“Authentic Chinese”

Pearl East
Ranked #89 of 483 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 26 February 2018

Wife an I took our granddaughter and her husband and our great granddaughter here for a lunch/dinner on Super Bowl Sunday. We had soups, appetizers and three main courses. Soups were hot and good portions. Scallion pancake and boneless spare ribs were both good sized and tasty portions. Main dishes (Kung Bao chicken, Shrimp w/mixed vegetables, and Moo Shu Chicken) all served with brown rice and we all had plenty of food and some to take home. Excellent service.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately, what was once an outstanding Chinese restaurant has declined noticeably over the past months! The service is lackadaisical and unprofessional, the menu is contracting with fewer dumpling choices, the food is just OK (food requested spicy is not), and the “buzz” it once enjoyed gone! It should not be rated # 1 in Stamford, although no other Chinese restaurant sampled is worthy of that position.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

We have eaten there twice in the past 30 days. The first was with a group of 8 of us from a Senior Citizens group, the second as a family-3 generations, but just 6 people.
The 8-person group had many courses chosen by the group leader, a very experienced Chinese-American lady. Most of the choices came from the "Authentic Chinese Menu" and were excellent. Timing of the presentation of the dishes was variable. When there is a group such of ours, some people were not ready for the next course and the Lazy Susan style of passing food around was awkward in some cases.
The family group had different tastes, from sashimi to lo main to gyoza to the "Authentic menu". I will comment only on the last group of dishes- Chicken Basil, Beef with bitter melon, Shoots of peas, Steamed striped bass. All excellent, no generic chinese brown sauce, not over-salted. Really excellent and better than any Chinese food I have had in our suburban area of Greenwich-Stamford. The food reminded me of places in NYC where a chinese colleague would order the food.
There is an "American chinese menu" General Tso etc. which we did not taste except for the boneless ribs which were OK and a sort of fried won-ton stuffed ground pork which was also OK.
There is a small Japanese menu, my grandson had gyoza and I didn't ask him to discuss it. My son said it resemble the packaged gyoza that you can buy at Japanese food shops. My daughter-in-law had the sashimi but did not comment.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

Have been to Pearl East a few times in the past few months, over all not great. Acoustics are very poor, so if the place is more than 1/2 full it's very noisy.

More importantly to the food. Nothing exceptional... I had the Happy Family - not so happy - port and chicken really tough and the scallops were under cooked.

Simply a disaster

1  Thank Howard S
Reviewed 8 November 2017

It was easy to park, plenty of spaces in the back. The inside is bright and clean with relaxing music playing softly in the background. We sat by the window near this cute little garden area. The food was served quickly and hot! I enjoyed my meal and would recommend giving this place a try. I can't wait to come back with more friends & family to try different dishes. I noticed on the way out they also have a sushi bar area!