too, despite being just a fews steps from the lobby. The hotel is a bit dated, but carpets were clean and fresh. The pool was crystal clear and the pool area was a comfortable and pleasant place to relax before turning in for the night. The registration desk staff, Diane and Michael, were extremely friendly and helpful. Pickup at the airport was fairly prompt---they promised 15 minutes and driver Patrick arrived right on time. The BEST fun was watching for the pickup van with the FLAMINGOES on the top!!!!! Can't miss those birds and there's no chance of getting on the wrong shuttle. We did have a bit of disappointment scheduling the shuttle to the port the next morning---Hampton Inn will not reserve port shuttle times until you check in, and since we arrived fairly late---after 7:00PM, we were limited to a choice of 10:00 am or a 1:30 shuttle time.---we were hoping for 11:30. We chose 10:00 AM and it turns out in hindsight that was a GOOD choice---probably the BEST choice. No need to hang out in a crowded lobby just waiting. Shuttles are supposed to leave every 30 minutes, however, our van didn't leave until 10:15, and traffic to the port was starting to pile up, so I can only surmise that they get backed up as the morning wears on. We arrived at the port at 10:30. I would highly recommend an early shuttle to the port. Despite the hotel being full, breakfast the next morning wasn't crowded---typical Hampton Inn breakfast--fresh, hot, good.
WARNING: the hotel advertises free 24-hour shuttle service to and from the airport and to restaurants within the vicinity---only after you get there do you find the signs that state the shuttle service is only for a one-mile radius of the hotel.
WE chose NOT to walk across the street to the strip mall for fast food--surrounding neighborhood didn't seem that great---but chose instead to ask the desk staff to call us a cab for the Outback Steakhouse (about 2.4 miles away). There happened to be another family group waiting for a cab to the same restaurant and Diane at the desk asked the cab company if we could share the ride. Turns out there is NO RIDE SHARING with the ALL STAR cab company---we were told each group would have to pay a flat $15 each way. OK, first time in the area, hungry, we said OK. When the driver got there, he was asked how much and he took it upon himself to quote a higher price---after a minute or two of discussion, the $15 per party was the agreed on price. Then during the trip he tried to sell us on a voucher for a return trip if we paid him the full $60 round-trip up front. He promised to come back and pick us up after our dinner. Not sure what turnip truck he thought we fell off. We will NOT be using the ALL STAR cabs again when in Ft Lauderdale!
Hampton Inn is usually my hotel of choice whenever I travel, however, I probably will not choose this one again when travelling with a youngster due to the lack of good restaurants within walking distance of the property. The free airport and port shuttles are quite a nice convenience though, and the hotel-provided shuttle experience was excellent, both from the airport and to the port.

Room Tip: The Hospitality Suite has two king beds and tons of room--plus a sofa, two chairs, desk, large flat...
4 Thank eie3
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Greetings eie3NY! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review on Trip Advisor about my hotel . We always enjoy hearing positive feedback about our hotel and your experience here. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the large room, commented on how clean it was and you seemed to be very happy with our service! And yes....our Flamingo's make it darn near impossible to miss us! As far as walkable restaurants in the area...dont forget there is a GREAT Thai restaurant next door, a sports bar, a German restaurant across the street(as well as Wendy's, Mcdonalds, Subway and Pizza and Chinese)....TONS of options to eat! We are also one of the few hotels that I know of that will actually shuttle you FREE of charge within a mile of the hotel. We have 3 more great options within a mile....Rendesvouz Restaurant, 84 Diner and El Tammarindo (latin cuisine). I am glad that you had a nice stay with us and I would love to personally welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!
Kentucky
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn the night before we went cruising and it was a good decision. The team picked us up free from the airport and safely transported us to the hotel. The neighborhood appeared skeptical but it turned out fine. The hotel is across the street from a grocery store, dollar store, citi trends (sells clothes), McDonalds, and a grocery store. If you go to google maps you will see what this area has to offer. Since Hampton provides transportation from the airport as well as to the port, there was no need to rent a car. Make sure you put your name on the list for transportation to the port the next day. It fills up quick and most ships let you on as early as 11:00 am. The lobby is nice and the room was comfortable. We requested a roll away bed and still had plenty of room though we had two double beds. Our kids really enjoyed the pool. Though the hotel is located near a high traffic area, we really did not hear anything. Also we never worried about our safety while in the Hampton Inn area. Our breakfast was adequate and filled the void until we boarded Royal Caribbean. The lady that runs the breakfast area is kind and customer focused. We should have stayed here when we returned from the cruise but we stayed at the Marriott resort and it definitely was not worth it. Overall our stay at Hampton Inn was pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their larger rooms on a higher floor for additional space.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank breaun
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Greetings Breaun from Kentucky! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! We enjoy hearing feedback from our wonderful guests. I am very happy that you thought the lobby was nice and the room was clean and comfortable. I am also glad to hear that you felt safe in the area. (It really is NOT a bad area....it just looks industrial due to being close to the airport and cruise port!). Thank you for mentioning Raquel, our breakfast attendant, she does a GREAT JOB! One of our favorite parts of your review was when you said that you even preferred our hotel to that "other brand" that starts with an "M"! The fact that it was even a resort and you still wished you had stayed here, is a huge compliment to us! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!

Northwest Illinois
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel the first night we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale (late flight) and the night before we left (early flight). Although we were not cruisers, it still was a good location, close to the airport, and easy to get too. The hotel was mostly filled with people spending the night either before or after a cruise.

The room size was good for four people, beds were comfortable and wi-fi worked well. We enjoyed breakfast at the pool area in the morning, and even had time to swim before the 11 o'clock check-out time.

The only thing that I found odd, was that there was only one computer available for guest use (connected to a printer - for boarding pass print needs) and it was located in a hallway across from the workout room. This happened to be in the hallway we used to get to our room, so I noticed that twice there were people stacked up and waiting for the computer. It caused problems blocking the hallway, prevented easy access to the work out room, and also didn't offer any privacy as to what was on the computer. screen. It isn't an ideal situation.

Other than that, I would return to the hotel and recommend it to others.

1 Thank pdrane56
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Greetings Pdrane56.....I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a nice review on Trip Advisor about my hotel. We love hearing positive feedback about our hotel! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the size of the room, had a good experience with both the beds and the wifi ( LOVE THOSE BEDS!) and liked our breakfast! I do appreciate the feedback about the business center and will see if there is anything we can do to improve it (for the future, anyone that needs to use a computer but the lobby is tied up....just ask the desk to use one of ours in the back office....we would be HAPPY to help you).
Again, I truly appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I want to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

Boise, ID
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Our family (4 of us) lodged at the Hampton Inn for one night prior to embarking on a cruise. We chose this hotel based on the excellent reviews it has received and the fact that our hometown (Boise, Id) Hampton Inn is a favorite of my wife and me for relaxing weekend getaways. Unfortunately, this Hampton Inn did not live up to expectations. We arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale airport at around 8:00pm and with our flight being late and us being tired from a long day of traveling, we elected to take a cab to the hotel instead of waiting for the shuttle van (at least a 20 to 30 minutes wait). We arrived at the front desk to be greeted by an exhausted clerk who exclaimed she wasn’t checking in anymore guests. Obviously, she was half joking, but not the type of remark you really want to hear when you just want to get settled into your room.

Though the hotel is close to a strip mall with several fast-food restaurants, I wouldn’t say it is located in the best part of town. We got dinner at the McDonald’s next door but certainly would not recommend anyone else doing so (lousy food, service, and cleanliness). The hotel itself is clean but quite dated and definitely showing its age. Our room had two queen beds, which were clean and comfortable, but no microwave or mini-fridge (though I learned later some rooms apparently do have them). The front desk, lobby, and breakfast areas are way too small to accommodate the weekend cruising crowds it gets.

Since we arrived later than most other folks, we couldn’t get a good shuttle time (anticipating this, I did attempt to call a couple of days beforehand to schedule the shuttle, but was told I could not do so until we had checked in). Our shuttle time was 1:30pm and with check out at noon, we had to hang out at the crowded lobby for nearly two hours (our shuttle was about 20 minutes late). The shuttle service was good and the driver was friendly and helpful. We did attempt to call for a cab instead, but of the three cab companies listed in the hotel’s directory, two never answered after countless attempts and the other said they didn’t service the Ft. Lauderdale area (I take it the cabs are rather busy on cruising days).

All in all, our family would not stay here again. But if you just need a clean, comfortable bed the night before a cruise and don’t mind a less-than-modern hotel, enjoy the company of a crowd of people while eating breakfast, and are willing to wait around a lot for the free shuttle rides from the airport and to the port terminals (though you should tip the driver), then this hotel may suit your needs just fine (obviously it does for a lot of people).

1 Thank HavingFunInBoise
Dear HavingfuninBoise- I wanted to thank you for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor review and give us your feedback on your last stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It sounds to me like most of the issues you had were not wanting to wait for our complimentary shuttle from the airport or not wanting to wait for our open times on the complimentary shuttle to the cruise port. I sincerely apologize. I would say that 20 minutes or so is a pretty standard pick up time for the airport for us. The reason why we wait until a guest checks in to sign them up on the cruise port shuttle is so that the playing field is fair for everyone ....and the fact that many flights come in late or are cancelled. As far as the hotel being "dated", we just went through a major renovation less than 2 years ago ..perhaps its the Theme we chose that is throwing you off.......it is different than most Hampton Inns.....We have a British Colonial Theme.....Most of the feedback we have heard so far has been positive. I do apologize that the cab companies in the area were not very responsive to you......they are very busy as well on a cruise weekend. Our hotel runs 3 shuttles a day starting around 10:30am up until 3:30pm (Most Ships dont leave until 5pm) 1:30 pm is usually a pretty coveted time for us to take guests to the port since most ships dont allow boarding until between 12pm and 1pm. Again I am sorry we were unable to get you there earlier and would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit.