“Actually Pretty Good”

House of Cheung
Ranked #649 of 888 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

Let's get this out first. You are not getting gourmet nor are you sitting in Chinatown, New York City in an authentic restaurant where no one speaks English and you are the only Caucasians in the joint (which as aficionados know is a very good sign!). That said, This Is Florida where the concept of great food is an oxymoron. House of Cheung serves better than average takeout fare with large portions at reasonable prices. No bad aftertaste as the cooking oil used must be fresh and of good quality. That rancid oily taste which one typically encounters at so many takeout joints Anywhere, USA doesn't exist here. The food is prepared to order explaining the long, but not unreasonable wait time. One is not purchasing decor or personality here --simply better than acceptable tasty Chinese Takeout food. Haven't had a bad dish or experience after several visits. For you chronic complainers out there, you want authentic, then get in your private jet and fly to New York or San Francisco. Otherwise just eat and be happy.

Reviewed 3 February 2016

Authentic Chinese food that tastes great. I have liked everything I've tried here. My favorite soup here is the egg drop. And I love the Honey Garlic chicken.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

Had I read the previous review, we never would have stopped here, but our first choice for lunch was closed and Yelp reviews for this place were not as dismal. It is small, unassuming, but seemed clean. A rather surly young woman took our order - impatiently - and then disappeared. She reappeared with a tray with our order about 10 minutes later. I had Mongolian Beef, my husband had Lo Mein. I thought the food was acceptable, but nothing noteworthy. However, there were no condiments given and none available on the counter so I waited for "Miss Personality" to reappear and finally approached the door to the kitchen and she came out and gave me some when asked. I would never return, but it was okay.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Let me begin by saying that if Tripadvisor had "NO Stars", I would give this restaurant that rating.

The food form this place was truly the worst Chinese food I have ever had, and I have had Chinese food in Ghana.

I had combination Platter no 10.
Shrimp in lobster Sauce, with soup ( I had hot and sour) an egg roll and pork fried rice. I also ordered boneless ribs. Yes I was hungry :)

When I got back to the hotel room, my dinner lasted 5 minutes, if that much until i had to go and find a Mc Donald's.

All I could eat was the shrimp, and it was hard to do. The sauce was anything but lobster sauce. It had big chunks of egg white and many pieces of what looked like minced beef in a corn starch soup.

Oh and the rice, I cant adequately describe how horrible that was. It was like a box of Vigo yellow rice had been cooked and tiny slivers of pork had been mixed in, as an after thought.

Lets move on to the egg roll; well i cant tell you how it tasted, it was burnt.

So, lets now move on to the soup. That was like eating burnt ketchup with a dash of Hosing sauce. HORRIBLE!

And, the cur de gra, the bone less ribs; not ribs............. and tasteless.

I have never had such a horrible meal, it was so bad I had to go and get something else to eat. Total waste of money.

Don't ever ever ever ever ever,......................................... eat here!

1  Thank Islandfoodi