“Good food and service”

Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Willimantic
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef-driven, seasonal, delicious dishes showcasing the bounty of eastern Connecticut farmers, food makers, and fisherman. Lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. "Unfussy, terrifically fresh food in a comfortable, quirky setting..." Rand Cooper, The New York Times
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Lunch time on a Sunday. Enjoyed the food which was fresh and tasty. The bacon was just right and to die for.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Eastern CT doesn't typically spring to mind when considering foodie hot spots, but there are a few gems that deserve consideration, and Cafemantic is one of them. The tapas concept has become widespread, but some places are still doing it well. Offerings are local and simple, but delicious and well-executed. The menu shifts based on what is available locally, and includes a good wine list. The restaurant is located inside a historic building on the main street, close to the university. Inside, it is small but adorable. We went for lunch on a quiet afternoon, but I can imagine reservations are typically a good idea.

1  Thank LaurieR1021
Reviewed 4 January 2018

I debated, honestly, whether to give Cafemantic 4 or 5 stars. We had a wonderful evening there; the food and service were excellent, but that being said, it's a small, somewhat bare-bones space, so if you are looking for a lot of ambiance to go with your dining experience, this is not going to be the place for that. Still, we pretty much knew what to expect, so that was not an issue for us at all.

Cafemantic does tapas-style dishes, which, we also found, might be a better choice for a couple, or even four people, but since there were five of us, and a number of the dishes we shared only consisted of four pieces, sharing was sometimes difficult. Also, since the dishes come out as they are finished in the kitchen, if you are thinking that a couple of them might complement each other, be forewarned that they will be on the table at separate times, and not necessarily close. However, I am sure that the kitchen would be amenable to a request if you really wanted to have a particular pairing prepared in closer timing. We definitely plan on going back, and will keep this in mind when ordering.

One last note is that they have few options available for vegetarians, as even the vegetable dishes seem mostly to be prepared with a sprinkle of ham or bacon, sometimes with a rather obscure name which might slip past you in scanning the menu. Again, since everything is prepared in small, individual servings, I'd imagine the kitchen would be able to answer questions and make adjustments if requested. We only had one vegetarian in our group who simply ate around the bits of meat, but some might be a little more inflexible on the matter. There would probably not be very much for vegans to choose from at all.

However, as I said, none of these things was really an issue for us in the end.The food was first-rate, and the service prompt and friendly. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

It feels more like New York City than a restaurant in Eastern Connecticut ... Delicious choices of tapas..Cool decor... Great outdoor dining area. Definitely not a family(children) oriented set up or menu... But adults of all ages can certainly enjoy.

1  Thank NBJKMDJR
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Last night we went to Cafemantic, which is a favorite of ours amongst the local eateries. I will admit it was quite busy, however I waited longer than usual for my meal (and we’ve been there on busy nights before).

This time, our waitress wasn’t checking in. I was able to ask the hostess to please check on my food and she replied, “That takes a little longer.” Now, I understand the style of the restaurant and that things come out as ready as opposed to all at once but there had been a significant gap where the rest of my party was done eating and I was still waiting. At that moment I didn’t need an excuse, I needed her to inquire about my food. I watched her walk back to the kitchen and then she never came and gave me an update. About 5-10 minutes later my steak arrived with a “we hope it was worth the wait” comment.

I will give credit in that they did comp me one of the glasses of Foxglove wine that I was drinking.

This experience was less than what we’ve come to expect from this establishment.

As I said, it won’t stop us from returning. It was just disappointing.

We wish the owner continued healing and success with the upcoming changes.