“Very friendly staff and a decent place to stay”

Ramada Newark/Wilmington
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Rothesay, Canada
“Very friendly staff and a decent place to stay”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

While returning from a family vacation we used the Ramada Newark/Wilmington as a rest stop for the night. The hotel is an easy to access the 95 with lots of choices for eating near by the hotel which is great when travelling. Upon check in every person we encountered was very friendly, from the woman working the front desk at check in time to the woman looking after the breakfast area the next morning. Even the staff in the Olive Grill attached to the lobby was friendly to us weary from a long days' drive.

The lobby and rooms are clean and well maintained. I'm not sure if the rooms are being updated or renovated in stages but everything was in good condition and clean. I wonder about renovations because the bathroom seemed to a bit odd, very nice counter/sink area and lovely stone around the shower but a very industrial toilet and old tired door in the bathroom kind of threw the look of the bathroom off. It was nice to have a mini fridge, coffee pot and microwave in the room.

The beds were a bit hard for my personal taste but pillows were good and it still provided a good night sleep. The rest of the room was standard with a desk area and flat screen tv rounded out the room. We asked the front desk from some extra blankets which they provided without any issue or push back.

The hotel does have a place to eat off the lobby called the Olive Grill that provided an excellent choice of menu. As well the breakfast area was large and very clean offering the standard choices of waffles, eggs, sausage to go along with the normal breakfast choices at any hotel.

Overall I recommend this place if you need a room for the night while on the road. The firmness of the beds kept me from giving a full 5 stars but the staff were really great the night we stayed here offering a friendly smile and how are you today every time they saw you around the property. Too bad they do not have an indoor pool as well which is good for family's trying to keep young kids entertained when on the road.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pweb44
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Though we strive hard to satisfy all your needs at all times we could overlook a few areas, but feedback and comments from guests like yourself always help us do better. We promise to make your next stay even better. Thank you very much.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Frankford, Delaware
Reviewed 13 March 2012

From the moment I arrived to check in until I was leaving, I was always greeted with a friendly smile at the front desk; while there on business- usually at the end of my work day I received a "how was your day?". The housekeeping was top-notch and if I needed anything, it was there in minutes. Also very clean. I loved having a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in my room. The fitness room was always available and clean with fresh water machine at my disposal while in there. The restaurant on site had terrific food with very nice wait-staff to serve you meals and drinks. I also enjoyed a glass of wine in the lounge and the bartender was very kind. I really felt like they wanted to serve me the entire two weeks I stayed here and not once did I feel like I was asking too much. I felt as if they really appreciated my being there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PattiW19945
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
We always do whatever it takes to keep our guests happy and to make their stay memorable. Thank you very much for appreciating our efforts to do so and going the extra mile to post your views. We shall try harder to make your stay even better and would love to have you stay with us whenever you are in our area. We all at the 'RAMADA' thank you again.
NEWARK D
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My son and new daughter in law celebrated their wedding reception at this Ramada and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely!!! We had the ballroom for SIX hours and the service was spectacular. Planning the event went smoothly and the rooms were wonderful. The discount on the rooms was generous. The event was held on New Year's Eve and we could not have made a better choice. I was impressed with the lower level room having a door that opens directly into the Court Yard where had it been summer we could have taken a swim.

Room Tip: You want a room on the first floor if it is summer.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
We are very happy to know that we were able to provide & satisfy your needs and that you found our amenities & hospitality up to your expectations and standards, and we promise to keep that up in the future! We sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Our staff extends their best wishes and thanks to all of your family members and friends. Thank you again.
Rising Sun, Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I had our reception at the Newark Ramada. At first we started out dealing with a very nice woman who called us, and gave us great prices and then 3 weeks before the wedding she was fired and the manager asked to meet with us. He started telling us all the prices and they were all more than what we had signed our contract for. It seemed to both of us that he was just after our money. Every time we asked how much something would cost he would say $200. No matter what it was. It seems very unlikely that anything we needed (highchairs, linens for the tables etc.) would be exactly $200. The overall reception went over very well, but getting up to that point was very difficult. There was not on time when I would call that he was available to take my call, and anytime they said he would return my call it took at least 4 days. He was not fit for the job of party planner if you ask me.
Also, we stayed at this hotel for our wedding night and we had stayed there one time previously. Both times we found cockroaches. This last time, on our wedding night, we found one inside the microwave. After that, it is pretty impossible to sleep. The front desk staff is nice, the pool is nice and the restaurant has good food, but the one manager, Indy, needs to find another profession.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca S
Facts - Our Sales Director was never fired! She Quit - as per our contract we were not supposed to provide linen for the tables which I did without any additional charge!!
We did not charge any more than on the contract except a $200.00 charge for extending the event for one more hour - you were informed about that & you paid that amount & we allowed you to use the banquet hall for 2 more hours!! We allowed you to come in one day previous to the event to decorate the banquet hall!!! No one complained during or after the event - I was personally there till the end of the event till1 am.!! If you recall I even met you!!
All your phone calls and emails were responded to at once - I suppose you know that.
your mother-in-law who paid for other expenses called to thank me personally (see the other review on trip advisor - "What a GREAT WEDDING"!!!)
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime on my cell phone number that I gave you - thank you
London
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I have really enjoyed my three-week stay at the Ramada Newark, as a former hotel manager, with two years experience in the hospitality industry, I must say, I am very impressed. I found all the staff very warm, and friendly, and know almost all of them by their first names at least.

This includes, Indy, Donielle, Steve, Danny, Chris,Taleah, Joe, Kefa, Bryce, David, Tammy and a host of others.

I will definitely come back to Delaware, and will surely stay at the Ramada; as a movie star, I'll gladly recommend the hotel to my colleagues in the movie industry, as well as others that may need accomodation.

I also wish to commend the hotel for it's contributions, and co-operation, during our three weeks of film shooting; I must say that the hotel satisfactorily accomodated at least five big Hollywood movie stars, within the period, and not one of them complained. For all these and more, the hotel will get credit, when the movie is released; which in my opinion, is perfect advertisement for the hotel.

Keep up the good work, team RAMADA NEWARK, see you all again, very soon.

IGONI ARCHIBONG

Room Tip: Customers should be asked if they need a smoking room, so they can be aware that they can actually c...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
We were overwhelmed by your appreciation of our facility and our staff. We all appreciate that in spite of your busy schedule you made time to pen a few very lines. We all thank you for choosing our property for your stay and including us in your film. We wish you the very best of luck in all your future endeavors. Thank you.