“Never Again”

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Dirty room, floor never vacuumed. Dirty sheets (never changed my entire stay and I know this because I marked them). Bathroom smelled like the floor was washed in urine. Freezer was caked up with ice and something old was frozen in the freezer. Only one mirror in the entire room - the bathroom which meant if one was showering the other couldn't comb hair or apply makeup or shave. Entry door stuck as did the bathroom door. I didn't sleep my entire stay and not just because of the barking dog next door. Mostly because I shuttered to think I was possibly sleeping on the previous occupants' dirty sheets. I didn't complain because every day/night, I was thinking it would change. The positive part was the hospitality of the staff. May want to spend a few hours teaching your Hispanic staff what "DO NOT DISTURB" means. Not only does it mean not to enter the room but not to shout up and down the hallway. As my title indicated -- Never again.

Room Tip: Don't stay hear if you want to choose a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clee1369

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

requested the oceanfront view do enjoy that all went well it was stormy so the maintenance man came by and asked me if I can shut my door because the wind was blowing through the hallway which I can understand so I did a little while later the roof began to leak I called the front desk and a gentleman pick up the phone and I told him that my roof was leaking and he said it was my own fault because I had my door open I asked if there was another room available he told me no and he rudely hung up on me. of course I was very upset so I went downstairs and it turns out that the man was the manager and he wouldn't give me his name he was yelling rudely at me and I was very upset also just to the fact that his maintenance man said there was a leak on the third floor and it had nothing to do with me inconveniently I had to move by myself understand my partner is disabled it was no help he refused to talk to me he pointed in my face to intimidate me and told me to leave and the poor girl at the desk was in the middle of it and was begging me to stay and trying to get rid of the manager who obviously had a bad day or something I wouldn't stay here again

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ckohl732
Craig G, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Good Afternoon, Thank you for sharing your experience with us and please accept my apology for any inconvenience you experienced while a guest of our hotel. I have taken the liberty of speaking with our Front Desk Clerk that you engaged with, as well as our Maintenance staff that was working during your stay and with our Front Desk Manager. While I value and have high regard for all feedback that our guests share with us, the details and actions taken during a period of time with very stormy conditions was extreme. We have an expectation that our guests would treat our hotel as if it were their home, as that is the mentality that we strive to put forth in our hospitality extended to all guests. Admittedly, we do have failures at times and when we do, we work hard to correct the situation and perform better in the future. In this particular case, the storm outside was pretty severe. I personally witnessed the door of your room wide open and the room taking in rain, as I was outside and addressing another problem that was storm related. When I came into the hotel, I came to your room and knocked several times, to request that you close your door, as the winds and rain were very aggressive. After two attempts of unanswered knocks, I attempted to call your room to get your attention. The phone was never answered. At that point in time, I asked our Maintenance Staff to attempt to enter the room, as after 4 tries of contacting you, I was unsuccessful. In retrospect, I can certainly understand your concerns and I hope you can understand mine. Our staff has a responsibility to provide a safe haven for our guests as well as to do their best to protect the assets of our physical building. While we attempted to do both, I am sorry if we failed in our efforts of being hospitable. I can assure you, it was our intent to provide the utmost of care.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Yes, you can't beat the location however for the outrageous price the place is a dump. Stained sheets and towels. Holes in lamp shades. Tub is so gross you could hardly stand in it for long.
We actually left a day early just because we couldn't sleep another night on the beds with dirty sheets!
Time to renovate and upgrade. At least buy new linens.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

My husband, toddler and I stayed here recently. The location was great, decent pool but wish they had a shallow toddler section. We booked months in advance and requested a king bed with ocean view and we were given initially what looked like the one of the few rooms with a real balcony that could fit chairs and this room was SO small. The front desk was able to give us a larger king room but we still didn't have a balcony that you could sit out on. We were told initially by one front desk agent that all king rooms with larger balconies were taken, and then another agent said the king rooms didn't have sit out balconies?? The buffet breakfast was just ok but convenient. There is a gym affiliation but not on premises and no option to have any laundry service with a 2.5 yr old is inconvenient to go to a laundromat. Overall thus hotel seemed overpriced for the quality. We actually spent less money earlier in the summer at a much better hotel in cape may. This hotel is average only. I think we would look for a different place next time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
MarkM1010, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you very much for not only staying at the Atlantic Sands but for all of your feedback. We greatly appreciate your perspective and experiences. It is feedback such as yours that allows us to prioritize and plan for how better to position our property for the majority of our guests and visitors.

We wish you a very pleasant remainder of the summer and safe travels.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Rehoboth Hotels have *charm*. Some will say that means "oh! oh! they're old". Well, charm can also mean you get a feel for something that is hard to come by. The hotel may be older than a Vegas mod, but it is still clean and presentable. The rooms are a bit small and the walls a bit thin, but the modern population is loud with their kids too. So blame that on the modern culture. So, parents, take care of your kids more. I know kids like the clomp. Well, teach them how to walk without wooden shoes on, scream and yell in common areas and slam doors.
Anyway: the hotel is right on the beach. It is centrally located. It has its own pool. And the service at the pool is superb. 2 chairs and umbrellas for beach use are provided as well as parking during your stay. Now, about the staff and customer service: ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. I had a medical problem that required I check out early before my paid-in-advance stay. The front desk refunded me the entire rest of my stay on the day that I did the early exit. I did do it before the 11 a.m. checkout, but STILL, I was accommodated completely and pleasantly. No attitude! I was a guest and made to feel so. And the service personnel at the front desk: Debbie, you are an angel. You were top-notch and friendly when we arrived and when we said we had a medical problem at the end, you stepped up and took care of things in the most friendly and hospitable manner. So, do I recommend this hotel? Without any reservation. Just remember that it is not a new hotel, so don't expect Vegas-modern. It has history and charm that is Rehoboth. And you can WALK to anything at the beach from this marvelous hotel.

Stayed: August 2017
MarkM1010, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

While we are most appreciative of your patronage and thank you for being a guest with us, none of us could have provided a better description of your experience that what you crafted yourself! We are so very thankful for your kind comments and accolades towards our staff and the services they provided. Thank you!

We will be sure to share your glowing commnets with our Front Office and pool staff.