“God Awful Cupcakes!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
White Lake, New York
“God Awful Cupcakes!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

The cake part was incredibly stale and lacked any flavor. It was like eating styrofoam. The icing was WAY too sweet (and I love sweet usually) with an odd taste. To top off the complete disappointment, the cupcakes made myself and my boyfriend sick.

I'm not normally a fussy cupcake eater. Hell, I eat the ones from WAL MART! Seriously, don't waste your time. They look pretty, but you will be better off to steer clear!

If you're going to visit, buy some of their packaged candy. The shop is cute and the staff is really friendly, but that's all the positive I have to say about that.

2 Thank LostFate
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Delaware
“Thought they would be better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

I was so excited to take my kids to this place to pick out cupcakes. Three dollars a piece would be worth it if the cupcakes tasted good. They were dry and the cake part had no flavor. The frosting was ok, but I could make better cupcakes at home.

3 Thank cbouchat101
Rising Sun, MD.
“Not what I expected!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

After seeing this location on the food network, I was very excited to try one of their cupcakes.
The store itself is very cute and centrally located. The cupcakes were all very pretty. I ordered a chocolate cupcake with raspberry filling. Of course I took it home to try and was extremely disappointed. The cupcake in my opinion was stale. I just wonder how often these cupcakes are baked. They're not enclosed at all, so therefore air is hitting them and if they're not baked freshly they're going to go stale very quickly. They seem to keep an awful lot of these on display at one time.

3 Thank gmm1974
Yardley, PA
“good, very pretty, not as tasty as some”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

We ordered half a dozen, and they were quite pretty. I know they must be popular with kids missing some treats from home. However, all of my kids said they were not as good as mine, or some others they have had, and we cut the cupcakes so everyone could try different flavors. My husband said the same, without eating much (unusual for him), and I make some of my cupcakes from a mix (not all) and all my frosting is homemade. Nice to let everyone have different choices, but my son, at college there, said he would not go back unless he was with someone who wanted to go there. I think next time we want dessert we will get ice cream or gelato on that same street instead. Some spots to sit, but lots of people get them to go.

2 Thank jenjimlef
Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,668 helpful votes
“Yummy SWEET Cupcakes--almost TOO PRETTY to eat, OK service & Prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

SAS Cupcakes is located in downtown Newark, DE on Main Street. We first learned about SAS when we saw their booth at the Wilmington Flower Market. Since then, I have been to the shop a couple of times.

When we saw the cupcakes at the Wilmington Flower Market, we thought they we decorative candles at first. They just looked heavenly & almost didn't look real. That day in May, I had the Strawberry Cupcake and my husband had the Oreo Cupcake. Mine was a vanilla cupcake filled and topped with a strawberry flavored buttercream. The strawberry buttercream was very sweet, but the cake was perfect. The Oreo cupcake was a rich chocolate cupcake topped with an oreo swirled buttercream. My husband really liked his cupcake & I enjoyed his chocolate cupcake better than my vanilla one! He enjoyed it SO MUCH, that I took a business card and planned to order him these cupcakes for his birthday in July.

In July, I called a few days before my husband's birthday to order his cupcakes. Being just the two of us, we hardly ever finish a WHOLE cake or Ice cream cake between the 2 of us. So, I thought these cupcakes would be a nice way to get a "small" birthday cake. I called and asked to order the Oreo cupcakes for pick-up on Wednesday (the day before the party). That is when I learned that they only have certain flavors on certain days of the week. The Oreo cupcakes were going to be available on Thursday, so I arranged to pick them up the night of the party. I ordered a half dozen cupcakes that consisted of 2 Oreo, 1 Pina Colada, 1 Cinnamon Toast, 1 White Chocolate Pretzel and 1 Chocolate cupcake with Vanilla frosting. I arrived around 5:30PM and parked at the pay lot behind the building. I went inside and let the girl at the counter know I was picking up an order. Within minutes she had my order in hand and was ringing me up. It cost me $15 (2009) for the 1/2 dozen cupcakes. On my way out the door, the girl handed me a slip to validate my parking. The cupcakes ended up being a hit with my husband & a perfect solution for a small party. He loved the Oreo cupcakes and the Chocolate with vanilla frosting cupcake. I on the other hand, loved the White Chocolate Pretzel cupcake and thought the Cinnamon Toast cupcake was unique. He did not care for the Pina Colada cupcake.

Since, the cupcakes were a hit with both of us at the Flower Market and for his BIRTHDAY party, we have been back to the shop to just get the occasional cupcake ($2.75 each in 2009). My husband had never been inside the shop until our last visit. It is VERY PINK and girly inside. They have t-shirts for sale with cupcake designs on them, some candy, a few party supplies, various candles, some girly games (for brides, newlyweds, etc) and novelty gifts. In addition, there are a few tables inside should you want to sit and enjoy your cupcakes on location. It might be a nice place for a couple girflfriends or a mother & daughter to have dessert together. But it is rather pink inside, so I cannot imagine many men wanting to hang out in there too long.

Overall, we have had great experiences with SAS cupcakes. I would recommend them for a fun alternative to a regular birthday cake. There are the regular flavors in addition to some unique flavors to choose from depending on the day of the week. If you check their website, it will tell you what flavors are offered daily. Some of them other unique flavors are red velvet, lemon, chocolate mint chip, coconut, lemon raspberry, raspberry, s'mores, banana cream cheese, chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, and triple chocolate. I have to admit that the White Chocolate Pretzel and the Chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting are my favorties. My husband loves the Bailey's Irish Cream, Oreo, and the Peanut Butter cupcakes. The prices are a little high (at $2.75 each), but they are worth it in the end...when compared to other desserts. These cupcakes are usually very moist, adorned with a generous portion of icing, and decorated with various sprinkles, candy sticks, candy flowers & etc. Plus---you can opt to get little plastic banners to put in the cupcakes if you are serving them at a birthday party or event. They do charge an additional fee for the little plastic banners though. I opted to skip the little banners and the cupcakes were still a hit at the party! We really do enjoy these cupcakes & I'm sure we will have them again at future birthday parties, events, and just as an occasional treat.