“Not our cup of tea” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cape Winds Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Canaveral
Cape Winds Resort
Kentucky
“Not our cup of tea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We have 2 kids 3 & 9 and rented over Easter break for 4 days. It was nice the condo allowed us to rent for less than 7 days. The condo is very 80's in style. TV's were old, dvd player was cheap there wasn't one in the spare room. The pool was nice but small and set back from the beach. Most of the crowd were retirees so the kids were a little bored. The beach was pretty and uncrowded. Kids loved the big surf and watching the cruise ships going in and out. The general area had an "industrial" feel to it, a little run down and lots of gentlemen's clubs around. Given all the options I would choose a more family oriented and updated area near the Atlantic over Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CrackerJack
CWBoardRep, Owner at Cape Winds Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Cape Winds’ condos are privately owned. Some owners have remodeled and some have not. When calling to make a reservation, ask when it was remodeled and what was remodeled.

A lot of our guests enjoy the quiet at Cape Winds. This is family oriented resort with heated pool, hot tub, tennis and basketball. We are in a quiet residential area, just a mile north of the Cocoa Beach Pier. You can enjoy the activity at the Pier during the day and the quiet at Cape Winds at night. You can also enjoy the activity at the Port of Cape Canaveral where there are a lot of great restaurants and bars.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Unit 104 has not been updated since it was built in the 1970's (early 70's)....I don't even think the carpet has ever been replaced. No view from there either. Pool and pool area very small with no view. Very close walk to beach.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
I am sorry I do not know who owns/manages #104. I will try to find out.

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

We loved our time at Cape Winds. We had a second floor unit, with two beds and two baths, which was important for my teen! (and me).King size bed in my room was very comfortable, and I loved the huge walk in shower. We felt very safe here as well. Nice quiet location, beach seconds away and not at all crowed.I enjoyed getting up and walking on the beach every morning, watching the pelicans, and the daily flybys of Blackhawk helicopters (very close to Patrick Air Force base) Also, how great is it to wake up and see the ocean out your front balcony. My son thought it was great as well..We had everything we needed, including wifi for internet, which is important to us to keep in touch with home.We were right on the boundry between Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, but as all the beaches tend to flow in to each other, its hard to tell. From this location, we had tons of places to shop,and eat. Also, grocery stores are close (Publix is the closest) plus we went to Orlando. Check out the airboat rides at Midway! Lots of fun and real live wild gators! This is an excellent choice if you wish to be at the beach but would like to visit Orlando, as it is only an hour or less away. Also, the pool and hot tub were never busy, and kept very clean. We spoke to some local people and found restaurants that served delicious seafood at great prices. It was a much needed respite from a long cold winter and cant wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank butterflycats
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

We chose a ground floor unit in Cape Winds Oceanfront Condos in Cocoa Beach, FL because the rent was less than the higher condos with views. In the future when renting condos, I think I will request one with a view as I missed seeing the ocean. Also next time I will rent nearer to the Cocoa Beach Pier.

The pool was great (clean and heated). Most of the condo was comfortable although older. BUT the carpet throughout the condo was absolutely filthy and needs too be cleaned. It does not look bad because it was vacuumed but our crawling granddaughter turned black as did our feet and socks.

We rented from DUR-RICH Reality from a manager named "Judy". She was unable to be reached when we arrived and it was several hours before we could gain entrance to the condo. This was very irritating since friends had driven us there and were forced to wait too. Note that Cape Winds through DUR-RICH Realty was managed poorly and I am not aware how Cape Winds Resort is handled but at least they have an office in the building. We had to drive a ways to find the DUR-RICH office to leave a note seeking help getting us in the condo on arrival. The owner of DUR-RICH did call us later to give us the codes for entry. We heard stories from other occupants that had to stay at a motel for a few nights before locating their manager!

Quite disappointed in our arrival and the filthy carpets and would never rent here again.
Judy from Mi

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bealjudy
#104 is managed by http://www.durrich.com/
Falcon, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

For the most part we loved this place. It is older, much older, but our room, #406, was large and pretty clean, all except the carpet which is in bad need of a good cleaning or replacement. Our ocean facing room had wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows w/ sliding glass doors that gifted us with the most amazing views. We kept the sliding glass doors open and let the sound of the ocean lull us to sleep. Screen doors are in need of replacing.

We only stayed 2 nights, but on the last night, the night before we have to fly cross country home, the fire alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. and again at 4:30 a.m. There is no 24 hour front desk, so after the 2nd time I had to go down to the office and knock on the door. Got no answer, but found a 24 hour number taped to the door (this number is not provided in the room but should be). Since I did not bring a phone or pencil and paper down with me, I had to go back upstairs, get my phone, go back downstairs and call them from outside the office door. When they answered, they where quizzing me about, which alarm it was, inside or outside, etc. a couple of times I had to explain, I was woken from a dead sleep I have no clue, but it was loud and came from outside our room. That night and the next morning there were no apologies. The next day we were treated like we were crazy, told it was impossible and everyone acted like it was the first they ever heard of such a problem ~ now I see the Sept 09 review. All this soured us to what could have been a near perfect stay. We asked for just a little later check out, 11:30-12noon, instead of the 11:00 a.m. but we were told no. Seems to me that was a minor, easy request considering the night before. Even if the room was booked, how much was 1 hour going to hurt?

Now with that out of the way, I will continue with our review:

Service - There really is none. I guess they have housekeeping, but we did not use it our 2 nights there. The front office keeps limited hours. Some may not like the lack of attention. It worked well for us and may for others as you are pretty much just left alone.

Beds - The King Size bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The 2 twin beds where too hard, small and low to the ground for our pre-teen/teen boys. The sofa bed was fine for our boys.

Furniture - simple, not new, but fine.

Kitchen - Be warned, there is NO COFFEE, not even to get you by for one day. The plain kitchen was medium in size and clean. It seemed to be well stocked. We wanted for nothing except a cup of coffee.

Bathrooms - Very small, no counter space, but really no big deal. Plenty of towels for both the pool and room were stocked in the room. Soap dispenser in the shower was very handy.

Pool pool/area - very clean and warm. Nice hot tub, dry sauna, 2 outdoor showers and each pool side bathroom had a shower.

Beach beach/access - very short walk across a bridge over protected dunes. Beach had a lot of shells, nice sand castle sand, with only a little old, dry sea weed. The beach was not crowded. It was a fun mix of swimmer, surfers and fishers. One fisherman, a retired school teacher name Paul Mitchell, even let my son and husband real in a couple of fish. He did not mind our 100's of questions and we enjoyed him very much.

Food - There is a Pizza Hut flier in the room which we used one night. The next day we walked south, down the beach, to the pier and ate at Marlins on the Pier. It's old and run down, but had the yummy burgers, fries and good service. Prices not bad either.

Priceless extra's: We saw all kinds of birds, little crabs and even a dolphin on our first day. You can see fishing boats out on the waters, but best of all is the huge cruise ships coming in and out of port. We even got to see one going out at night. What a treat.

Location to MCO - It was only about 50 min straight drive and 1 toll booth back to the Orlando Airport.

Summary, fix the carpet and screen doors and DWIT to make sure the fire alarms never go off in the middle of the night again. Unless., of course, it is a true emergency. We like to change up where we stay, so we will try other places before we return, but for now I can say we would stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LadyFan55
Oh no, I am sorry your stay was disrupted by the fire alarms. Thank you for taking the time to call the management company and letting them know about the problems. Also thank you for your complete review. Cocoa Beach is a lovely area and Cape Winds is a great resort, we hope you come back.

This condo is managed by http://www.capewindscondo.com/
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Canaveral
Inn at Cocoa Beach
#1 of 31 in Cocoa Beach
5.2 km away
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Cape Winds Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK