Before arriving in Florida, I reserved a nonsmoking room for one week at the Clearwater Candlewood Suites. I chose Candlewood Suites because I have stayed at several other Candlewood Suites and they were always nice rooms and a pleasant experience.
When I arrived, I noticed the area was kind of ... seedy. I felt uncomfortable when I was given a room on the ground floor, but was told that the rooms on higher floors that were available were smoking rooms that have a strong smell, so I opted for the first floor room. I was told while checking in that housekeeping only comes once per week, so essentially, I would not be receiving any housekeeping services during my stay of one week. The front desk clerk told me that if I needed to change my sheets or towels, I could bring them to the front desk and exchange them.
I went into my room and it smelled like bug spray. The room was not filthy or anything, but just looked old and run down. The previous guest had left a container of chocolate ice cream (mostly empty) in the freezer, as well as a almost empty carton of Lactaid. That was pretty disgusting, to think that they didn't notice items left in the fridge, it didn't give me a good feeling about the thoroughness of the room cleaning process.
As a single woman staying alone, I did not feel safe in the room, I did not feel safe in the hotel. But since I made a reservation, I was obligated to pay for the first night's rent whether I stayed or not, so I decided to keep an open mind and stay the night and then decide in the morning.
In the morning I checked out. I ended up staying in the MUCH nicer Quality Inn on Hwy 19, which offered DAILY housekeeping, continental breakfast, nicer pool, in a MUCH nicer, more modern room - for only $10 more per night! Totally worth it.
I would not recommend this Candlewood Suites. I do not think that this hotel should be part of the Candlewood Suites brand. It is in dire need of updating, and better, more thorough cleaning and room inspection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Candlewood Suites Clearwater hotel, we put the amenities where they really count: in your room. We are an all suite property, the perfect place for your next stay. Studio room has one queen size bed and all have a full kitchen complete with microwave and full size refrigerator. Work efficiently at your desk with free high-speed Internet access and two separate phone lines - check email and talk on the phone at the same time. Relax in the over stuffed recliner while you enjoy the CD player and VCR. Borrow your favorites from our free video and CD library. Work off some stress in our on site fitness center or heated outdoor pool. Visit our Candlewood Cupboard where you can purchase meals, snacks and sundry items at value prices. Our setting is the perfect choice for business or leisure travelers, you can earn Priority Club Rewards Points for each qualifying stay We are centrally located and easy access to Interstate 75, Tampa International Airport, and the St. Petersburg Clearwater International Airport Candlewood Suites Clearwater Hotel is only 15 minutes away from the beautiful Gulf of Mexico Beaches!. Busch Gardens and Adventure Island are popular area attractions to visit. We are a pet friendly hotel with a non-refundable pet fee - $15 for 1 first night $10 for each additional night capped at $150 for duration of stay. Two pets less than 80 lbs. Per suite . Pet agreement must be signed at check in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Candlewood Suites Clearwater reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Clearwater Hotel Clearwater
- Candlewood Clearwater
- Clearwater Candlewood Suites