“Great great place”

Nouveau Monde Wine Bar & Bistro
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Sandy Hook
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 45
Description: Meaning "New World" in French, Nouveau Monde serves new American cuisine in a cozy and stylish atmosphere. Our menu celebrates seasonal and locally-sourced ingredients, incorporating inspirations from a variety of global flavors. Named by Connecticut Magazine as Best Wine Bar in Connecticut, our Wine Spectator award-winning wine list has over 40 wines by the glass and more than 200 by the bottle, with chef's suggested pairing for each entrée. We feature a curated list of craft beer and spirits that pair well with our delicious food and convivial, approachable ambiance. Fine dining, relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Met friends for brunch and their menu was great lots of unique items and both a brunch menu and all day menu. Huge wine selection, amazing. Jessica greeted us and was a doll, we got there before our friends and I wasn’t sure if they would wanted inside or out, she reserved a table in each area till they came, brought us menus, wine list and water while we waited outside. Friends arrived and we moved inside. Our waitress Sarah was great also, very professional, knew the menu and ingredients very well, explained anything we weren’t sure about. Very comfortable and relaxing place. Menu also was clearly marked for gf (gluten free) and v (vegan).

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Gorgeous decor and design, gorgeous atmosphere, wonderful server and sommelier. However, at 7:00pm on a summer Saturday evening, upon ordering appetizers, my friend was informed they were "out of crab cakes". Then, when ordering entrees, my friend was informed they were "out of the chicken"... What??? Then, after 3 of the 4 of us ordered the rib eye, a gentleman (possibly another server, but not ours) informed us that "someone just took one of your steaks...and now we are out". This all occurred before 7:15pm on a Saturday night...unacceptable.

1  Thank jeeper333
Peter C, Owner at Nouveau Monde Wine Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Jeeper333,

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for the less than perfect experience. We do strive to serve fresh and seasonal cuisine, and occasionally certain popular items, such as the crab cake, would sell out before we can receive another shipment of ingredients.

As for your comment regarding steak, we did offer a substitution of New York strip in lieu of ribeye, which I hope your friend enjoyed.

Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I hope you enjoyed the quality of our cuisine, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I absolutely love it here!!! Excellent service!!!! The food is wonderful!!! The atmosphere is the best!!! You can walk down a path and over a bridge over water and it is absolutely beautiful!!!! A great added feature to an already wonderful place to go!!!!!!

Reviewed 7 August 2018

This has become our go-to place for a tasty meal in a peaceful setting. The food has consistently been very innovative and the wines are superb. I'd say it is an environment more appropriate for adults. I do wish there were more vegetarian options. Also, the amount of wine in a glass can vary depending on who pours it. I rather like the German system of markings on the wine glasses.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I went to Nouveau Monde with some friends on a warm summer evening. We sat on the porch, which was lovely. Our small table was a bit cramped but we had the option of also using the broad railing to put our plates on.

For our meal, we decided to do a few selections so we could each try a variety of the restaurant's offerings. We had moules frites and the charcuterie platter. The charcuterie platter was beautifully presented on a large board with small samples of each thing, and the bowl of mussels came with shoestring fries and a Cajun aioli. I had clam chowder which was not that thick but was flavorful with the addition of herbs and Canadian smoked bacon. The beet salad was delicious with goat cheese on a bed of greens. My friend had Caesar salad which came with cornbread croutons.

We were very full after the above but the server's description of the dessert offerings were too tempting to pass up. We had a pie which consisted of chocolate crust with banana slices and whip cream.

To put the icing on the cake, the ladies' room had to be the most gorgeous and well appointed restaurant bathroom I've ever been in. The wallpaper of branches and birds (Versace), the delicately scented hand soap, the quality paper towels, the whimsical mirror over the sink - it's really worth checking out if you're there. I feel like restaurant bathrooms are often overlooked by management and this was definitely was not.

This restaurant was a great suggestion by my friend and I'd be happy to return when I'm in the area looking for a nice spot.

Date of visit: July 2018