“Good for saving money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Ontario
“Good for saving money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

I was in town for a concert and I saved a fortune staying here. It's a lot cheaper than anything in New Haven. Besides, New Haven is only a 5 minute drive away, so why not stay here.

As for the location, yes it's by the freeway and yes there is a boat yard nearby -- no biggy, I'll take the boatyard over some of the dumpy parts of West Haven and New Haven I've seen. I also liked the fact this motel is somewhat isolated from nearby houses and residents (the less people that see my car the less likely it is to be broken into -- out of sight, out of mind).

As for this landfill people keep talking about, I didn't see it, and if it was there, there was no smell at all.

The room itself was clean and so were the bathrooms. No bugs in the beds or creepy-crawlies (be on guard for this, some of the Econolodges in the New Haven area have this issue -- check the reviews). I also liked the free wireless Internet that was included with the room. Bed sheets were pretty good, a few holes here and there in the comforter, but things were clean.

There was a few things I didn't like about staying here, these included:
1) Some odd looking people who looked down on their luck wandering the hallways.
2) Some hallway noise.
3) Interupted at night by some dude blarring his rap music from his car at 2am on two different nights while he was checking in -- how considerate.
4) The part of West Haven this place is in is not the sort of area I'd go for a walk around at night, but on the bright side, the motel is in an isolated spot and I did see a lot of police patrolling the area. Motel parking lot (which is huge) is also well-lit and quite safe.
5) Minor -- smell of middle eastern cooking in the lobby and some hallways.

All in all:
For $50 something dollars you can't go wrong. I'd go back. It's not going to be the most amazing place you've been too, but in terms of value for the money, you will find few things better.

• Liked — Rock bottom room rates
  • Disliked — Other hotel guests
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

Stayed with wife and 2 teenagers. This dump is behind a barbwire fence by a small boat dock. Run by middle eastern group. Check-in desk is behind a bullet proof glass. The whole hotel stinks and carpets are sticky. The bedspreads had burn holes all over them. The sheets had ink stains. The bathroom was clean. The kids were afraid to leave the room alone. The next morning at check out, there were 3 guys sleeping in the run down furniture in the "lobby". Big mistake. Don't you make the same one. Look for something else, pay a little more or stay a little farther from New Haven. This is one dangerous and dirty.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank rdmac4550

Travellers are raving about these West Haven hotels

indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2008

For $49, I wasn't expecting a grand space, and I've stayed at other Super 8s. As far as the property goes, this was fairly typical. Room was clean, TV & heating/AC worked. Non-smoking room, but the comforter had a cigarette burn in it and the blanket was stained. Sheets & pillowcases were clean, tho. More electrical outlets would have been convenient. I did not use the microwave or fridge.

I could clearly hear what was going on in the hall outside my room, and more muffled sounds from the room beside me. I was on the ground floor and there was a lot of walking around in the room above me a couple of nights.

"Continental Breakfast" was english muffins you could toast and frozen bitesize blueberry muffins that I should have taken back to the room and warmed, I guess.

USAToday was available, but you had to go to the lobby and pick it up, along with a local weekly paper.

Location was horrible. 3 or 4 blocks off the main road; with a view of the interstate and a boat yard. Where you turned off the main road, there was a dumpy cafe of some sort but nowhere really close to eat or shop. I rented a car so I wouldn't have to call a cab when I needed to run to the store or get something to eat. It was $10 to $12 (not including tip) from the motel to the Yale Rep. Theatre and the bus/train station.

If I were just passing thru, for one night it would probably be OK, but for a more extended stay, I'd probably look elsewhere if I were back in the area.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sewell, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2007

I realize that this is just a Super 8, a 1 star establishment, but because of the fairly good reviews provided by others on this website and others, I thought it would be better than average. I've stayed in a wide range of places around the world, including a YWCA and youth hostels, so I am familiar with economy establishments and what to expect. Generally, I don't expect Super 8 to be a great motel, but past experience shows it usually to be at least better than Motel 6.

Not in this case. First, it's in the dumpiest hidden corner of West Haven you could imagine, right next to a composting center and a boat launch. Second, their room quality is highly variable. We were first put in a room where the toilet ran constantly. When told, they immediately came to fix it, I can't fault them on that, and offered us another room. The second room had a very saggy bed and air conditioning that was so loud, we couldn't leave it on for any length of time. I did not sleep much due to the cheap mattress vibrating wildly every time my partner turned over.

The photos of this Super 8 on their website are quite deceptive and must have been taken with a wide angle lens to make the reception area and breakfast nook look larger than they are. The bathrooms are very sad, with the cheapest toilet seat I've ever seen. Soap and shampoo offerings are minimal - bring your own supplies.

The breakfast was also a disappointment. Of course I don't expect too much from these continental breakfasts, but I did expect slightly better than a small display of frozen english muffins and mini-muffins of mysterious flavor (plus coffee and juice). We went out to eat.

They do try to maintain the place, as evidenced by the main hallway littered with tools to fix some faulty equipment when we first arrived. And while I appreciate that Housekeeping shampoos the rooms' carpets, our carpet was really wet during our entire stay and was really gross to walk on without shoes.

All in all, I think i would have preferred to spend a few more dollars and stayed at the Best Western down the street.

• Liked — It was close to where I needed to be and an easy hop to New Haven for sightseeing
  • Disliked — Saggy mattress
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
New Haven Hotel
#3 of 12 in New Haven
3.3 km away
BEST WESTERN Executive Hotel of New Haven-West Haven

Been to Super 8 West Haven? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK