“Could be a great place to stay, but ...”

Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My sister lives nearby, and we sometimes stay at a Marriott when we visit. This was the first time my wife and I chose the Residence Inn. They offered a great rate. We found the property and the room spotless clean, including the kitchen. The beds may be new and were oh-so comfortable. We enjoyed the fresh, hot comp breakfast. We couldn't connect to the internet and were asked to call their tech support, who found there was a problem at the property and promised a fix in an hour. By the time we checked out the next day, it wasn't. Like other Residence Inns we've stayed there's noisy thumping foot traffic from the floor above. If you think this may disturb you, get a top floor. We ran out of hot water running the shower in the morning, and got an unexpected scolding from the desk for showering in sequence. Really! At a Marriott?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 February 2009

I was asked to consult for a local company and was referred to this hotel since I was staying for approx. 2 weeks. The front desk staff was very courteous, yet the general manager of the hotel was there upon check in. He was not as nice as the woman who works the desk quite often. Betty was her name I believe. I also came into contact with him during a time when I utilized the shuttle, which by the way is old and out dated. He seemed like it was an inconvenience to ask to use it to get to the local grocery store. (which is probably less than 1 mile away) Betty went out of her way to anticipate my needs and the gentleman at the breakfast station, Ira, was just as friendly, My room was mediocre at best. I would return some days and my door would be held open with a chair because housekeeping had not removed it after they cleaned. I never complained but made sure I let the company know I would prefer to stay somewhere else next time. The bed sagged and the floor in the kitchen area had a huge dip in it. The door to the room took some strength to close it which bothered me since all the doors are on the exterior of the buildings.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2009

This hotel is a nice hotel. I travel most of the year and stay at many hotels. This hotel is a pretty nice hotel. The staff is probably the best feature here. They are all very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and beds were comfortable, which is a plus since alot of hotels seem to make the comfort of the bed less a priority than the outside features and the amentities of the room. The only thing that I could complain about was their internet service was very slow for the first 36 hours, but after mentioning it to the frint desk, they promptly called the provider and got that handled.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I am a platinum Marriott member and have 81 stays this year, mostly Residence Inns, across the country with my 2 dogs. This was by far the lease pet-friendly of any hotel I've ever stayed at. The female desk person was actually hostile and sarcastic to me and I could not believe how badly I was treated -- for simply not walking my dogs in the "dog walk" area (I did not see a sign and had no idea). She was rude. I complained to her supervisor about her horrific "customer service". I will never go to this place again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank CTshorewithdogs
Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 6 days/5 nights through Christmas. It was very delightful and quiet (suppose Christmas time isn't very busy for them). Our suite was #311, across from the gatehouse. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. A young man named O.J. was especially helpful and responsive to our inquiries during our stay. The suite was clean, very comfortable and had a fireplace that we used nearly every night during our stay. The cleaning service cleaned the fireplace for us each day! We hosted dinner for four on Christmas Day in our suite, thanks to the great, full kitchen. Afterward, we all enjoyed drinks by the fire. Cleaning service was usually early (before 9am), and as we are late sleepers, we learned quickly to put the "service later, please" magnet on the outside of the door. We also elected not to have service every day since we had more than enough clean towels, sheets, etc. There is a magnet you can use that says, "No Service" for this, too. I hated to leave here! The breakfasts were especially good (eggs, sausage, bacon as well as toast, cereal, etc.). Being in a downstairs unit was a bit noisy when we had neighbors upstairs. It seems like they need more insulation between floors to dampen the noise. There was one loud party in the building across from us during our stay but one call to the gatehouse settled that -security responded immediately and got the group to keep quiet the rest of the night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple