“A nice little place to stay”

Tropical Suites Daytona Beach
Ranked #71 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Cheboygan Michigan
“A nice little place to stay”
Reviewed 15 May 2008

After reading some of the other reviews I felt compelled to right my review. My husband and I decided to spend three days at Daytona Beach before heading to the bahamas. We were not too sure what to expect because we didn't spend a ton of money to stay here. We were pleasantly surprised. The condo's were old but pretty clean. Our bedding was the only real issue we had. The sheets and sand in them. We had to change our own bedding.
We really can't complain. We met some of the owners and they were lots of fun to hang out with. They know the area well and suggested some great places to eat.
Our recommendation would be that you try to rent directly from an owner so that you can talk to them directly about thier unit.
The beach was beautiful. The pool was nice but was shady in the later afternoon.
All in all, we would come back again.

• Liked — The Beach and the price
  • Disliked — The bedding
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank relaxationers
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Phoenix
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I searched the web for two days before I found and booked my stay at the Sunglow. After I reserved and payed I decided to check the reviews. Needless to say I was a bit nervous after reading some.

When I arrived it was after hours. My keys were right where they said they would be. I walked it to my condo and was instantly relieved. It was clean, smelled nice, and the view is second to none.

It is located on the south end, its actually Daytona Shores. So it is a bit more quiet yet still close to anything you would want to do. Some of the places I enjoyed are Ya Ya,s, They have a very friendly staff and good prices. The Main street pier has a great Tiki bar with a view from the pier. Stay away from Portofino's. If you have ever been to one this particular one will be more than disappointing.

I want to mention I stayed in two different condos at the Sunglow. Both were above average and I will be back for sure.

• Liked — It was clean!
  • Disliked — Loud Neighbors for one day. I sleep late. They did not.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2008

Sunglow Resort is located in Daytona Beach Shores in a great section of Daytona Beach next to Sunglow Pier. We have been going to Sunglow for the past three years for our family's spring break vacation. We have met many other guests who return each year. The 60+ condos are individually owned. Much of our time was spent in the pool and hot tub overlooking the Atlantic. We enjoyed eating at the nearby Ponce Inlet Hotels and watching the surfers. We rented directly from an owner which was a very pleasant experience. Sunglow's front desk staff is very helpful and also rents the condos for the owners. Our condo was well decorated, had wonderful beach views, and was well equipped. Much more space than a hotel room. Since we began staying at Sunglow, we have noticed building improvements. We have found our home away from home and we plan to continue enjoying our stays at Sunglow in the future.

• Liked — Location, Pool and hot tub on the ocean, friendly front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank kimreneeFlorida
Ontario
Reviewed 26 February 2008

The building is older and needs some updating but I am told that some individual condos are quite nice. Unfortunately not the one we rented for a week. You sure can't tell a book by it's cover. The pictures and description on the website sure did not tell the real story. The condo was dirty. The carpets were disgustingly dirty. The furniture was old and falling apart. The pots, pans, plates, glasses, cutlery, etc looked like the leftover items from a garage sale that didn't sell. The showers were dirty and rusty. But the worst was the place was full of fleas. The owners then tried to blame us for bringing them in when we asked for a refund. Beware of renting from this woman in Ohio. This is a business to her and she only wants your money. She doesn't know the meaning of nor cares about customer satisfaction. She was right down rude and nasty. She ruined our family vacation.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank You4
Teresa51, owner of unit at Tropical Suites Daytona Beach, responded to this review, 13 May 2008
I’m the ‘woman from Ohio’. There was not a flea infestation after they left (after staying 3 nights of a 7 night reservation). We heard nothing from them while they were there (about fleas or anything else) even though they were REQUIRED by their contract to notify me of any problems! Only after settling in at a resort in Orlando did she call and tell me the place was infested with fleas and claimed they were all bitten up. Yikes! I offered her money back for the nights she didn’t stay and she said she would only be satisfied with the entire amount. While she was crying hysterically on the phone (New Years Day); telling me if our situation was reversed she would give all money back, telling me how I had ruined her vacation, telling me all about why fleas weren’t there the first day but they came out because their warm human bodies caused the fleas to hatch from the carpeting (she had researched fleas before she called me ) I mistakenly agreed to give her back her money. After all, it did sound just awful! And then I found out there were no fleas to exterminate. They suddenly appeared and then were gone? After ‘You4’ got home, she asked me why I hadn’t sent back money. I told her there was no evidence of fleas and she had not given us the opportunity to fix any problem before they left (even high-end hotels/resorts would expect that) so there would be no refund (as it said in the contract she signed). Since she had done all that research I asked where the fleas went and never got an answer. Then it was that they needed the money because they couldn’t afford their vacation as they had to pay for the resort in Orlando too. They say they didn’t call me while at the Sunglow because they didn’t want to bother me. What?! I think they decided they preferred to be in Orlando (they said they never went on the beach while in Daytona and had gone shopping in Orlando in the malls during the time they were in Daytona). Our place at the Sunglow is a nice place to stay. We are NOT the Taj Mahal – and have never said we are. Put your feet up on the coffee table – you’re on vacation! We have plenty of dishes and silverware (15 teaspoons, for instance) for you to use but it all doesn’t match (garage sale reference?). If you’re planning on having a fancy dinner party – sorry; we’re not the place to be. People spill stuff – that’s how the carpet gets dirty and stained. If someone tells us the carpet is dirty we try to get it cleaned as soon as possible (but won’t inconvenience guests). If there is a problem we try to fix it as soon as possible IF we are notified. Had ‘You4’ told us about problems we would have tried to fix anything mentioned – even to the point of moving them to another unit. We build our business on repeat customers – and have many who love ‘their’ place year after year. I’m sorry ‘You4’ didn’t like the Daytona area. Teresa Steven

toronto
Reviewed 24 January 2008

This place is the pits. It is old and needs some upkeep. The condo we stayed in looked like everything was original from when the place may have been new some 40 years ago I would guess. The carpet was stained and dirty. The showers had rust all around the doors. Only 1 of the 2 elevators was working and we were told it has been like that for years.
To top it all off, the condo was full of fleas and they tried to blame us.
This was a terrible experience and I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. It seems others have had similar experiences here and blamed for everything.
STAY AWAY

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
1.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront
Holiday Inn Express and Suites O...
#1 of 2 in Daytona Beach Shores
0.3 km away
Famous Shores Motel
Famous Shores Motel
#72 of 103 in Daytona Beach

Been to Tropical Suites Daytona Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK