“Salty fried chicken but otherwise really good”

Johnnie's Dog House
Ranked #20 of 606 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

My shipmate and I tried the fried chicken, sweet potato tots, collards, and the Monterey Chicken Sandwich. The chicken batter was delicate and flavorful and the meat was tender. However the salt content was way too high. Even my shipmate said so, and she likes salty food.
The sandwich was served with lettuce, tomato, avocado, bacon, and chipotle mayo. It was pretty darn good! Unfortunately, the bacon was so crumbled that a lot of it fell out of the sandwich. It would work better to have bigger pieces of bacon.
The collards were done right in typical Southern fashion. Delicious!
The sweet potato tater tots were a nice surprise and my favorite. Crispy on the outside, flavorful, tender on the inside. Yum!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We get chicken breasts and thighs for Christmas lunch for 20 people. Always delicious. They threw in a few extra as it was not ready on time. It’s the best chicken in Delaware.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

I sneak in here alone as I am not the health food nut my hubby is. Lol
All these dogs look interesting but my favorite is the Texas Tommy. A dog deep fried and gooey Cheese dripping all over the dog and bun. Yum.
French fries are crispy.
Sit in the window seat take in the speeding 202 traffic. Lol
Gotta fill the urge. Stop by try a dog. Plenty of parking very nice guy taking my order. Bathrooms are very clean.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

My family tried Johnnies for the first time today and I only have one complaint...that they aren't closer to my house so I could eat there more often! We each ordered our entree and we got 2 large sides to split between the 4 of us and none of us left hungry. The food was hot and delicious, everything was cooked about as well as it gets. I will be planning my trips up to that area around meal times now so that I can eat at Johnnies.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Finally made it to Johnnie's Dog House and loved it! What great hot dogs and love the fires as well. Service was fast and efficient. We ate in but many were just there for take-out. Have to keep this on our list of have-to-go places...