“Great change of pace ”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were looking for something a little different but also local. This is a great Latin American restaurant. 4 of us went after work on a Thursday. Sat outside to enjoy the weather. Our server was very polite and knowledgeable of the menu. He suggested the sampler starter which had 4 of 4 different items including wings, empanadas, and a 2 different fritters. They had a good selection of cocktails particularly mojitos, pico sours, and caipirinhas.

The server recommended the Churrasco which I went with. Skirt steak marinated with garlic and herbs. It was very tender for skirt steak and cooked perfect Med rare. Came with chimichurri sauce and also a sauce hot sauce that reminded me of Cholula. We also order a paella Valencia to share among the 4 of us which was a great idea.

We shared a couple tres leches cakes and called it a night. A really good meal and service. The sampler app is maybe the only think I’d do different do to the number of fried items.

Mario A, Director of Operations at Cabana El Rey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear gondekp ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We look forward to having you dine with us soon. We have been on the Avenue for 13 years consistently featuring Latin American style and Nuevo Latino cusine.We are happy top hear you dined with us recently. If I can do anything to enhance a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

6pm Wednesday, sat outside in shade with breeze. Not yet bust, so quiet. Cabana salad delicious mix of uncommon veggies. Paella Valencia with lobster tail was also very good though a little dry, so waiter got some broth added to moisten it, just right. Coffee with Kahlua came as two separate drinks, so pricey. By 7pm there were lines of patrons and thus some noise. Overall, very good. Eager to return.

Dear lgother ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We look forward to having you dine with us soon. If I can do anything to enhance a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The mojitos are fabulous. The yucca fries are favorites of my boys, along with the tostones, so we always get those as an appetizer. We all got cuban sandwiches. We could have shared it, but then we wouldn't get to take the leftover home for lunch the next day. So good! Really. We sat outside and enjoyed the warmth (traveled from Indiana and loved escaping the cold!). Go! Run! It's delicious!

Dear JanisN123 ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We do have an amazing Mojitos!! and Cuban sandwiches!! If I can do anything to enhance a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Sometimes a wait person makes or breaks an experience - in this case, Diego made it! A very personable Peruvian guy with great energy and passion for what he does. He recommended the Pisco Sour which was fantastic (and my first ever), along with getting an assorted plate of Mariquitas (3 different meats in fried plantains) for an app. Also had the broccoli and carrot fritters which we loved. Skirt steak and seafood paella were outstanding. We were so full we couldn't have dessert and probably could have had one less app, but everything was just great. Ate outside which was great for people watching and the vibe of downtown Delray, but we could have done without the obnoxiously loud attention seeking vehicles that seem to parade the avenue and are apparently common in Delray. One can always opt for inside seating. Overall, a wonderful dining experience.

Dear Bruce M ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am so happy to hear Diego made this a great experience, You may request him anytime in the future. We look forward to having you dine with us soon. If I can do anything to enhance a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

We came for the lunch buffet with our hosts who had recommended el Rey. It was excellent with lots of variety for $13. My favorites included the ham and potato croquettes, the pernil, the Picadillo beef empanadas and the lime Chicken

Dear Lisa T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We look forward to having you dine with us soon. We feature our lunch buffet weekdays from 12pm-3pm. If I can do anything to enhance a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me.