All reviews merritt parkway outdoor pool business trip room service lobby restaurant hot tub concierge lounge large hotel first floor breakfast buffet business hotel front desk staff we've stayed comfortable rooms visiting family fitness center new haven
Reviewed 20 June 2017

The hotel is an aging property and insanely expensive. They charged us over $200/night and didn't even have the decency to incl. breakfast. We ate breakfast there on the morning we left, on the assumption that a good breakfast would see us most or all of the way home. Was that ever a mistake! Overpriced, nasty food. Eat at the McDonald's, you'll have a better breakfast for a lot less $$.
The room was mostly clean, but there was a long black hair on the toilet (definitely not from either of us) and later I also saw a bug in the bathroom. Ugh. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Paul G, Manager at Trumbull Marriott Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with team at the Trumbull Marriott. We were certainly disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with the hotel as well as the breakfast in the restaurant. While hearing negative feedback is never a good thing it does offer us opportunity for improvement. I will certainly share your feedback with departments involved so they may look for solutions to your feedback. Upholding our commitment to a quality experience we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Second Memorial Day Weekend in a row we've stayed at this hotel as part of a large group participating in a baseball tournament. The group keeps coming back to this hotel because it is large and can accommodate all of the families traveling. While it does indeed have a large number of rooms and a spacious lobby area for gathering, this hotel is old, tired, and in desperate need of a renovation - particularly in the guest rooms and the elevators. The rooms are dark with dingy carpets, tiny bathrooms, and loud, disruptive air conditioning. The elevators, put simply, sound as if there is a high probability they are on the verge of breaking down. They are slow and you hear grinding metal all the way up to the top floor. It's like being on the Tower of Terror at DisneyWorld. If we didn't need a key card to access the concierge floor, we would've taken the stairs.

The restaurant/lounge is open late, which is nice. The food is standard/average hotel food. Drinks are okay. Wine list is just okay as well.

It's really too bad this hotel hasn't been designated for renovation, but perhaps that doesn't stop people from booking it. We definitely won't be booking it again next year.

Room Tip: I would suggest top floor on the parking lot side in the summer. The outdoor pool is loud.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Jen F, Manager at Trumbull Marriott Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

Dear 29danielle29,

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. I have shared your comments with my department heads so that we can improve the products and services provided and so the issues you experienced during your stay can be corrected moving forward. It is because of valued guests, such as yourself, that we are able to continue to optimize the way we do business. I look forward to serving you better in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Jennifer F.
Senior Operations Manager, Rooms

Reviewed 24 May 2017

I stayed for one night. After a very lengthy drive, the hotel was easy to find and parking was free. I took advantage of the indoor pool and hot tub, as well as room service. The room service was different - packaged meal delivered in a shopping bag - but it was tasty. The front desk was friendly at check in and helpful at check out. The king room was very comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I called and asked that if hey were queen size. Was told they were however when I got there they were only Full! There were 3 adults in that room (me,my husband and adult son who is about 6'4"). There is no way 2 people can share a full size bed comfortably. What's worse, I was charged over $200 for one night. When I called to talk to their manager, they didn't care. Horrible - wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Recently stayed here while we visited our daughter who attends college nearby. I have stayed here several times but was really disappointed this trip. I checked in with my mobile app, expecting to save time etc but instead found that none of my requests were met. I was traveling with my husband and 2 teens so I had requested extra towels, extra pillows etc. upon arrival I found 2 towels in the bath area and none of the other items requested. The bathroom did not seem as though it had been cleaned( the was an open used soap in the shower) When I called the front desk the attendant was unsympathetic saying " we are really busy this weekend". She did ask if I needed anything else and I requested a little extra bath gel since my daughter forgot to bring it. When housekeeping arrived ( within 5 minutes) she handed me several towels and a bag of small bottles of mouthwash! We were running late for a graduation ceremony so I did not have time to wait for bath gel. Frustrating! With so many options in this area I will probably stay elsewhere on my next visit.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Trumbull Marriott Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the poor experience you encountered during your recent visit. Although the hotel was busy that should be no excuse for incomplete service and not meeting your expectations. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding customer service and I am disappointed to hear that we failed to deliver. I have shared this example with the members of my team for corrective action. We certainly hope you reconsider and return to our property. I am confident we will exceed your expectations on a return visit. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. It is through examples like yours that we strive to improve.
We hope to see you again.

Richard P.