“Super Value is the Only Word for This Place”

Extended Stay America - Destin - US 98 - Emerald Coast Pkwy.
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Atlanta, GA
“Super Value is the Only Word for This Place”
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Been feeling a little tense lately (family matters) and knew that I needed an escape to the beach. Took off and headed to Destin, FL., wanted to see the water one more time before any oil made it to the Gulf Coast of Florida. Average hotel pricing ranged from about $89 to well over $200 for a night. Found the Motel 6 at $49 plus tax, however it was further away from the part of the beach that I wanted. Left the reservation intact, however I grabbed a set of hotel discount flyers as I drove into Florida. The Extended Stay America had a coupon for $39 plus tax. Called ahead just before getting to Destin and they had a room available (smoking though) for that price. I'm a non-smoker, but the clerk suggested I inspect it to see if it met my needs.

Surprisingly, there was only a hint of smoke and I took the room at that fantastic price. Why was it a value?
Location- Although it is not on the beach, the hotel is just off of the main thoroughfare through Destin and less than a 5 minutes drive from the beach.
Exterior- For the price I was kind of expecting a poor appearance, but no that was not the case. It is not fancy, but it does look like it has been kept up.
Lobby- The lobby was small, but the clerk, which is the ones that I had talked to on the phone was real nice and gave me the room tour. Again I was pleased.
Room- Extended stays are for business folks who spend multiple days in the same area. So although not super large, the room had a two burner stove, medium sized refrigerator, coffee pot, small microwave and sink.
Furnishings- Well basic is the word, but in no way did they look worn down or torn up. The bed was not fancy, but it was fine for a good night's sleep.
Wifi- I had to pay 5 dollars for wifi access. I didn't expect that, but based on the room's price, I didn't complain too much.
Surroundings- Being just off the main drag, there are a ton of places within a 3 minute drive from here. Home Depot, Cracker Barrell restaurant, a huge outlet mall, Fresh Market, several restaurants like Outback, Carrabas and a Publix supermarket.

This is not a fancy place. However, when you think of the fact that I paid less than half of the lowest average rate and it is not a dump. Well, that is value, right?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Lifetraveler1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Houston, TX
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Everything is fine except the beds. Beds are hard and pillows have 5 cotton balls at best. The location is a little east of the main area. Its only a small drive to the crab trap for a great beach experience. Breakfast was horrible, Bagels tasted like cardboard and never had orange juice.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Plano,TX
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I would like to take this time to commend Extended Stay America on Opa Locka Lane in Destin, Florida. This was truly a remarkable hotel for the price point.

We stayed during the week of Spring Break March 15th-18th and our rate was only $69.99, when all the surrounding hotels and condos were asking $99.00+. I enjoyed the privacy, room service allowed us to sleep in w/o disturbing daily to clean the room.

Room cleaning is available daily upon request. We were pretty self-sufficient. Their is a kitchen with dishes, pots, microwave, toaster, and full size refrigerator. I did not have to spend a fortune on restaurants for every meal. We only ate out for dinner.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AJ'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT!!! Great taste and prices. Brusters down the highway have good chicken strips and ice-cream too.

Sorry I drifted for a moment. The hotel will exchange towels with you daily as well. We had contemporary style beds just as you see in the pictures on the website. We went to Destin at a bad time weather wise but thanks to the comfort of our room we were able to spend the afternoon in the room on Wednesday without my 8 yr old being bored to death.

If you have kids you must also visit the gulfarium and Emerald Coast Science Center. (pretty cool)

I am already planning a trip for this summer with the rest of the family...Hopefully we can reserve about 7 rooms when we return.

P.S. I hope your stay will be as Great as ours!!

1 Thank carterke
Georgia
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We chose to go to this hotel because it was the best value for the price. We were able to cook all our meals in the hotel room and saved a lot of money. The hotel was a short drive away from the beach with free parking. However, we had two double beds in our room, but one of the bed was unbelievably uncomfortable. The pillows that were on that bed were so thinned out that it was as thin as the sheets! =( Since we paid only $45 per night, we just had to endure two nights discomfort. If you are on a budget, this hotel will be well suited for you, but if you want a relaxing time, pay a little more and go to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
arkansas
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Hi my name is Joann Aldridge, and we drove to destin with no accomidations to stay. We found this holtel called extendedstayamerica in destin florida and loved it. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay, it had a kitchenett in it which saved us money as far as fast food. The location was great it was about 5 min from the henderson beach state park and the same to the closest walmart and outlet malls! My stay was so good i will be returning to this hotel.