“Very Good Cuban Food in Cape Coral”

Azucar Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #87 of 437 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: This is a wonderful, family owned little reaStay rant and bakery. We have eaten there many times - breakfast, lunch and dinner. This restaurant should be included in your listings. The food is authentic and delicious. The service is great. Love this place!!!!!
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Azucar is an excellent Cuban restaurant in Cape Coral and very affordable. They also have a great bakery with fresh pastries and really good breads, especially if you like Cuban bread. Breakfast is very affordable and comes with big portions. Lunch and dinner are also affordable and very good. I tend to stick to the "ropa vieja" (the quintessential Cuban dish, means old clothes but its shredded skirt steak in a tomato based sauce) when I go. I had the lechon last time I was there and was a little disappointed with it to be honest, it was somewhat dry and not as flavorful as I would have expected. The picadillo (ground beef stew) is very good as are the pork chops, the grilled chicken breast and breaded steak. Service is very pleasant and attentive. Atmosphere is nice and the place is very clean.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

This was my absolutely worst experience in Cape Coral in many years. When Azucar first opened, I had been in there for lunch and breakfast, at the time it was excellent.
I took a friend of mine there last night for dinner. It was horrible! The waiter was very rude. I complained about our first dish Ropa Viaja being very salty. The waiter took it away and came back to our table and told us that no one ever complained about this dish. We ordered Grilled Steak, this dish had a good taste, but it was like eating rubber and all dried out. The waiter made it a point to come back again and tell us that if we ordered a sauce we should expect it to be salty! Very unhappy!

Reviewed 31 January 2017

We stopped for lunch and tried the sandwiches. The Cuban bread was very good. I had the Cuban sandwich, and the pork was so tender and tasty. My wife had a Cuban BLT, and there was a lot of crispy bacon, yum! Service was OK, but they lost track of us after we had been served, and it was not very busy (a common problem when restaurants are slow). All in all, it was very good, and I would go back if the opportunity presented itself.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

Excellent Cubano sandwich, one of the best I've had. Very nice service. Spotlessly clean. Will definitely return

Reviewed 22 December 2016

There were so many recommendations in Tripadvisor for this restaurant we made it a destination, while on vacation in the area. I had the Cuban sandwich and I forget what the wife had. Maybe the photos I took will shed some light.

My lunch was large enough for 2 people. Big stack of ham, cheese, mayoand pickles, Cuban bread, baked, etc.

But the Cuban coffee!! WOW. If you like strong and sweet coffee like the Cuban people do, this is the place. I wish I could make it at home.

Our only issue on this visit was un- timely service. The one young lady on the floor was overwhelmed when 2 customers were selecting baked items from the case to take out. They took forever to decide, while the young lady stood by. And there was slight language problem (not with me). Maybe it was just the time of day, but other customers were coming in steadily, and that one waitress was left alone to sink or swim. Finally a man came out front to help out, an elegant gentleman who must have been the owner, muy amable.

There are tons of Cuban food places in Cape Coral, and we are adventurous senior citizens. This one, Azucar, was the first one we tried. If you are just starting out, I would recommend coming here first.