“Room okay but neighborhood awful...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 West Haven

Super 8 West Haven
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
North Little Rock, Arkansas
“Room okay but neighborhood awful...”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Third Super 8 in three nights. Arrived after fourteen hour drive. Neighborhood was not the best, lots of transients. When I walked into hotel lobby is smelled of mustiness mixed with Far eastern cooking and it appeared the whole famiily of Indian decent lived on the property. There was much agitated language being spoke among the family member. I was greeting my the desk clerk who came out of one of the nastiest rooms I have ever seen wiping grease (food) grease off his fingers, and wearing and Tank top covered in food stains, baggy pants, and flipflops. It was not a good first impression. The aroma of Curry powder was beginning to make my eyes water. Reluctanly I checked into the hotel. Once in the room it was acceptable and clean. As the night progressed the clientel deteriorated. At first we were only going to take in what we needed, but then decided we would have to bring in everything from the car. In my several trips back and forth I noticed was appeared to be two or three cars pull up with couple men with was shall we say, professional women. We placed all of our bags infront of door and clained and bolted. We awoke very early and got the heck out of there in the morning. Continental breakfast was a joke. The amazing thing to me is that of the three Super 8 in a row we stayed in they all were being run by the same family name. Two out of three appeared to be a place to live for all of their familiesand no reivestment being put into the faciliites but the owners operators did drive Mercedes and BMW's. Would we stay here again. NO and again NO. Super 8 should disown them as well as the Litchfield, IL location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Maine
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We recently stayed at the Super 8 Motel in West Haven, CT. We picked it out online (the picture looked okay and the price too). However, the location is in a run down part of West Haven. We arrived around midnight and were too tired to keep on looking. The clerks are hiding behind an inch thick bullet-proof glass partition, the kind where the only opening is a small slit to slide money and credit cards through. The clerk checking us out stared at us with open hostility, didn't say one word. It was like getting checked out of prison. We ran to the car and bolted out of there. Definitely NOT recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these West Haven hotels

Ontario
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I was in town for a concert and I saved a fortune staying here. It's a lot cheaper than anything in New Haven. Besides, New Haven is only a 5 minute drive away, so why not stay here.

As for the location, yes it's by the freeway and yes there is a boat yard nearby -- no biggy, I'll take the boatyard over some of the dumpy parts of West Haven and New Haven I've seen. I also liked the fact this motel is somewhat isolated from nearby houses and residents (the less people that see my car the less likely it is to be broken into -- out of sight, out of mind).

As for this landfill people keep talking about, I didn't see it, and if it was there, there was no smell at all.

The room itself was clean and so were the bathrooms. No bugs in the beds or creepy-crawlies (be on guard for this, some of the Econolodges in the New Haven area have this issue -- check the reviews). I also liked the free wireless Internet that was included with the room. Bed sheets were pretty good, a few holes here and there in the comforter, but things were clean.

There was a few things I didn't like about staying here, these included:
1) Some odd looking people who looked down on their luck wandering the hallways.
2) Some hallway noise.
3) Interupted at night by some dude blarring his rap music from his car at 2am on two different nights while he was checking in -- how considerate.
4) The part of West Haven this place is in is not the sort of area I'd go for a walk around at night, but on the bright side, the motel is in an isolated spot and I did see a lot of police patrolling the area. Motel parking lot (which is huge) is also well-lit and quite safe.
5) Minor -- smell of middle eastern cooking in the lobby and some hallways.

All in all:
For $50 something dollars you can't go wrong. I'd go back. It's not going to be the most amazing place you've been too, but in terms of value for the money, you will find few things better.

• Liked — Rock bottom room rates
  • Disliked — Other hotel guests
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
dallas
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Stayed with wife and 2 teenagers. This dump is behind a barbwire fence by a small boat dock. Run by middle eastern group. Check-in desk is behind a bullet proof glass. The whole hotel stinks and carpets are sticky. The bedspreads had burn holes all over them. The sheets had ink stains. The bathroom was clean. The kids were afraid to leave the room alone. The next morning at check out, there were 3 guys sleeping in the run down furniture in the "lobby". Big mistake. Don't you make the same one. Look for something else, pay a little more or stay a little farther from New Haven. This is one dangerous and dirty.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank rdmac4550
indiana
Reviewed 17 April 2008

For $49, I wasn't expecting a grand space, and I've stayed at other Super 8s. As far as the property goes, this was fairly typical. Room was clean, TV & heating/AC worked. Non-smoking room, but the comforter had a cigarette burn in it and the blanket was stained. Sheets & pillowcases were clean, tho. More electrical outlets would have been convenient. I did not use the microwave or fridge.

I could clearly hear what was going on in the hall outside my room, and more muffled sounds from the room beside me. I was on the ground floor and there was a lot of walking around in the room above me a couple of nights.

"Continental Breakfast" was english muffins you could toast and frozen bitesize blueberry muffins that I should have taken back to the room and warmed, I guess.

USAToday was available, but you had to go to the lobby and pick it up, along with a local weekly paper.

Location was horrible. 3 or 4 blocks off the main road; with a view of the interstate and a boat yard. Where you turned off the main road, there was a dumpy cafe of some sort but nowhere really close to eat or shop. I rented a car so I wouldn't have to call a cab when I needed to run to the store or get something to eat. It was $10 to $12 (not including tip) from the motel to the Yale Rep. Theatre and the bus/train station.

If I were just passing thru, for one night it would probably be OK, but for a more extended stay, I'd probably look elsewhere if I were back in the area.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
New Haven Hotel
#3 of 12 in New Haven
3.6 km away
Courtyard New Haven at Yale

Been to Super 8 West Haven? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK