“Excellent Indian in Southport CT”
Review of Coromandel

Coromandel
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Coromandel is part of a greater chain and the Southport location is very good in not quite Darien. Some of the dishes are actually pretty authentic although they do all the traditional non-Indian dishes such as Chicken Tikka Masalla so the Chef has obviously visited Birmingham in England. The service is really friendly and they get to know their regulars. One recent take out I had was not up to standard so ihope they keep their eye on the ball.

Date of visit: May 2014

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A couple of years ago, my wife and I had dinner at Coromandel. At the time, we felt that the restaurant was OK, but somewhat lacking in atmosphere.

Last Friday, we decided to give it another shot. Very glad we did.
First of all, the place was bustling. There's nothing like a busy restaurant to provide a pleasant atmosphere.
Service was very attentive, but not intrusive. Good balance. I noted that the waiter who took our wine order also asked for our choice of appetizer, to avoid unnecessary delays. This also gave us plenty of time to decide on our main course.
The food was excellent. Unless I'm mistaken, there seem to be some new dishes on the menu. I had Mirapakaya Mamsam Koora- "pieces of lamb in a spicy gravy with red chillies, coriander, yellow chillies and flavored with ginger. From the Deccan region." according to their website. It was delicious - spicy without being excessively hot. My wife had Tandoori shrimp which was splendid.
We're both very fond of Indian desserts, so we splurged a bit and ordered a couple. I had a rather nice, extremely sweet thing, based on condensed milk (can't remember what it's called), and my wife had what she described as the best rice pudding she had ever tasted. I tried some, and am inclined to agree.
They still have the bizarre wine list, which is in alphabetical order of vineyard within wine colour, but it's more of a harmless quirk than an inconvenience.

We live less than a mile away from Coromandel. I think we'll be visiting more often in the future.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The title says it all. Know when they say hot they mean hot. The Nimma Rassam is delicious, and the service is great.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

If you are ready to move beyond chicken tikka marsala and standard tandoori fare, it is time to visit Coromandel. They offer a wonderful selection of south Indian cuisine that is cooked to perfection. From the sweet to the scorchingly hot, there is something new for everyone. Great staff and terrific ingredients add to the pleasure of this great restaurant. Worth the trip.

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We've been here several times and the results are always the same -- a great meal enjoyed by all. Excellent service and food to match. Watch the hot stuff -- really hot!

Date of visit: February 2014