Lowest prices for your stay
$171
$159
Booking.com$171
Travelocity$171
getaroom.com$177
All reviews free breakfast front desk staff room was large breakfast room convenient location keys everglades
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 February 2022

We made reservations for 2 nights and stopped by 2 hours before 3pm to ask about early check in. The tall older man at the front desk who identified himself as a front desk agent didn't even let me ask or talk before sharply saying that there were no early checkins allowed, and don't even ask until 3pm. When finally I asked if there maybe, might be a room cleaned prior, he said no, no way, don't even come back before 3pm. His demeanor was rude, abrupt, unwelcoming, unflexible, and ensured that I will never come here again. How nice to know that as an IHG "member", I cen get such exclusive treatment for my money and loyalty. I already can't wait to leave.

Date of stay: February 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florida City-Gateway To Keys, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2022

Hi James A,

Thank you for looping us into your concern about the staff's behavior. What you described certainly is not the kind of experience we want any of our guests to have. We strive to offer the type of hospitality our guests value most where the essentials are done exceptionally well, but that did not happen on your visit. I am sorry to miss out on this area. I've communicated your sentiments with our management team for review and I've also sent you a private message to discuss this further.

I hope to get another chance to host your next visit as we promise to make the value of your experience worth it for all the right reasons.

Yours in hospitality,

Jeraldine R.
IHG Service

Reviewed 14 January 2022

We used this hotel due to its convenient location near the Florida Keys and our faith in the IHG brand. Arriving late at night after flight delays we could not believe the poor state of the room we walked into.

The whole building smells of smoke and mould. The carpets are filthy and need replacing. The rooms are filthy - walking on the carpet with socks on for 5 minutes made them brown. Multiple light globes in the room were not working and the iron had a missing cover which meant the water tank emptied all over your clothes.

The complex looks badly run down and in desperate need of a renovation. We could not depart quickly enough.

It is surprising to me that IHG allows a hotel of this standard to be advertised under their brand.

Room tip: Go to another hotel.
Date of stay: January 2022
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florida City-Gateway To Keys, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2022

Hi Mary P,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at our hotel.

We're committed to providing you with the best overall experience. I'm sorry to hear about the undesirable smell of the facility, the untidy condition of the room, carpets, non-functioning light globes, and missing iron cover. I recognized your disappointment and this isn't the experience you've come to expect from us. I shared your review with our hotel management. I'm certain that all you've highlighted will be looked into, so we can better serve you in the future. I also sent you a private message discussing this matter.

We're grateful to have you as one of our valued guests. I hope you'll give us another chance to host your stay and we'll do our best to make your next visit better than the last!

Stay safe,

Jomar M.
IHGService

Reviewed 17 October 2021 via mobile

As the other reviews mention this is a hotel to avoid. Very very dated by HIE standards. No breakfast buffet open as expected with HIE, grab and go only. Housekeeping is not daily and only by request of which they don’t state when checking in so you have no way to know this. The room was dirty and in need of a very deep cleaning (carpet, blinds). As a spire member I expect far more from the HIE brand, this hotel severely falls short of a one star experience. Not at all recommended.

Room tip: Avoid all together
Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Getmarshall
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florida City-Gateway To Keys, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2021

Hi Getmarshall,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent hotel experience.

We do our best to provide top-notch service and accommodation. I'm sorry for the reduced housekeeping service and breakfast items. In response to the COVID-19 situation, we have put in place modified procedures and reduced services to promote the safety of our guests and employees.

I have shared your comments with the hotel management for their review. I am confident they will take steps to improve the service and amenities we provide.

As our valued IHG Rewards Spire Elite member, we would love the opportunity to provide a better and memorable hotel experience.

Warm regards,

Zel N.
IHGService

Reviewed 26 September 2021

First, the hotel is old and dated and needs a complete makeover. That is not, however, serious enough to warrant a low rating of the hotel. The test of an excellent hotel, however, is whether the staff MEETS your needs and EXCEEDS your expectations. I'll explain.

I am an IHG Rewards Gold member and asked for a one-hour late checkout. Stephanie, who was dressed in sweats with no I.D. whatsoever and sitting on chairs in the lobby told me that she would only give me until 11:30. I protested and then she said "We only give late checkouts if they are available and since none are available, the latest I can give you is 11:30 a.m. If you stay in the room until 12:00 noon, I will charge you for an additional day!"

She told me that she didn't want to "inconvenience" the housekeeping staff. Inconvenience the housekeeping staff?! What about the customers!?

Stephanie got annoyed because I was irritated, but the best way to handle an irritated customer is to deescalate the situation, not escalate the situation by becoming vengeful.

Stephanie doesn't realize or doesn't want to face reality that there is a Marriott across from the Holiday Inn Express and I will be staying there next time. Stephanie thinks that by being mean and vengeful she wins. But in fact, she "wins the battle but loses the war." Thankfully capitalism rewards companies that meets people's needs and punishes those that don't.

I wrote a complaint e-mail to a Mr. Lima but got no response. What does that tell you?!

Date of stay: September 2021
1  Thank vazzinpb
Reviewed 1 August 2021

The Holiday Inn Express in Florida City has been on my itinerary many times. Years ago I was happy to see the renovation and posted several positive reviews.

However times change and during this visit it was mediocre at best. COVID-19 does not make organising a hotel easier but at least the personnel can do an additional step to make the difference.

Relatively uninterested and without care the reception is manned by different employees. Service is inconsistent and there seems to be a genuine disinterest in helping the guests.

Rooms are basic and up to par with HIE standards. Because of COVID-19 no breakfast is served yet, which was quite interesting seen the state policy, so you have to grab a bag in the morning.

This hotel serves the absolute basic needs of having a bed and a decent room but do not expect any additional frills. It does serve its purpose if you are in the area.

Date of stay: July 2021