“Average ”

Calypso
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Kioni
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A restaurant with a great reputation both in Greece and abroad. Our international visitors have spread our name all over Europe and we are mentioned in every tourist guide that involves Ithaca and Kioni. All our dishes are cooked with greek olive oil and the freshest ingredients. Our fish is provided by the local fishermen and our meat comes from the local market to support the local economy.
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Onion pie was made with ready prepared (frozen) fillo which is unacceptable for the place and the price.greek salad were bad too,white colored tomatoes ,tinny slice of feta and a high price for a salad you can find at any average taberna. We order gemista (that never arrived and they charged them) and a beef cooked in orange sauce which was on.we will never come back and this is definitely not a recommended place for anyone.

Calypso I, Owner at Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear customer,
Our onion pie is a dish with a thirty-year- old history and people come again and again from all over Europe to taste it. Its original recipe is with baklava filo because it makes it very crispy and not because it is cheaper or more easy to prepare. The price of the dish (9euros) is because of its rich ingredients (4 different types of cheese, fresh cream, bacon) and it is quite justfiable given its high quality ingredients and the size of the portion.
You also mention the fact that you were charged a portion of stuffed vegetables that never arrived. We are really sorry for this mistake, but I think that it would be more fair from your part to also mention that the sum was immediately detracted from your bill once you pointed out the mistake and sincere apologies were provided.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Visited Calypso because of Trip Advisor's reviews. I'm not going to comment on why people keep on giving it a "5" or a "4", I'm just going to share our experience.
We ordered 1 ouzo, 1 green leaf salad with orange dressing, 1 shrimp pasta, 1 shrimp saganaki and 1 feta-leek fried flutes.
The salad was way too simple, literally lettuce, arugula, sesame and a dressing. The shrimp saganaki was condensed sauce of ketchup and maybe 1-2 teaspoons of tomato purée, accompanied by 2-3 pieces of feta cheese and a few shrimps. I must note that the shrimps were not cooked in the tomato sauce, but separately. So the sauce had no flavor from the shrimps, neither the shrimps from the sauce. I personally liked the flutes (if you like the strong flavor of the leek you ll definitely enjoy this plate). Last but not least, the shrimp pasta arrived.
Pasta cooked in water with the famous ketchup sauce; which was also added in this meal! Im not exaggerating, the sweet flavor of ketchup was so strong we had to add a pot of cheese to balance it.
The problem arose when I tried to cut open one shrimp....green-brownish liquid came out from the head of the shrimp. This happened to all shrimps. I had to ask the manager to come over and see for himself. He admitted that he had never seen that before. He took back both plates with the shrimps (the pasta and the saganaki) and returned them back with smaller shrimps.
The flavor remained the same (ketchup) but at least the shrimps were ok.
We paid 62€.
Good response from the restaurant, but still, you can not serve as a tomato sauce both in saganaki and shrimp pasta, ketchup sauce with a touch of tomato purée. Or at least if you do, charge it half the price.
In my opinion ridiculous prices, low quality food.
Will definitely not visit again.

1  Thank ChristinaK1440
Calypso I, Owner at Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear customer,

We thank you for pointing out the problem with the shrimps which were all returned to the provider this morning.
But as for the tomato ketchap, we do not use it in ANY dish. Actually, we don't have this product in the restaurant at all. We only have some single portion ketcap cups in case someone asks for some ketchap to add on their fries and that's it! I'm sorry but you have drawn a tottally mistaken conclusion. To not like the taste of a dish is one thing, but to make false assumptions about the ingredients and then publish them as facts is really unfair. We are a restaurant with a thirty-year reputation built on our fresh ingredients and homemade food, not a fast food chain. Our local cook who has been making the food we serve for thirty years does not even know what ketchap is, let alone use it in her cooking...

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We (2 persons) stayed here for food. The restaurant is really unacceptable since the prices are extremely high (i think tzatziki 4.5, potatoes 4 etc). we took a mixed of meat which was really funny since it had a tiny sausage, a tiny beef, a microscopic chicken and a small pork with 10-12 potatoes. His price? 13 euros. I was laughing when i saw it. The bread costs 1 euro per person (2 slices) and a warm bottle of water costs 2 euros. it has a good position near the sea but when we were there there were boats that were parking in front of us and the people were coming out of the boats just in front of our table and passing through our chairs, disturbing us without saying sorry. Don't go there.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I went there last night, awful restaurant, they even don't know they have clients!
We waited about 15 minutes to seat, and that's okay but then, we waited half an hour, because no one asked if we wanted to order, so I had to ask for the waiter myself.
Here the nightmare begins, we waited another half an hour to get some wine and then, another hour to get our food.
My 4 little shrimps for 12.50€ were cold and not even good, in the meanwhile my wine became hot and I couldn't even drink it anymore, since it was 39 Celsius degrees outside.
The moussaka was nothing special and it was such a little portion for 9€.
In the end, we have been there for 3 hours, then we changed to another restaurant because we were hungry and also angry.

Such a WASTE of TIME!

NEVER go there!
I don't even understand how this restaurant can possibly have good reviews, all the client near us were upset and we have been waiting together our food, it came, 2 hours later, wasn't good at all, and also very expensive.

Calypso I, Owner at Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear customer,

Please read the response provided to the immediately previous review with the same title as yours (review by Alessandro D). I am convinced that you are both referring to the same incident so it not really helpful and also rather misguiding to submit two different reviews to make clear the same single disappointing experience.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We've been waiting more than 50 minutes to eat what we've ordered. The wine became hot while waiting and the grilled shrimps were cold (not to mention that the salad was served without oil vinegar and salt).
Overall a bad experience. Definatly not the first restaurants in Kioni.

Calypso I, Owner at Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Customer,

We are sorry for the disappointing experience that you describe. However, it was on the busiest night of this season with a local festival taking place and dozens of people waiting to be served simultaneously. Under such difficult circumstances, it is only human that there might be some delay in the orders although our staff always do their best to satisfy every single guest. We hope to have the chance to offer you a more memorable experience in the future.