All reviews merritt parkway outdoor pool business trip room service hot tub concierge lounge large hotel hotel restaurant first floor breakfast buffet business hotel front desk staff we've stayed comfortable rooms visiting family fitness center new haven
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I stayed for one night. After a very lengthy drive, the hotel was easy to find and parking was free. I took advantage of the indoor pool and hot tub, as well as room service. The room service was different - packaged meal delivered in a shopping bag - but it was tasty. The front desk was friendly at check in and helpful at check out. The king room was very comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I called and asked that if hey were queen size. Was told they were however when I got there they were only Full! There were 3 adults in that room (me,my husband and adult son who is about 6'4"). There is no way 2 people can share a full size bed comfortably. What's worse, I was charged over $200 for one night. When I called to talk to their manager, they didn't care. Horrible - wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Recently stayed here while we visited our daughter who attends college nearby. I have stayed here several times but was really disappointed this trip. I checked in with my mobile app, expecting to save time etc but instead found that none of my requests were met. I was traveling with my husband and 2 teens so I had requested extra towels, extra pillows etc. upon arrival I found 2 towels in the bath area and none of the other items requested. The bathroom did not seem as though it had been cleaned( the was an open used soap in the shower) When I called the front desk the attendant was unsympathetic saying " we are really busy this weekend". She did ask if I needed anything else and I requested a little extra bath gel since my daughter forgot to bring it. When housekeeping arrived ( within 5 minutes) she handed me several towels and a bag of small bottles of mouthwash! We were running late for a graduation ceremony so I did not have time to wait for bath gel. Frustrating! With so many options in this area I will probably stay elsewhere on my next visit.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Trumbull Marriott Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the poor experience you encountered during your recent visit. Although the hotel was busy that should be no excuse for incomplete service and not meeting your expectations. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding customer service and I am disappointed to hear that we failed to deliver. I have shared this example with the members of my team for corrective action. We certainly hope you reconsider and return to our property. I am confident we will exceed your expectations on a return visit. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. It is through examples like yours that we strive to improve.
We hope to see you again.

Richard P.

Reviewed 24 April 2017

We stayed overnight to break up a trip back to our home. We have stayed here before and know the property. Checking in was very fast. We were on the Concierge Level but it was not open because it was a Friday. We received vouchers for a free Continental Breakfast because of this. By the way, the breakfast was excellent. We had corner
King room. Although the room was very clean I must complain about the bed, which is the only reason that I did not give this hotel 5 stars. The bed is way too high to comfortably get in and out of. My husband is 6 ft. tall and even he complained about it. I had to put my foot into the bottom drawer of the night table to get into the bed. I do not want to do 'acrobatics' when staying at a hotel- lol.
So all in all it was a pleasant stay- we dined at the Parallel Post on property and enjoyed our meal.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NewYorkelena
Reviewed 17 April 2017

I stay here quite frequently for business. There are some good things about this hotel, but they are mainly focused on the service. The employees are friendly and helpful. The concierge lounge is a great touch and it's nice walking into the hotel after work and seeing some free snacks/drinks in the lobby for everyone. The beds are quite comfortable. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the positive remarks end.

As others have noted this hotel is very dated and in desperate need of a major overhaul. The facilities, the rooms, the corridors, the elevators...pretty much just old and worn out. Some of the little things that particularly bother me; none of the rooms have blackout shades (just see through curtains), the TVs in the rooms are old and the cable TV is very dated, there is no interactive guide, half the channels are still non-HD, and they don't have normal channels for 2017 like Comedy Central and Cartoon Network. Unfortunately there is more, the furniture and room decor is very dated, you fill find dust and worn out surfaces all throughout the room; paint is chipping, things look dull or dirty. The elevators as others have mentioned look like an old hospital or high school, slow and creeky. Ceilings in the room are low, especially in the bathroom/shower area.

The hotel itself is essentially a 4 star hotel that's 25 years past it's prime, in my opinion its a 2 star hotel that get's an extra star due to the tremendous service and goodies for elite customers like the pantry and concierge lounge.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Paul G, Manager at Trumbull Marriott Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While your comments regarding the staff and concierge lounge were great to hear. I was disappointed to hear of the issues you have with the condition and cleanliness you have experienced during your stays. While we sometimes cannot make a 30 year old building look new there is no excuse for any cleanliness issues, I will share your comments with the staff and work to avoid such problems in the future.