“Good Value Near the Beach”

SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel June 28-July 3 and had a good experience overall. The hotel is well-maintained inside (not dated), and basically the same level outside. Every member of the staff I interacted with was kind and professional -- some were downright friendly. The hotel was really full the majority of my stay, so there was a day that cleaning was delayed, but it happened eventually. The beds are pretty standard, nothing fancy. The elevator is slow, take the stairs if you can. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and the ocean is also walking distance (5-8 min in the sun), but even around July 4 there was plenty of parking at the public beach (Calhoun) access nearest this hotel. I would say that the balcony upgrade isn't worth it since your view will be of the parkway and the go kart track next door ("Slow down! Slow down! Slow down when entering the pit!"). However, from inside the room we were NOT able to hear the go karts and we were the closest room to The Track. The free continental breakfast was sufficient. I don't mean that in a bad or good way. I partook everyday and never went away hungry. There was a lady who restocked the whole time. However, they only have one waffle iron and with the crowd that was insufficient. My only complaint was that they wanted to charge us $75 for late checkout, when originally we were eligible for a free night. Now it was my fault that we didn't pre-book that so I'm not holding a grudge about it. And Destin was busy at the time, either way the $75 wasn't worth it to us so we left. (I believe that's the idea.)

Overall, better amenities, staff and atmosphere than other chains at the same price point.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank April M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2012

We just returned from a stay at this hotel.Pictures are deceiving. Breakfast each day was terrible(we were there for four days) out of coffee, juice,cereal etc. and for more than a few minutes. The eating area is not well maitained - dirty- throughout breakfast. Rooms were not cleaned daily. Bad hotel

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Gosh, I am quite regretful to read your review of our hotel. I am a little concerned that you may have gotten our hotel confused with the other SummerPlace condo as several things are extremely our of character for our hotel. We not only offer contiental breakfast - but we also offer assortments varying of eggs, sausage, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy and waffles which are served daily. Additionally, we service our rooms daily - unless a guest requests no service.

This being said, if this was your experience at our hotel - I am extremely regretful that at no time during your stay did you express any concerns to the staff or management so that we may correct the shortcomings you felt you were experiencing. I welcome the opportunity to speak to you about any concerns you may have directly - please call me if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

This hotel was a great stay for our familys first vacation to Destin.Our stay was from June 28 to July 1st.The room was big enough to meet our needs, love the ceiling fan it really helped to keep the room cold.The room was very clean, we had a King bed with a sofa bed,fridge,microwave,flat screen t.v,hall closet to hang your clothes ,the bathroom was very large as well.
This hotel is located very close to the beaches,shopping areas,restaurants,and attractions!!!
The staff were VERY FRIENDLY an HELPFUL.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for such a wonderful review of our hotel :) We pride ourselves on living above and beyond expectations of guests so that when they are here with us - they feel like royalty. I hope that we get the pleasure of wowing you again - and helping make another memory!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2012

This hotel is in the middle of everything in Destin! Hundreds of restaurants, shopping malls, beaches, and attractions! Not ON the beach...but close.. This hotel offers military and government discounts...has complimentary breakfast and wi-fi... We checked in earlier than expected and was allowed a late check out! Rooms were very clean! Hotel was better than expected!

1  Thank Madambleau
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

First I'd like to say thank you for your service to our country. We are proud to offer military and government discounts - as we are proud to have you as guests in our hotel. Thank you also for taking the time to share about the SummerPlace Inn. We are very fortunate to have such a central location in Destin, and also be across the street from the Destin Beach. We hope we have the pleasure of taking care of you again!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We decided to extend our vacation by one day and chose this hotel, big mistake...

My wife and I stayed in room 221 on June 29th 2012 with our 15 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER!! Upon arriving to our room it was very hot. The air was set to 72 degrees so we lowered it to 68 and left for dinner. When we returned the room was still extremely hot. We attempted to call the front desk but the phone didn't work, so I walked down. The desk attendant came up and reset the ac and managed to get the compressor to kick on, sadly it only lasted 7 minutes. I used my personal phone to contact the front desk again and she quickly said "we are full but I can give you I can give you 30.00 off the room". I asked for a refund so that we could search for another hotel. She said she wasn't authorized to do this we would need to speak with her GM the next day. I figured out that I could reset the unit and get the compressor to run for 7 minutes as many times as I wanted so I slept a couple hours then reset the unit a few times over and over in order to provide my family with some comfort and avoid possibly paying double (180.00) for one night in Destin. This was one of the hottest nights in Florida and needless to say not good for a baby...

The next morning we went to the desk to speak with the GM and the desk clerk came back and said "she's in the middle of paperwork and will be just a moment". After waiting a few minutes she came back and said "I'm sorry our GM is just finishing a conference call and will not be available today but I can give you 50.00 dollars off the room and she will contact you tomorrow". In disbelief I said "all day"? After informing her that I would be calling corporate and that I'm also the GM of a reputable company and customer service starts with me we left.

Needless to say we are not happy with this style of management, what type of leader sends a clerk and hides in the back after that kind of night? I intend to find out if corporate management for this company encourages this behavior from it's leaders, in writing as many times as it takes to get a real response. I would also like to inquire if anyone else stayed in this room without AC recently, I firmly believe this hotel knowingly rents rooms with faulty AC and I intend to file a formal complaint with OSHA. Please send emails to bfore73@yahoo.com with your experience.

And Mistelle, next time get out of your chair, come out of your office, and face your customers...

6  Thank NOLA4U
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

I apologize that this is your impression of our hotel. First, let me note that the hotel did offer to allow you to check out and find another hotel - however you chose to take the room with a discount instead. Moving on, unfortunately I was not actually at the hotel on Saturday when you departed and asked to speak with me. I can assure you, just as I take the time to individually respond to every guest review, EVERY employee at the hotel believes in doing everything they can within reason for our guests and that starts from our owners and is upheld by all employees in this hotel. Had I been in a position where I could come speak to you I would have - however please understand that I can not be here and I am not here 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Again, I regret that this is your impression of our hotel. I wish you the best of memories on your future vacations.