“FABULOUS, GREAT LOCATION, FRIENDLY PEOPLE ETC.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
Grantville, Pennsylvania
“FABULOUS, GREAT LOCATION, FRIENDLY PEOPLE ETC.”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I first started staying at Big Oaks three years ago when I had a 35 ft tag along, I didn't care for the tag along so I sold it and bought a two bedroom permanant mobile home from an older couple who had been vacationing there for over 20 yrs. I have never seen, or heard any of the owners be rude or nasty to anyone and I think by now I know them fairly well. They have always been kind, helpful, considerate and very friendly . When I had to use the bathhouse when remodeling I found it to be very clean especially considering the volume of traffic they receive on a daily basis. As for the confederate material, I for one think it's fabulous as I'm also from the south but transplanted to the north. As a southerner we are proud of our heritage and I think people enjoy some of what they have only read about. As for the distance to the beach from the campground it is only 2 1/2 miles and you don't have to drive you can take the shuttle and not have to go thru the constant drive around to find a parking space. I will be at this campground for many years to come as it took me two summers looking for a campground that had everything you needed plus transportation, also I know the owners would not tolerate unkindness nor give it. I for one would not want to deal with the vacation public for 5 months straight, as the public can be and is very rude, demanding and at times hostile when they don't get what they want. I am a permanant vactioner here.
Cathy Jones - Pa.

Room Tip: apply very early - December
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank seawitch13j
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thanks for the kind words. No matter how hard you try, you will never please 100% of your customers. We will just endeavor to do our best and hope that everyone else will see that, as you have.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
adjovi
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I had camped here once before, and found the campsite to literally be in the parking lot of someone's cabin. we had enough space for a tent, and that was about it. so, our kind neighbors, who had helped us build a fire the night before, since we had arrived after dark and were woefully underprepared, allowed us to peak into their cabins, and i was convinced this was a better deal. i came back in the off season--we got really lucky with the weather--and the location was great, parking is free and plentiful at rehoboth--all and all, a great deal. the cabins are comfortable and warm. also? the cabins are close to the bathhouse, which is great--they are clean and the showers were spacious and the water was hot. i just don't understand why the management would chose to fly the confederate flag and have confederate flag themed gifts in the management office. my friend (who is not from this country) actually asked me if delaware was considered part of the south--um. yeah. pretty sure the mason-dixon line is a bit farther south. we thought this was a great deal and had a wonderful time, but it is hard to endorse a place (even a deal as great as this--BUT GO WITH THE CABINS!) that flies the confederate flag. really? in 2010?

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank adjovi
The owners are Civil War re-enactors with ancestors who fought in the Civil War. The flags are purely heritage related, nothing more. It sounds like you enjoyed everything else; maybe this answers your question about “the general lee.”
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My husband and I visited over labor day weekend. We are regular campers, though this was our first stay at a private campground. We were pleased to find such a nice and up to date bathroom/ shower not something we typically encounter at most state parks. The cabins also looked very nice though we did not stay in one. We tent camped for the weekend and were very uncomfortable with how close we were to the other campers. The sites were not very well marked and other campers took advantage of the lack of boundaries to "invade" our space. It was not a quiet stay due to the fact that we were only a tree away from our neighbors. If you have a larger vehicle you may have some trouble parking and navigating the narrow streets. The staff was very friendly and helpful... I was surprised to see that others commented differently.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyJTraveler
Due to the price of land in this area, we can’t offer extensive site size, but we do try to offer a clean, affordable place to stay that is very convenient to Rehoboth Beach and the surrounding area.
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2010

After our favorite campground in Rehoboth (3 Seasons) was turned into housing developments, we tried Big Oaks and it was overall OK, we didn't have any bad experiences ourselves but there definately is potential!! .
First off, the spots were so close that our awning was almost touching the neighbor's camper and their sewer ran almost under our picnic table. Not the most pleasant... A campfire would start somthing on fire. The main safety problem was the sand eroded so their 'underground' extention cords with no conduit were now partially above ground --ELECTRICUTION-- and I actually tripped over one... HAZARD
Sand covered the narrow windy hilly roads making biking dangerous (a kid about seven slipped and fell).
Although I didn't use the showers/ bathrooms they seemed clean and nice.
Service- The staff was a little grumpy and moody, not willing to go out of their way, gave us a spot too small after telling them we have a 30+ foot trailer and tow vehicle.
You'd better like your neighbors 'coz you can hear them talk in their camper!!
WAY overboard on the Confererate stuff , very offensive to some.

With a couple fixes this campground would be much more pleasant.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
We take all complaints into consideration. We don’t have any electrical wire that close to the surface, but occasionally the cable T.V. wires work their way to the surface and need to get reburied.
Spring Grove, PA
Reviewed 25 August 2010

get rid of the stupid flags. Not worth loosing clients over. Retrain all people to do the same job, fairly and with out malice. also a little more sq.ft. per sit would make all the difference in thr world

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank fastprop
Due to our heritage, we don’t consider them stupid flags. There is no malice intended and it shouldn’t be assumed. We honor our ancestors no different than anyone else does and respect everyone’s right to do the same.

Travellers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rehoboth Beach
1.6 km away
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
#12 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
2.1 km away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#20 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
1.4 km away
Heritage Inn
Heritage Inn
#7 of 7 in Lewes

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK