“Catch to Table”

Brotula's Seafood House & Steamer
Ranked #7 of 404 Restaurants in Destin
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 29
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Description: Brotula's Seafood House & Steamer is a locally-owned & operated, casual, family friendly seafood restaurant on the Destin Harbor. The name Brotula's is derived from the Bearded Brotula or Cusk Eel that is caught right here in the local waters at depths of 350 feet. It is one of the best kept secrets among the local fishing community and some amazing tasting fish. Here at Brotula's we specialize in fresh, locally-sourced seafood, produce, and a wide array of steamed and boiled shellfish platters that are integrated into a fun and rustic, yet sophisticated southern fish house. Some of our most popular dishes includes the steamed snow crab, lobsters, and mussels. The Chef Inspired menu will display a wide variety of flavors, with focuses on New South culinary preparations of traditional coastal offerings from around the country. Come and join us for a one-of-a-kind dining experience!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My son and I caught a king Mackeral and walked into Brotulas with it for lunch. Wow! First off the staff was wonderful Danielle was amazing in handling our needs. She was. Sry courteous and friendly. While we sat at the table the chef appeared. The chef was very engaged and knowledgeable. After a few minutes discussing options we decided to give him the fish and he did chefs choice.

Wow! This picture says it all! Chef prepared the King Mackeral 3 different ways with three different sides all were absolutely amazing! I would go back there in a heartbeat. Thank you Team Brotulas!

2  Thank _terrymilton50
Tyler J, Owner at Brotula's Seafood House & Steamer, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

We're glad you had an excellent time here and enjoyed your King Mackeral! We'll be sure to let Danielle and Chef Tommy know about the kind words. Looking forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Best waiter by far! Very helpful with making decisions and also very nice. Will give great deals and makes good conversation.

Tyler J, Owner at Brotula's Seafood House & Steamer, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

We're so glad you loved the service and had a wonderful time with us! Looking forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We caught a King Mackeral fishing and Brotulas cooked our catch. It was fabulous!. The chef prepared the fish three different ways with several sides, and a perfect presentaion. Danielle provided excellent service and the manager Erin and Chef both added their personal touch. Another patron even stopped by our table as they left to ask “what did you order?” It obvisouly drew the attention of those eating nearby. Highly recommend.

We're so glad you enjoyed the Hook N' Cook! We'll be sure to pass along the kind words to Chef Tommy. Looking forward to having you all back soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

My family of 6 went into this establishment with high hopes, after reading through several reviews of crab legs in the area. We called to get the price of King crab legs as it is based off market value, they told us it would be $44.99, as opposed to the 1lb of snow crab build your boil for $23.99. My husband and I agreed we are on vacation, our last night in Destin, we should splurge a bit and go for the meatier option. I will get back to that, on their website it solicits a type of "call ahead" seating app, I downloaded it and to my surprise, they were not accepting "call ahead" on this particular day. I called and the employee said to me that "it is rude to the other customers who walk in to allow this" on this particular day (Monday) and they shut it off for the evening, she stated that the wait would be about 30-45 minutes right now (while on the phone) we headed the 1.8 miles to the location and pulled in around 7:20 pm, we were surprised that the parking lot was spacious with plenty of parking, we were able to snag 2 spots right in front. My husband went in and put our name in, and was also asked to be given his number so that they could "text" when something opened up for a table of 6. He obliged, and as he was walking out noticed several clean, and empty tables, over 1/2 the inside was empty. He was confused and asked me again about the call ahead, and said that he thinks whomever I spoke with gave me incorrect information because there was nobody other than the 6 of us waiting and plenty of tables, he was assuming that they were people who reserved ahead and they were keeping those tables open for them. So we waited, my elderly father had to use the restroom, so he went in to do his business, and when he came out he told the girls at the front that they were out of paper towels in the men's restroom, they said "Thank you, we will fill that immediately". After about 35 minutes waiting out sides, watching MANY patrons leave, and no others coming in, we decided to go in and check to see how much longer. And when I walked in I was confused, because there was only 1 table on the upper section that had customers, all the other tables were completely empty and clean, with nobody other than us waiting. One of the girls up front said it should only be a few more minutes until a table is cleared. By 8:15 pm we were seated. Our server Derek came over within a couple minutes and apologized for our wait. He asked us what we wanted to drink, I ordered a special drink $10 off their cocktail menu, he said good choice and then asked me what flavor??? Again confused I opened it up and told him I thought what I was reading was the actual drink, he looked and said Oh I guess that is it. I also then ordered the Fried Green Tomato appetizer, and told him that we only wanted the bacon jam and tobasco sauce, we do not want the goat cheese, also if we can have the jam and tobasco on the side, he said absolutely. I then asked if my 5 year old can have a little mac n cheese instead of fries with her chicken strips, his words "I will have to ask the chef, sometimes they get angry about that, they may charge extra" (he came back and said $2.50 more for Mac, and we said no thank you) My son ordered the hamburger with a bunch of things on it, and asked if he could substitute mashed potatoes and gravy instead of fries, Derek said "Yes no problem" (we ended up being charged $2.25 for the switch, which was never mentioned. I ordered the KING CRAB LEGS, my mom ordered the SNOW CRAB LEGS, my 4 legs came out on a rectangle dish with roasted potatoes, my mom's came out on a huge aluminum bowl, but I thought well at least I will have bigger pieces of crab, not the case, not only were the legs filled with water (probably from sitting in a bucket), they were also cold, offered very little meat, a very light pink almost sand-like in color, they were impossible to crack, we even tried using scissors, they were look a hard rubber material, very weird. My mom's snow crab was meaty, RED, and easy to crack. My husband ended up speaking to the manager on duty, just to inform her that they may want to not sell anymore of what they gave me as it has gone bad, we did not ask for a refund or comp but she did comp the king crab, which was a nice gesture. My daughter and I went to the restroom, and while I was in there realized there was no toilet paper, so I had my daughter go to another stall to get me some. I immediately told the girls up front that the 2nd stall was out of toilet paper, they seemed to rush to change it. I skipped the part that it took us about an hour to get our dinner, again with very few people sitting outside on the deck and even less in the main dining area. We received our check after having to ask for it, I did tip on $160, however it is the smallest percent I have ever given, the lowest I have ever gone, even when most things go awry, is 15%, I could not in any shape or form justify giving even that. If the service was even sub par I would've. We just had a server at Anglers (WONDERFUL FOOD and SERVICE) 27% tip the day prior. But hold your horses, this wasn't even the worst part, my dad and husband went to use the restroom and wash hands after dinner, and guess what????? Still no paper towels, again we as a family are not complainers, but come on, there were not enough patrons in there the whole 3 hours we were there to use up a whole roll after the first time, but out of respect, we politely told the manager on duty as she was walking past, that the men's restroom is out of paper towels, she said ok I will have someone fill it, that is when my husband said, we told them this when we first arrived, the manager turned around and said in a louder voice, "Well that is because we are all out of paper towels!!" rolled her eyes and stomped off. That was it for me, I have NEVER written a bad complaint on any reviews because I understand bad days happen, things son't always go as planned, however I have worked in the Customer Service industry for 25+ years and I have never raised my voice and given nasty looks to customers, no matter how difficult, and I worked in the financial service industry for years, you don't mess up peoples food or money, those are the 2 sure ways to get them angry. The bottom line, they need help, good help, they need to restructure how they do things and make sure everyone is on the same page, and for goodness sake, they need to stop selling old king crab legs. I left there feeling horrible for bringing my family to this place, and I have never felt like that before. I hope things change before summer comes, because if not, there will be nobody left to serve.

We always want our customers to feel like they had a great experience with us, and we're disappointed to hear that wasn't the case. It sounds like there were some areas we fell through in, and we're sorry to hear you didn't have a more smooth visit. We source only the freshest seafood and only serve up the best of the best -- had we know about your dissatisfaction at the time, we would've been more than happy to replace the crab legs. All in all, your experience is not representative of what we do here -- we hope you'll give us another chance to make it up to you. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We have been to Brotula’s twice in our short stay in Destin. We brought in trigger fish from our charter fishing trip and had them cook it up in trio of blackened, broiled and fried with our pick of sides. It was so amazing that we came back with our catch from what was caught on the shore at our condo. The chef was amazing and talked to us. Our waitress Mallorie was very attentive and took care of us from start to finish. In addition a great view. Thank you Brotulas we will be back next time!

1  Thank Julie D

Julie, thank you for the repeated business -- that's always one of the highest compliments. We'll be sure to pass along the kind words to the team. We look forward to having you back soon!