“‘Cheers’ in Southbury”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Where everyone knows your name Chris the owner is generally on the floor and at your service. Friendly staff of local folks who are attentive, knowledgeable and make everyone feel at home.
Nice menu and good is nicely done for reasonable costs. Hidden behind main Street building, this is a spot you can feel welcomed at any time.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We really like this place! Food and atmosphere are really good! Plenty of choices!

But, on this particular Friday night, November 9. 2018, I ordered the pan seared Salmon for 21.99

When it arrived it was obvious that the piece of Salmon was only about 2-3 ounces. It was about the size of a tin of sardines.

We called the waitress over ( she was very nice ) and said she would bring it to the attention of the manager. She came back and said, “ The manager says that that is the size of the Salmon we serve.”

So I said, “ Then I’m sending it back, I don’t want it.”

It’s amazing that the manager wouldn’t even come to the table to discuss it. I guess he was too busy chopping up big pieces of Salmon into little” Chintzy “ ones.

Also, it’s really interesting that they( restaurants ) alway advertise the Weight of their steaks , ( Our 12 ounce cut , our 24 ounce “ prime rib “ or our “ beefy 1/2 pound burger “

But when it comes to seafood there is rarely a mention of weight. Now, why is that? Do you think people would salivate and jump at our “ 2 ounce Wild caught Salmon?”

No they would not. And that is how the restaurants “ take you “- sadly including this one.

I noticed that they did load me up with veggies.

So my final comments are; “ The customer is always right “ - has gone out the window- and only applies when the owner really thinks so.... which is rare..... or never.

They take you on drinks and seafood. And we hardly ever complain. ( I finally did ).- and they blew me off.

The waitress was really nice - she felt bad.... but of course couldn’t voice that opinion.

Will My wife and I go back? Perhaps- but we will steer clear of the seafood dishes.

There is another really good waiter there- Frank.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We been going to Rathskellar for many years, not sure if they can't get the right chef or they're trying to cut corners. It's been a while since we've had a good meal there where we walked out saying ' we have to come here more often'.
The service is pretty good overall.
The last time we were there my husband had the fried chicken and it was very greasy , not crispy and he even got a piece that was a chicken butt, yuck! Really?? Never expected to get fried chicken butt. He also got a side salad which was a few lettuce leaves with some carrot shreds. It's summer! Where were the tomatoes and cucumbers? They used to serve a decent side salad.
I had a bacon cheeseburger. The bacon was precooked and chewey like jerkey and the Kaiser roll had been microwaved which made it inedible. The French fries used to be nice, hearty and delicious. What I got seemed like what was left at the end of a bag of Barham frozen fries. The burger was average quality.
I asked the waiter if I could have a couple extra napkins and he stated to me when handing me the napkins 'I hope the boss doesn't see me giving you these'
There's more competition in the area now so they need to kick it back up to the way it was when they first opened otherwise patrons will have to bring their own napkins for a 1 fork meal

Reviewed 7 August 2018

For what looks like a bar this restaurant was very surprising
Service was excellent, food was excellent
prices a bit high
Of course you can get a cheaper meal like burgers but we chose finer dining

I had the scallops with risotto and was very please
Amanda was a good waottress

Reviewed 1 July 2018

An extensive menu with many typical favorite's. Everything on the menu is executed well, with abundance.