“Very Disappointed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2017

I left this restaurant cheated of a nice evening and a victim of false promises. I don't know....I always follow through with what I say to people...not empty gestures. Which always disappoints when others don't do the same ! Back to last June. I held a big affair for an important birthday and spent a few thousand..the works and the staff were SO warm and nice. Everyone couldn't have been more accommodating especially one or two gals who I l worked with and I basically left it in their hands. They told me "You are one of the easiest person we've ever worked with ! " The affair was swell (A glitch here and there but I was happy over all) . That night owner came out and met me and I complimented his staff and he said "You will always be treated well here"..which was reiterated by his staff of catering women at the restaurant and staff (I certainly gave big tips which were were already included) .

Fast forward to last night. We decided to have dinner there as we like the tavern atmosphere. The bar had 2 people watching the yankee game and the restaurant had maybe 4 tables full out of at least 35-40 tables ? The only part of the evening that went well was our server who had to constantly apologize for things not flowing correctly. Not his fault!
4 tables filled and I did indeed spy one or two people who had worked on my affair and either they did not see me or did not want to have to deal. We ordered two appetizers that were standard fare. Mezze plate that was nothing special and fried calamari that was very greasy... and then came the one good dish of the evening. The Quinoa salad. Delicious. We then proceeded to wait over an1/2 hour (more like 45 mns !) for our entrees which arrived room temperature. $30 for lamb and $25 for a pasta dish and it was not prepared well nor hot?4 tables (well 3 at this point). My pasta had been so mismanaged that the cheese had congealed. I had had enough and went over to the ..I guess hostess to complain and to also remind her of the promises made to me after the party in early summer (she had been around that night). I told her that not only did I feel none of the TLC and VIP that had been bestowed on me...but I was just having a terrible dinner. Remember..big tavern...4 tables.....over half an hour between salad and entree. I told the hostess that all the 'promises' and spending a lot of money there in the early summer didn't seem to matter. She ignored that fact and seemed sanguine about all I had said. They took the dishes and microwaved them and my pasta primavera (which should not be made with heavy cheese....primavera...vegetables..pasta..a light dish) was barely edible.
We got the check and of course our CC did not work. I thought this hostess would make a gesture or say something after what I told her...not a word..not even recognition of a terrible meal. No goodnight. Boy.....money talks at this restaurant. When you've spent it....they forget promises made... and forget than that......all we wanted was a nice dinner as any diner should be served at these prices/. Horrible and very disappointed. Feel slightly taken

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We have been to the Tavern on Main several times. Each experience has been similar. It is situated in an historical building in the center of Westport.

This time we were there during "Restaurant Week." Three courses, $15/person. My wife had a salad, I had a grilled cheese sandwich. Fried artichokes and "hot" (yes, they were warm) potato chips were the two appetizers we ordered.

The appetizers were nothing special. The salad was fine. The grilled cheese sandwich came with bacon and tomato on what was called "Tuscan" thick-sliced bread.

The sandwich was greasy and not very appetizing.

The service was quick - much better than the meals themselves.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Had not been to this downtown Westport stalwart for some time. Decide to return during restaurant week to sample the fare. Started with a caesar salad which was reasonably good. Followed with the steak special which was very disappointing. Desert was good.
The service was reasonable but not good. Our waiter was also serving as the bartender. The restaurant was very quiet for a Thursday night during restaurant week with only one other table occupied in the main dining room.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Just dined at a Westport mainstay, Tavern on Main, for a double date. Where has this quaint inn-like restaurant been all my life? We loved the different rooms and the fireplaces lit on the nippy night we dined here. Ambiance times 10!

I'll admit a pet peeve: small tables that necessitate rearranging glasses and plates with each course. It seems it's the trend nowadays where restaurants are more concerned with packing in patrons rather than giving them a pleasurable experience so they want to return. Sometimes, with the prices at restaurants in Fairfield County, some establishments cram you in, rush to turn the tables, and make you pay through the nose for the privilege of dining there. Ridiculous! It's almost as if they want to get as much out of you at your first visit because they're afraid you won't be back. Not here! Prices are reasonable, service is excellent, the tables are more than adequate, and the food is very, very good.

At our table we sampled the hot potato chips with blue cheese dressing and Mediterranean (Greek) salad. Both were tasty and the salad was large enough to split. For our entrees, we had filet mignon, salmon, and a cod dish from the special list. Again, all were great! Wines are fairly priced, too.

Our wait staff was wonderful and had helpful suggestions. No complaints here. We will be back! Highly recommend.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Lovely restaurant in downtown Westport. Food and service were excellent! We ate on the enclosed patio and it was just perfect. I had broiled lamb chops that were cooked exactly as I had ordered and they were delicious. Server told us they were New Zealand lamb. The portions were large and presented beautifully. We are sure to go back there soon!