“Great experience”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2016

We were in Wilmington for a weekend staying at the Hotel DuPont. Doing what I usually do and reading through top restaurants on tripadvisor, Yelp, opentable, etc...came across this one. I called a week in advance and they only had a 6pm time open for 2 people...good sign to me that it must be busy/popular. We arrived and were greeted by Edwin and the pride in his business, food, wife, etc was very evident. He explained the dishes very well as I was torn between all the chicken dishes myself. I had the chicken with cilantro rice and it was FABULOUS! My husband had the steak dish...can't remember the name of it...last one under the steaks and Edwin said was Juliana's favorite. It was delicious as well. Juliana came out from the kitchen and chatted for a couple minutes...very sweet. Both Edwin and Juliana made us feel welcome and special. The food was great, the service was great and the we loved the cozy atmosphere. If we make it back to Wilmington we will definitely go back to Julianas.

Reviewed 25 February 2016

This is a little gem in Wilmington! It's a small restaurant, only about half a dozen tables, located on the first floor of an old row home. It's nicely decorated with Peruvian items. The host/server/husband of the chef was kind enough to explain pretty much every item on the menu to my party which was great since some items that I would have assumed would be served warm, were actually cold items. The food was wonderful! Everything was beautifully presented and tasted amazing. I would recommend the chicha morada, a sweet beverage made from purple corn and pineapple juice with flavoring of cinnamon and other spices. It sounds weird but is super refreshing.

The only downside is that there is limited parking. When we went was shortly after a large snow fall and a lot of the street parking was still covered with piles of snow. Probably wouldn't be too bad on a regular day!

Reviewed 17 December 2015

I visited this restaurant over Thanksgiving weekend because of a recommendation from some coworkers. I actually live close by and had never ventured in.

This restaurant is in what would be the living room of a townhouse so to say it is not expansive would be an understatement. What it lacks in size it makes up for in warmth! The owner greets, seats and waits on you and recommends items from the menu. His wife is the cook.

It was empty when we arrived but quickly filled up with other patrons who I think were repeat customers.

We tried the typical drink "chicha morada" (non-alcoholic) and my kids who are picky liked it. I had to ask for a taste because the combo sounded odd to me: purple corn, pineapple, cinnamon..,but it tasted sort of like cider and was welcome on a breezy afternoon.

We all enjoyed our meals and the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 6 December 2015

Our party of 6 arrived on time, bright and cheerful, for our reservation here that I personally made weeks ago and personally confirmed. The restaurant is a tiny row home with no atmosphere, claustrophobic tiny, and the entrance way is a 2 door vestibule set up. Our greeting from the owner was his snapping at us to close the second door. Evidently he was unable to realize that some of our party of 6 was still in the vestibule with literally nowhere to go into this tiny room. I'm looking around as this is happening and noting that there isn't a table for 6 or even 2 tables near each other. Next, he laid into us because we brought wine and even though this restaurant comes up as a byob everywhere, he says it is not anymore. He added that he didn't have a large selection, but that he had a few wine selections that we could choose from. That is not good news for wine lovers! At that point, he rudely noted that we should not expect the prices that are on line either. You tell me why they don't have their own website or why this necessary information isn't on their Facebook page. I spoke to him twice making and checking reservations; this information should have been shared at that time. I cannot say what caused the beligerant attitude in this man but I can say that no one should be subjected to this type of behavior. When he said that he would try to find a way to seat us after we took our wine out to the car, I apologized to my friends for selecting this restaurant and asked if they would like to leave to go elsewhere. We had a unanimous and immediate yes vote. It took us a little time to find a place able to seat 6 in prime time Saturday night but we did. We had a fantastic meal and our usual fabulous time together!

4  Thank Theshortchef
Reviewed 10 November 2015

The food was so flavorful, and the plating was beautiful. The atmosphere was very cozy and intimate! Just perfect all around the board!