“The Best Chinese Food we have ever had!”

Mr Shen's Peking Chinse Restaurant
Ranked #242 of 901 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Everything came out nice and hot. Authentic and flavorful. Good portions chicken & shrimp dishes were great.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

In our perpetual search for a higher standard in Chinese, my wife and I ventured to this strip mall restaurant in West Boca. We each chose from the "early bird" section of the menu which, it turns out, is available till closing. Unless you order from the a la carte menu, everything comes with soup, egg roll ( very small) and desert ( ice cream).Prices were reasonable.

My wife had the beef with broccoli and I had the chicken and shrimp with vegetables. Everything was fresh; the beef was appropriately tender, the shrimp was cooked perfectly, and the vegetables were crisp. The only problem was that all the food was under seasoned and bland - a problem typical of Asian restaurants in South Florida. I should have asked for some chili sauce, but that would only have made it spicy, not more flavorful. Bottom line - we will continue our quest, this place was OK but it just wasn't it!

Reviewed 11 October 2016

This is a long established restaurant that serves very average food. I love old time Chinese restaurants that have not been swept up into the Asian fusion trend, but at Mr. Shen's the three "traditional" type lunch entrees we had, none were impressive.

Started out with okay Hot & Sour soup served with out of a bag crispy noodles, along with an equally unimpressive egg roll.

My Shredded Beef Szechuan Style listed on the menu as "spicy" had no kick to it at all, and really lacked any flavor. However, the beef was tender and well trimmed.

Their Chow Fun with pork was a clump of sticky rice noodles devoid of the flavoring that makes this dish special, and had way too much plain boring sliced pork!

The final dish was a very ordinary shrimp with lobster sauce.

Seems they compensate for their lack of distinct and blended flavors with pretty good quality proteins, in above average quantities. Not sure if the lack of flavors is to cater to their older, "not too spicy, no MSG, no salt, no this, no that" clientele, or there is just no talent in the kitchen.

Mediocre food served in a pleasant, friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

This has become my tradition. I grab the rental car, drive from PBI, pick up my Dad and we go to Mr. Chen's. Dad says he likes the Delray restaurant better, but the Boca restaurant reminds me of the Chinese restaurants in Boston. Meals include soup, eggroll, rice, main dish and pistachio ice cream for dessert. Shrimp with veggies had plentiful shrimp and fresh veggies (except mushrooms seem to be of the canned variety). Beef with mixed veggies (hold the baby corn, extra bok choy) was perfectly made. Hot and Spicy soup could be spicier, I ask for extra vinegar. I always have Cantonese style dishes, so I don't know if Hunan and Peking dishes are authentic or Americanized.

I love this place. Its comfort food that tells me I'm home.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

We are new to the Boca area and have been looking for a small family Chinese restaurant for a few months and took a chance on a friend's recommendation. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent, the food was fresh and hot and the decor was simple but very attractive. We missed the early bird but the meal was reasonable and served very generously.