“Terrific Tapas”

Espana Restaurant & Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Espana Restaurant & Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Centre Street
Description: The traditional flavors of Spain and Portugal are highlighted in all our dishes here in the heart of historic Fernandina Beach. Sip on homemade Sangria or enjoy a glass of wine from a list of hand picked selections (International and Californian). Choose from a menu of hot and cold tapas, "just caught" fish or meat entrees including the national dish of Spain, Paella. You can choose to dine in our cozy main dining room, bright enclosed patio dining room or lush garden dining area which is open generally Thursday - Sunday and weather permitting :) Chef Roberto is a second generation restaurateur, with over 28 years experience. He endeavors to make your evening a memorable one by bringing both his own family recipes, and inspiration from trips to Spain and Portugal for you to savor and enjoy. Family owned and operated since 2004. The Original on Amelia Island!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One of our best dining experiences of the year. We were so taken with the quality and value that we returned three nights in a row and this is not our normal practice, usually preferring to try different restaurants and cuisines in an area when traveling. Three different tapas, three different entrees, two different salads and two different desserts (flan and flourless chocolate cake - both truly exceptional and we grew up in Miami and know our flan!) - everything superb.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We love the atmosphere at Espana we had a group to take to dinner. The staff was wonderful , food was good however even though people said not spicy everyone’s dish including mine burned your mouth , I love spice but it was over the top. Never had this happen! The chef overdid the hot sauce big time.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

I had exceptionally high hopes for Espana. I've been told it has the best fresh fish in Fernandina, a praise that I questioned given the number of high-end restaurants in Fernandina Beach. That said, I didn't have fish - it is Espana after all - I had paella.

In my younger years I spent some time in Spain, along the Mediterranean Coast and in western Spain. I had the opportunity to eat authentic paella, both in restaurants and prepared by people I stayed with. I've had paella in the U.S., which is usually a huge disappointment, but I had to give it a try at this restaurant.

I'll cut right to the chase. The paella was good, not great. It had no crisp crust, or socarrat, which is, in my opinion, the best part of the dish. It's the part I want in the dish and Spaniards that cook it well will explain to their foreign guests that a well-made paella has this and tender, but not creamy, rice above it. Yes, I am going on about this point, but from a Spanish restaurant that touts its paella I expected it to be cooked to perfection. It was not, especially given we'd arrived early (around 6 pm) so the chefs were not overwhelmed with orders.

Service was very good. Our waiter (and others) were stopping by our table with regularity to keep drinks full and offer advise on dishes. The atmosphere was good, although I little loud (a neighboring table was a little over-indulgent on wine). I also had flan to top off the night that was very well made.

Others at the table did have the fish special and were very pleased. It was fresh and cooked perfectly. Appetizers were good (shrimp for one and chorizo for the other), but again not great. Three of the four had salads which were all very good (garden salads and salad with blue cheese). Wine selection offered us all something to our liking - I think all four of us had different wines and we were all happy with what we received.

In general, Espana is a nice restaurant and I'll give them one more chance to get the paella right. At about $250 for four, dinner should be memorable. Espana came up just short.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Very tasty tapas. We had the papas bravas, gambas al ajillo and Champinones a la Espana. All were excellent. Very busy inside and dark. A little hard to read the menu but it made for nice ambiance. Bread basket was delicious too. Service was a little slow because it was so busy but the waiter was very nice and professional once he got to us. I would definitely go back. Very nice restaurant with a lot of items on the menu.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Took my wife out for a last minute, Monday night dinner. Pulled up to a packed house but they were still able to seat us right away. Thank you Jesus! OK ... bread & butter was good, salad was outstanding, dinners - especially my spicy snapper was perfect. Flan for desert was just as good. Amelia Island is not a place I will frequent but when I return, Espana will be on the agenda.