“Not what I expected” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Land O Lakes, FL
“Not what I expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a lot of money on what we thought was going to be a beautiful room with clean space and a beautiful heated pool. What a dissappointment. Driving in the place is beautiful. The landscaping is wonderful, the pool looked nice. We got to our room to check in and they were still cleaning (or what they called cleaning). We decided to hit the pool and let them finish. FREEZING what the word for it. The sign said heated, but the temp was at least 70 degrees and the water was so cold that my kids jumped in and got right back out with blue lips and chattering teeth. The area around the pool seemed nice from a distance, but was dirty, the chairs were not clean and the bathrooms were awful. Once we got into our room, we opened the door and were smacked in the face with an awful smell. Somewhere between smoke and stale water. We opened all the doors and let the place air out as well as we had a air freshner from the car that we put in the air vent to help the smell. The floors were dirty, the bathtubs were stained and dirty, We were short towels and there were still dishes in the dishwasher. We left for the evening with all the windows open and went to dinner hoping the smell would be better when we returned. When we returned the smell was not better. We left the windows open a little throughout the night so we could get some sleep. When we awoke the next morning we were all anxious to pack and head out of the hotel as all of our allergies were kicked into high gear from whatever the smell was and the open windows did not help much. I was extremely disappointed with the price that we paid and the lack of cleanliness in this hotel. I would not reccommend this place to anyone.

2 Thank AmericanBalloons
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Browns Mills, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had read several poor reviews and were a bit worried, but upon arrival it was clear that this was a great choice. The furnishings were comfortable and the space was very large. The kitchen was well stocked with newer appliances. It was clean and the grounds were beautiful. We were able to purchase discount tickets through the resort and found the pools to be a pleasant break from the day's busy activities. We did not rent any equipment, eat at the restaurant, or golf so we cannot comment on those. We would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank Darlene T
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Never again will I make the mistake of staying Mystic Dunes.

Our stay was from February 25 to March 3 in a one-bedroom suite.

This was our very first family vacation to Disney and we were overly excited about our trip. It had all started off extremely well. We were called February 22, the night before we were scheduled to drive down to Florida, by a very nice woman that reviewed our reservation and let us know that we were randomly selected for upgraded VIP service and that if we needed anything she was our VIP Host and to contact her by calling or texting.

(Saturday) We received a text that our check in was moved to a private room (there was a wedding party in the clubhouse where “upgraded” members would have normally checked in) and we could avoid the line that everyone else had to stand in. Around 4pm we arrived at the check in room, met our VIP Host and things were going smooth at first until we reached the point of signing up for the timeshare presentation. All along the way we were told we were being upgraded to “Guest Only Privileges” and we would be getting Internet for “free” (which is insanely priced anyway for a non Wi-Fi connection). Then it became clear that all of this was tied in to attending a Timeshare Presentation. We have little children so we said no. Then came the bribery and first set of promises. In addition to the previous upgrades we were offered $75.00 cash, free hot breakfast the day of the presentation, no pressure to commit/leave at any time and our children would be watched in the childcare center. We agreed mostly because we wanted the Internet since my daughter is homeschooled at an online school and needed to attend classes briefly during the week.

That first evening went ok mainly because we tossed our things in the room and bolted for Disney.

(Sunday)The next morning we attempted to use the Internet. Nothing. We tried the two areas where it could be hooked up but neither worked. We contacted our VIP Host and she said she would send someone right away. We also called to request towels, laundry detergent and a few extra trash bags and we told that they would be sent right away. We waited and finally someone showed up for the Internet (we had to be in the room while maintenance was being performed so now we were cutting into our time at Disney). The man was extremely polite and tried his best to fix the issue. Promises were that our Internet would be repaired that day or we would be moved to another room. We explained that we wanted to go to Disney and were then told that it wasn’t a problem and that he would call our cell phone to keep us informed on the status of the repair. The day went by without a phone call so I figured that maybe there was a message on our room phone. Once arriving there was in fact a blinking light. I attempted to check the message but the automated system said that there were no messages and to dial “0” to retrieve a message left at the front desk. I called and was told by the operator that there were no messages for me. I explained the Internet situation and she said she would look into it and call us right back. While I had her on the phone I mentioned that we requested towels, laundry detergent and trash bags 14 hours ago and they never showed up. She said someone would be right up. Someone did arrive a little while later and handed off a plastic bag to my husband and left. He brings the bag in and looks through it to find that there was only the laundry detergent mixed in with what I am assuming was the starter kit they place in the room when you arrive. We still needed towels and now it was nearing 10pm and everyone was exhausted and just wanted a shower before bed. We called again and after an hour wait we were brought about 30 towels in a huge bag. Took our showers and fell asleep without a single return call from either person who said they would call about the Internet.

(Monday)I contacted our VIP Host and let her know that the Internet was still not working and about the huge hassle to get the items we requested. While I had her attention I also let her know about a few other problems we had run across. We had found that the track for the laundry closet door was severely bent so the door would get stuck before falling off the track and rubbing along the top of the doorway, scraping paint off the whole way. This then lead to the floor being covered in paint chips. Not something I was thrilled about with two toddlers in the room that crawl around and put everything in their mouth. She ensured me that everything would be taken care of and that we did not have to wait in the room for the repairs to be fixed. However we HAD to be in the room for the Internet repairs so we scheduled for the Internet repair to take place the next morning at 9am. So we went to Disney for the day. Surprisingly we returned that night to find some of the minor issues fixed (safe didn’t work, microwave light didn’t work-we were using it as a nightlight for the kids on the pull out, the Jacuzzi would go off at all hours of the night, the phone in the kitchen wouldn’t work all in addition to the internet and laundry room door issue). Our Internet still was not working and the door was still not fixed. Yet we had more towels, laundry detergent and trash bags.

(Tuesday) Alarm set so that I could be certain to be awake for when the repairman arrived at 9am. Around 11:30 he shows up and again we are late to Disney. He managed to fix the Internet and when we tried to enter our code to get online, it had “expired” and we had to call the front desk for a replacement. The desk personnel explained that there would be a $50 charge for the Internet and we had to explain that it was given to use for free. She said she would call us back in 15 minutes with a new code. We waited and after an hour we gave up and went to the park. We arrived home that night to no new message with a code for us to access the Internet.

(Wednesday) The dreaded Timeshare Presentation. We drag our exhausted kids out of bed at 7am with the promise that we would eat, they would play in the kids’ room and then we would be on our way to Disney. We check in and are asked two questions, “What is your last name and what is your income bracket”? Now I’m turned off right away. I pointed to one of the lower categories on the sheet in hopes that it would get us out the door as fast as possible. We were shuffled toward the breakfast, which was awful beyond belief. Even my children didn’t want it, which is rare for them. Minutes after sitting down and attempting to eat, we were greeted by a sales man. He was polite enough but I made it pretty clear I didn’t want to be there. Before long my children were racing in circles around the tables and removing every pamphlet from the rack. At first I tried to stop them but every time I would attempt to get out of my seat I was told, “They are fine, don’t worry”. Finally I figured I would let them trash the place and scream at the top of their lungs and we would be shown the door. After all we were promised our kids would be in the childcare center yet we weren’t ever offered a chance to sign them in. After an excruciating 3-hour struggle to get out the door we were finally given the “This is the best deal we can get you. Take it now or you will never be able to purchase at this exceptional price again”. Just to review, I did go over all of the troubles we were having during our stay and I was again promised the Internet would be working for us immediately. I explained that with things going the way they were there was no way I would be purchasing. We were shuffled to a second room where we were asked some questions and then put in line to redeem a certificate for $75, which was the absolute max anyone was allowed to receive, or so we were told. The couple ahead of us was given $100 cash and tickets to a dinner theater. So that proves how much truth was in that story.

To relax we all head to the pool. My daughter was so excited about the pool with the slide, Dunes Lagoon. The slide was roped off and therefore closed. Just another additional bummer.

Finally my daughter and I head to the park while the toddlers stayed home with my husband for a much needed nap. We decided we would take the shuttle home that night. First, if you have children, be careful when waiting for the bus. You have to wait in the middle of a parking lot, in the dark, while buses drive around you. It was there that I met another family staying at MD. They shared the story of their Timeshare Presentation nightmare and that they too were forced to stay much longer than they felt comfortable but that they were given a family park hopper pass to Disney. She assured me that this wasn’t without a hitch since they tried to downgrade the ticket when she tried to pick it up. She went on to tell me about the issues with their room. They explained that upon check in they were told their room was not available. Finally this issue was resolved and they were able to check in to their room. They opened a window to find that there was a tear in the screen, which could allow for insects to enter the room. Their child is severely allergic to certain stinging insects so this was a potentially very serious issue. They called and were immediately upgraded to a two-bedroom suite. She was very pleasant to talk to so we continued chatting on the bus. We arrive back at MD to find that we were to be dropped off at the back gate. We had children with us, it was dark and it would have been a hike to our rooms so we begged for him to at least take us to the check in desk where we could then ask for a shuttle to our rooms. We are told someone would be there soon to pick us up and about ten minutes later a young man rushes in and tells us to hurry and hop in the vehicle. We explain that we need to go to two different places and as we are ushered out the door he says, “That isn’t going to happen. I am out of gas and we might not make it to any of the rooms”. So we see a little four-door car sitting outside that looked like it had seen better days in the last 20 years. 7 of us pile into this little tiny car and since my room was closest he heads in the direction of it. I explain that we are at the far end of the building but he ignored me and stopped at the middle of the building. At this point I just wanted to get in bed so my daughter and I say goodbye to the other family and start walking to our room. We never saw the other family but hopefully the car didn’t run out of gas before they made it to their room.

(Thursday) After 5 days with no Internet and paint chips covering the floor from the still broken laundry room door, I had enough and texted our VIP Host for the name of the property manager. She didn’t know his name since he had just started but assured me she would get me the name when she arrived. At this point it was already interfering with our time at Disney for the day so I figured I would just go to the front desk and ask for the manager myself. This is where I met Darin. He intently listened and took notes on everything I was saying and apologized so much that I actually started to feel guilty I was unleashing all of these issues on him. He made mention of moving us to another room where would could access the Wi-Fi for the remainder of our stay. At this point we only had another two days at the resort and just wanted things fixed in the room we were already in. Looking back, I should have taken this offer since it would have been the only thing useable that would have received for our troubles. He agreed that paint chips on the floor were unsafe with the little ones and someone would be up immediately to clean them up and fix the door. He then went on to say that he wanted to make this upsetting stay up to us. I had explained the hours of time that we had lost in the park between the Timeshare Presentation and waiting for maintenance workers and never received return calls from staff. Add that to the over all frustration of not having the internet that we were promised, paint chips on our floor and all the other things that needed to be fixed and we were just overall upset. He said he would talk to his boss about refunding the points spent to rent the room. This would have been a wonderful gesture except that we purchased the room through a third party so all that would have done would have been basically double paying the company for the room. So he says that perhaps we could get a free stay the next time we come down. I waited my entire life to go to Disney so to be able to tell him that we would definitely be back at any point in the next 5 years would not have been possible. So he offers a comp’d stay at a “hometown” resort that they own. I let them know that the closest resort is Great Wolf Lodge. Things are starting to look up and I genuinely believe him when he says that we will be comp’d for this horrible experience. We leave with a card for $100 in food at the on site restaurant, Kenzie’s. With not much time left during our stay and the restaurant being closed before and after the times Disney was open, we were hard pressed to try to use up that credit.

(Friday) I get a call from Darin at 1:56pm and he lets me know that he was still working with his boss, Doug, on the comp. Of course we were in the park at this time so he left a message. The paint chips still we not cleaned up and of course still no code to access the Internet.

(Saturday) We checkout and attempt to touch base with Darin again but he was with another guest. So we spoke with another woman who relayed the message to Darin about the issues never being fixed during out entire week stay. We take this opportunity to speak with the manager of the Timeshare Presentation. We express our concerns about that experience and it was fairly obvious that he didn’t care. I still can’t believe the response I received about the part where we had to disclose our financial status before the presentation. He explained that if we didn’t “make enough” then we wouldn’t have received the $75 we were promised. Wow. We left the property with the hopes that I really would hear back from Darin or Doug.

(Today - 43 days later) I gave Mystic Dunes/Diamond Resorts the last month and a half and never received a phone call, email, postcard…NOTHING from anyone. I shouldn’t have to be the one to call them either since they were the last ones to inform me that they would be in touch soon about the comps. They have no intentions of making this right. Significantly disappointed by this entire experience and this company.

In short, don’t stay here! There is a reason why you see negative reviews. Mystic Dunes, feel free to make this right. We stayed on the above-mentioned dates in room #32202. I’m sure my contact information is still available to you.

Room Tip: Rooms at another resort are your best best!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Melissa C
harleysville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

When we drove in I felt like this was going to be good, the grouds looked nice. When I got in the check in line I started to worry. It was crazy, people were not getting the rooms they had requested and there was a lot of complaining going on. There were 8 of us staying in a 2 bedroom lockoff . When we arrived at the room and opened the door we were hit with an unpleasent smell.... ok so we opened the balcony door to air out the rooms. It really was not very clean, the floors were nasty and everyone wore shoes all the time. The beds were very uncomfortable as were the pull out couches. We needed to request extra towels and blankets, not so bad, they came in no time and the person who delevered them was very nice. I don't quite understand the thinking when they stock the kitchen with appliances. We had 3 cups in one room 4 in the other. the same with the silverware, dishes and glasses, all odd numbers. There was no fitness center to speak of. When you went down to the pool the chairs all had towels on them indicating that people would return to claim them which was very annoying. We tried to make the best of everything since we were all together but it was later when we saw the roach in the kitchen that kind of did me in. There were always bags of trash or dirty linens outside your door. I have exchanged my timeshare for years and have never been so disappointed. The place has a lot of potential from the pictures you see online but they have a long way to go once you get there. When you first check in they have you go to the desk where the people from Diamond Resorts International try to set you up for a tour..so you can buy time at this resort, boy I am glad I said no. There is no way I would want to go there again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank evon p
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I had reserved with Mystic Dunes on Travelocity, when we arrived at Mystic Dunes they said my room wasn't ready! after a nine hour flight we had to wait aroung two more hours for our room to be ready. The front desk female clerk was rude and was not friendly at all!!! Once we got to the room we found rouches and the couch, It felt uncomfortable since then. The shuttle to the Disney parks were only two per day 5pm and 10 pm which made it feel like we had to rush to catch the shuttle. I had a bad experience and would never recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Caroline D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
6.5 km away
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#4 of 17 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,415 reviews

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK