“Great, clean room a block from the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Summer Place Hotel

Summer Place Hotel
baltimore
“Great, clean room a block from the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Summer Place is a very clean and friendly place to stay right near the beach. We have stayed several times and enjoy the value. Rooms are clean, have never had an issue with anything being dirty, there are not a lot of frills, but you are in Rehoboth to enjoy the beach, not hang out in the room! Great place to lay your head.

Room Tip: Outdoor shower nice after the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Ok yeah it's right by the beach.
However this joint is the type where you should wear flip-flops and bring pillows towels sheets (I'd recommend a throwaway sheet and another sheet on top of that) and blankets from home. If you want a cheap room to party in by the beach it definitely has that going for it! But I wouldn't bring children and I wouldn't stay again if you paid me.
My boyfriend booked a room with intentions of proposing on the beachlane thought the close location to the beach was nice for the price. We waited about 20 minutes in the lobby for someone to even come out. We had reservations and had called during our 3 hr drive to confirm when we would be there. When someone did come out, it was the innkeeper's brother or something, who seemed sweaty, dissheveled, and annoyed by our presence. He took another 15 minutes attempting to ring us up. We were then led down a strange winding hallway to a deserted section of the hotel, and finally to our room. No one spoke to us during this weird half an hour either- strange silence as we looked around in dismay. I felt like i was in a haunted hospital corridor...
Buzzing, flickering flourescent lights, strange smells, weird coughing noises and faint hum of a television somewhere. The door looked like someone had tried to kick it in. I cannot stress enough how unclean this room was. It was off season (last march) however our floor in our room was still coated in sand. There was hair in the bathroom, which smelled like a locker room. There was gray scuzz surrounding the bottom of the toilet and shower stall. The room itself consisted of a nonworking mini fridge with an old half empty snapple bottle in it, a bed with a worn polyester bedspread and funky sheets. And a plywood dresser. There were also old blankets offered on a shelf that smelled musky. I dont remember a television. The heater blew hot dry air directly on our faces if laying in bed. At this point my man seemed so embarrassed but I laughed it off- I'm not one to complain, so we decided to walk up to the beach, at this point he proposed and we decided to have a great night. We went to dogfish and celebrated our love way too hard.
Cut to next morning- woke up naked on the surface of the mattress- dry rotted elastic on the sheets meant they slipped right off and while I don't remember that part of the night in much detail, and waking up without sheets was no fault but our own, I was truly horrified to wake up face down on a scuzzy stained mattress:(:(:( as much as we didnt want to enter the shower stall we both did- had to wash off the shame and filth.
Overall- you get what you pay for, but this place is nasty.

• Stayed March 2011
4 Thank AAMH

Travellers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked this place for my family of 5, to be used only for sleeping. My extended family had rented a beach house down the block where we would spend most of our time.

Big Mistake!

First of all, our room was dark and dingy, with peeling paint and musty ripped curtains. The owners apparently have no pride whatsoever in the place. Just depressing. There weren't enough beds for all of us, so I reserved a cot...and received a blow-up raft that was half the size of my body. Not kidding!

As I was trying to figure out how to sleep with half my body on a raft and the other half on the floor, I soon realized that it was hopeless anyway...a party started somewhere in the hotel and it was so loud it sounded like they were in our room. My kids learned a lot of new words that night, which my wife was repeating toward me shortly thereafter.

After one miserable sleepless night, we slept on the floor of the beach house down the street for the rest of the weekend. It was a huge upgrade.

You get what you pay for here. Dingy accommodations in close quarters with rowdy, unsupervised college kids on a shoestring budget.

If you have a family, look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PTCPittFan
Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

First of all I want to say that the poor press is unwarranted!!!! A Summer Place is a quaint throw back to an earlier era!! The manager is just the same. Very kind and affable! He greeted my 6 yr old son and I upon arrival from Owings Mills MD with a gentiel demeanor and made us feel at home. (treated my little boy to a candy!)The accomadations were very tidy and clean. We had a microwave,flatscreen,refigerator, air and alarm clock in our room; though small. It was what my budget allowed!! And we were pleased. The KILLER was the location to the boardwalk!!!! I could NOT believe how close we were!!! That did it for me! We only stayed for 1 night, Aug.22 ;however,my son and I will return next year for our annual beach vacation. Next time I will get the small apt and stay the whole 3 days there(instead of with friends). My car was safely parked under my room window;it was just $5! What else could I want?! This is a great place for the basics at the beach,simply and nicely done!! Two thumbs up for the manager and staff!! See you next summer!!! Arvis Taylor-Redding, Owings Mills, MD

Room Tip: My son liked a room with a view from our secound floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank blessednails
Gardiner, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

tiny room, musty smell, apathetic staff make this a last resort place for Rehoboth
yes it is a block from the beach but we won't be back

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple