“Dinner at Michys”

Ranked #39 of 288 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We love this place and it's one of the few places we'll go during the tourist season because there's plenty of free parking AND the food is great. Don't miss the firecracker shrimp appetizer and their version of beef bolonaise is different than any other we've ever tried and we love it. We also got an ahi tuna poke special loaded with macadamia nuts served in a coconut half. Delicious, unusual and very creative!!! This eatery will never disappoint. Another of our favorites is the sea scallops on a mushroom risotto and the beef short ribs. There are always a few specials and the regular menu has so many really good dishes you're sure to find something for everyone. The waitstaff has never rushed us and has always been very helpful answering any questions about the food we might have. Unfortunately, we've never had room for dessert, so we cannot comment on any of their offerings. We've been to many happy hours there too and have taken advantage of the $5.00 house wines and discounted appetizers, including the aforementioned firecracker shrimp.Yum!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

It's kind of a imperfect location for fine dining in Rehoboth. It's in a shopping center on the highway. But don't be deterred. We went with another couple and everyone loved their food. Our friends have been back a few times. One of the best meals I have had in Rehoboth in a long time.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Don't be afraid that this restaurant is located in a strip mall. The decor inside is welcoming and the food was delicious. The food is made from scratch and the servings are generous. I started with the firecracker shrimp which could be a meal instead of an appetizer. They were some of the tastiest shrimp I have ever had. My wife had the beet salad which she fully enjoyed. For entrees we had the beef tenderloin, scallops, and short rib. All of these were strong to quite strong. My youngest two split the chicken milanese which I would not recommend, there are much better options on the menu. The cocktail and wine list was extensive. Myself, I like beer and they only had a few options.

This place would have received five stars had it not been one thing. When we were first greeted the waitress emphasized how everything was made to order and they were sensitive to allergies. My wife wanted the fish (perch) special but couldn't have the couscous that can with it. They were unable to modify the order to make it gluten free, a little disappointing given the waitress had just stated everything was made from scratch,. In the end she liked her meal, just didn't start the night off feeling great about the place.

I would definitely recommend making sure you eat here while staying in Rehoboth. It is worth the drive down Coastal Highway. Truly a hidden gem!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

My wife’s good friend, a definite “foodie”, introduced us to Michy’s Relaxed Dining a couple of years ago, and we have visited several times on our visits to the Rehoboth Beach area. Our most recent visit was just a couple of weeks ago. As many have stated, Michy’s is an unassuming location, with a relaxed atmosphere. While this is not a complaint by any means, a recent review noting generous table sizes and spacing is a bit exaggerated. The tables, especially along the long side wall, are definitely close, though you don’t fell “on top of” your neighboring table. Typically, Michy herself greets diners at the door, with a friendly and welcoming demeanor. We’ve had a couple of informal conversations with her, mostly to say “hi” on our way in, and let her know how much we enjoyed our dinners as we’re leaving. We have always made an advance reservation, which is suggested.

Previously, I ordered the popular Day Boat Sea Scallops, with pea risotto and freshly shaved parmesan. This entrée is delicious and perfectly prepared, with properly seared scallops and creamy risotto with mushrooms and peas. I almost ordered this again, but I decided on the Certified Angus Beef Tenderloin for a change, ordered medium. But first, let me mention the salads. My wife and I both ordered our own salads, mine was the Caesar, and my wife ordered the Beet salad. When we ordered, the server asked if we were splitting a single salad, we said no. When they arrived, we had forgotten how large the salads were, and understood why we were asked the question. Next time, we will definitely share one salad, it is definitely a generous portion for one appetizer. I have also had the Chardonnay-Poached Pear Salad, which is also excellent. Getting back to the entrée, when the steak arrived, it was also a generous portion, served atop a block of stacked potato gratin, accompanied by steamed green beans and baby carrots. The tenderloin was grilled perfectly medium, as I had ordered, warm pink center. It was extremely tender, and I cannot imagine a better cut of beef from any high-end steakhouse. At less than $30, it’s almost a bargain.

All in all, Michy’s provides a wonderful dining experience, at moderate prices, in a casual and efficient setting. It is on our “favorites” list, and we will definitely visit again on our next visit to Rehoboth.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Michy's includes the word "relaxed" in its name, and despite the very busy nature of this restaurant, service is not rushed; in fact, server staff seems to be under instructions to walk casually in the dining room and to speak calmly at the tables. Tables are generously sized and spaced, giving diners a more relaxed feeling.
Still, the very busy nature of this restaurant and the extensive hard surfaces in its design make it a loud place.

On our most recent visit (among several), we again found the menu filled with interesting variety (dayboat scallops, pork chops, rigatoni, salmon, tenderloin, red snapper, a vegetarian dish, calamari, root vegetables, roasted beets) and the food carefully and beautifully prepared and presented. Our pear and endive salad ($9) was exquisite and generous. Our calamari ($12) prepared with just a light batter and a fascinatingly spicy remoulade. Our beef tenderloin ($30) was perfectly cooked to order, with accompaniments of very fresh green beans and rich au gratin potatos. Our dayboat scallops ($29) were served with a delicious risotto-with-peas-and-shitake mushrooms. A side order of roasted beets ($5.50) was fresh and tasty. Hard to believe we had room for key lime pie ($8), but it was a really tart and refreshing way to close our meal.

Service was terrific at our table (thanks, Patrick)... thoughtful, unhurried and attentive. Michy's bar is known for creative concoctions, though we chose wine on this occasion, from a nice list in every price range.

Don't be deceived by the "shopping center exterior" of Michy's. Inside, it's "beachy" and pleasant, and menu prices are at the higher end for this area. A big "plus" is Michy's takes reservations (regrettably, not on Open Table, however), and reservations are almost always needed. Make them at least a week in advance, especially if you're seeking a weekend evening dinner.