“A rare dreadful review from an experienced reviewer”
Review of Tavern on Main

Tavern on Main
Ranked #17 of 181 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2017

An overall dreadful restaurant experience.Todays price fixed Thanksgiving dinner produced this very rare negative review. If a restaurant can't tun out a good traditional Thanksgiving dinner they shouldn't try. Todays quite expensive turkey dinner consisted of tough tasteless turkey, uninspired stuffing, bland mashed potatoes and nondescript cranberry sauce. The service was competent although they apparently don't know how to bring clean silverware between courses.
This restaurant has been in Westport for a long time and I wonder if this is a onetime aberration or a downward trend. Be wary.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My wife and I stopped in here for dinner after a brief shopping spree on a VERy rainy and windy day. We were welcomed by a warm atmosphere and an equally welcoming waiter. We were seated at a raised table by the window, which added to the ambiance that included great music (Frank Sinatra channel on Pandora) and a view of the nasty storm while being sheltered from the elements.
As for the food and wine, my wife had the short ribs (HIGHLY recommend) and I had the NY Strip. We each had a glass of premium wine (Sterling Cellars and Cline) to pair with our delicious meals. We later ordered a piece of banana cream pie, which we shared, and coffee/cappuccino.
All in all, it was a great place to shelter from the storm, with great service and very good fare combined!

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Walking in I was pumped as the cozy bar area looked so inviting. And, to give the bartender a thumbs up I have to say he made a fantastic martini! The ambiance in the dining area is very nice. Unfortunately that is where the kudos stop! Service was less then stellar, perhaps they didn't appreciate a child in the party? The food was the biggest disappointment of all. The fish I ordered was rubbery at best, flatbread was horrible and the broccoli charred side was cold. Given the location we really expected better. I'll not be returning!

Reviewed 19 October 2017

I left this restaurant cheated of a nice evening and a victim of false promises. I don't know....I always follow through with what I say to people...not empty gestures. Which always disappoints when others don't do the same ! Back to last June. I held a big affair for an important birthday and spent a few thousand..the works and the staff were SO warm and nice. Everyone couldn't have been more accommodating especially one or two gals who I l worked with and I basically left it in their hands. They told me "You are one of the easiest person we've ever worked with ! " The affair was swell (A glitch here and there but I was happy over all) . That night owner came out and met me and I complimented his staff and he said "You will always be treated well here"..which was reiterated by his staff of catering women at the restaurant and staff (I certainly gave big tips which were were already included) .

Fast forward to last night. We decided to have dinner there as we like the tavern atmosphere. The bar had 2 people watching the yankee game and the restaurant had maybe 4 tables full out of at least 35-40 tables ? The only part of the evening that went well was our server who had to constantly apologize for things not flowing correctly. Not his fault!
4 tables filled and I did indeed spy one or two people who had worked on my affair and either they did not see me or did not want to have to deal. We ordered two appetizers that were standard fare. Mezze plate that was nothing special and fried calamari that was very greasy... and then came the one good dish of the evening. The Quinoa salad. Delicious. We then proceeded to wait over an1/2 hour (more like 45 mns !) for our entrees which arrived room temperature. $30 for lamb and $25 for a pasta dish and it was not prepared well nor hot?4 tables (well 3 at this point). My pasta had been so mismanaged that the cheese had congealed. I had had enough and went over to the ..I guess hostess to complain and to also remind her of the promises made to me after the party in early summer (she had been around that night). I told her that not only did I feel none of the TLC and VIP that had been bestowed on me...but I was just having a terrible dinner. Remember..big tavern...4 tables.....over half an hour between salad and entree. I told the hostess that all the 'promises' and spending a lot of money there in the early summer didn't seem to matter. She ignored that fact and seemed sanguine about all I had said. They took the dishes and microwaved them and my pasta primavera (which should not be made with heavy cheese....primavera...vegetables..pasta..a light dish) was barely edible.
We got the check and of course our CC did not work. I thought this hostess would make a gesture or say something after what I told her...not a word..not even recognition of a terrible meal. No goodnight. Boy.....money talks at this restaurant. When you've spent it....they forget promises made... and forget than that......all we wanted was a nice dinner as any diner should be served at these prices/. Horrible and very disappointed. Feel slightly taken

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We have been to the Tavern on Main several times. Each experience has been similar. It is situated in an historical building in the center of Westport.

This time we were there during "Restaurant Week." Three courses, $15/person. My wife had a salad, I had a grilled cheese sandwich. Fried artichokes and "hot" (yes, they were warm) potato chips were the two appetizers we ordered.

The appetizers were nothing special. The salad was fine. The grilled cheese sandwich came with bacon and tomato on what was called "Tuscan" thick-sliced bread.

The sandwich was greasy and not very appetizing.

The service was quick - much better than the meals themselves.