“Very well run family operation.”

Consiglio's Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 586 Restaurants in New Haven
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Consiglio family continues to operate one the the best Italian restaurants in New Haven. For 78 years, we continue to offer authentic, delicious, home-made Italian fare with friendly hospitality that the New York Times referred to as "convivial." Indeed, a meal at Consiglio's with family and friends is always an experience to savor and enjoy. Welcome to Consiglio's, and from our family to yours, "Bon Appetit!"
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you like italian food don't miss this place but make sure you have made reservations, the food was like home made, I had the sauteed calamari which was not chewey , my wife had the the bruschetta again excellent. I chose the zuppi de pecse for my entree and very satified plenty of seafood and a great sauce, my wife had the lobster ravioli with shrimp again done to perfection, salad was crispy and fresh, service very good, only problem was parking, Wooster St. very busy but worth the wait.

1  Thank patrickperugino

Reviewed 30 November 2017

My girlfriend and I were very excited to attend the murder mystery dinner here. We arrived promptly at 6:30 for the 7PM show. Parking was very tight in their lot but we got the last space.

The waitress took our order at 6:45 which consisted of 2 caesar salads, cavatelli with grilled chicken, shrimp and cavatelli. The salads arrived no less than 45 minutes later at about 7:30. Needless to say our entire table was starving and we were baffled that half the restaurant had already been served their main course while we were just getting our very simple apps! I think the restaurant was understaffed to handle the people they had in house which is unacceptable considering the $55/person price tag (plus 20% gratuity).

All the actors for the event showed up in street clothes besides the detective/narrator. This wasn't really "acting" at all, it was more like a few people arguing and giving the same cheesy one liners at every table. My girlfriend was not happy and neither was my wallet!

We didn't receive our meal until 8:15, so it took 1.5 hours from the time we ordered until we were actually able to eat our meal. At this point it wasn't enjoyable because we were famished. The kicker: the other half of the restaurant had already been served dessert and were on to coffee!

If you're hosting a dinner event, the guests should be served at the same time--it's common decency. I will not be returning here and cannot recommend the Murder Mystery dinner to anyone.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

During a recent visit to New Haven to dine with friends, we decided to try dinner at this New Haven landmark. Everything was wonderful. They serve large portions of authentic, home style Italian dishes. They are famous for Nonna's meatballs, so I ordered the Italian Kitchen Pasta, which included the meatballs, peppers, mushrooms, onions with rigatoni. Our server suggested adding sausage which made the dish even better. My wife tried the homemade Cavatelli with Braciole, which was also very good. Everyone on the wait staff was welcoming and helpful. It felt like going to someone's house for a great meal. Look for their dedicated parking area around the corner. If you have any plans to be in the New Haven area, I highly recommend a meal at Consiglio's.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We walked over to the Wooster neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon to try some Italian food in New Haven. After relaxing in the early Fall sunshine in nearby Wooster Square and chatting with folks there, we decided to try Consiglio’s, which is in the heart of the restaurant area along Wooster Street. It is a classic Italian restaurant from the décor to the menu, with the option for substituting gluten-free pasta. We were the first customers as they opened at 1 on a Sunday. The waitress, Nicole, was very friendly and was knowledgeable about the needs of my gluten-free companions; when there was any doubt she checked with the chef.

We started the meal with house salads and stuffed mushrooms. I had the mushrooms to myself, since they are not gluten-free – delicious. I tried the veal parmesan, while my wife and daughter tried shrimp dishes – Shrimp Tortellini Carbonara and Shrimp Consiglio. The veal dish was tender and plentiful, pasta cooked correctly, and the red sauce was mild but tasty; I took half of it home for the next day. Both shrimp dishes, with gluten-free pasta, were reported to be tasty and, again, very substantial. My daughter ended up with leftovers as well.

As a note, there is also a Sunday Cucina offering that sounded great for family style dining – from antipasti to dolci. Maybe next time.

Overall, I think Consiglio’s is a pleasant dining experience with good food and a friendly staff. We were there early on a Sunday afternoon, so we beat the crowds which were gathering in the neighborhood at the various restaurants. The neighborhood feel, friendly folks in the park and on the streets, and good food added up to a great Sunday afternoon on Wooster Street.

1  Thank CompleteCC
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Waited 20 minutes despite being on time for our reservation, the whole meal took 2 hours. Friendly staff, nice accoustic and setting. Nice mushroom starter, typical red sauce fare.