“Not good”
Review of Duncan Hotel

Duncan Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed 20 September 2011

When we look at the prices, its not bad. But, if you are looking for something more, this wouldn't be the right place for you. We stayed there for the last two days. we didn't get what we expected.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 October 2010

Reviews make the Duncan out to be something out of Dante. It was not. My stay was brief (1 night), but for the price mid-week ($60), it was an amazing deal. The hotel is old and a bit worn around the edges, but I found my room to be simple, clean and comfortable.

The Duncan now also suffers from being next door to the pricey, trendy and drippingly hip "The Study." My room cost approximately $120 less than the room I could see out my window. The difference? Well in my case it went towards an amazing meal that night in New Haven.

Trust me, this place is not for everyone. But if you're Ok old and a frayed around the edges... the Duncan works.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank travelmanlax
Reviewed 5 August 2010

So one weekend, my best friend and I decided to just drive from Boston and see where we ended up, just to get away. We made it to New Haven and got sick of driving, so we decided to stay there for a night and searched for a hotel. For the price, we could stay at the Duncan for one night. We drove by the outside and it didn't look so bad, so we figured that we could brave what was on the inside. BAD CHOICE.

First of all, the guy at the front desk is really weird and impersonal. Fine, since we didn't need more from him other than a key.

The room was a totally different story. It looked like something out of a murder novel. Our room was down a tiny corridor and opened up to reveal a strange-shaped room. We immediately went out to hang out at the bars, and even coming back after a night of heavy drinking and pizza in hand, the room still scared the heck out of me. We SWEAR at one point during the night we heard the door creak open slightly and then slam shut when my friend went bounding towards it. I was really glad that I was there with a guy at that point.

I've stayed at my share of gross hotels and weird places (even one in Peru where the owner organized weird trips to take some peyote-like substance and talk to nature and stray cats came into my room though the window at night), but this was something special altogether. In addition to our scary moment, there was plenty more to complain about.

The rug was the color and texture of a bygone era (that delicious shade of 70s orange), and hadn't been cleaned since then.

The bathroom was not clean, and the toilet rocked back and forth over the tile because it wasn't fastened securely to the floor.

The furniture was old and banged up, and the curtains were dirty.

Bed was gross - we ripped it apart and checked for bedbugs, of which there were none, thankfully.

Thinking back, I would have been totally cool with sleeping in the car.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Not particularly cheap.
Located close to yale, but so are other better hotels.
The quirky lift and the guy taking you up and down was the only ok part.
Room stank of cigarettes, and in need of desperate revamp.
Ancient heating system that clanked all night long. Clank for the hour warm up, hiss hot steam into the room for an hour, then clank for an hour warming down. We contacted lobby to inform them of noise and steam and were assured that the heating wouldn't be on again that night so there was nothing to worry about. This was untrue, and we woke every 2 hours. Horrible for two adults, horrendous for a baby!
Next morning, staff were unperturbed by our lack of sleep and could only offer an insincere apology.
For a few extra dollars, say somewhere comfortable. What was once I'm sure an authentic yale hotel with character, is by now a dump.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank arabellaonthemove
Reviewed 18 November 2009

We were hesitant after reading the reviews here, but had a great experience.

The building is old and worn but the lobby, halls and room were clean. The comforter was a bit dirty but like every hotel, the comforters aren't washed. Our room faced a huge air conditioning unit of another building and we had some noise, but it didn't bother us and I don't think we would have had issues if we asked to switch rooms.

The desk staff (and elevator staff) was friendly and helpful. The location was great and the price was right for a budget get-away.

The hotel isn't for everyone - if you expect to be fussed over like royalty or want more than just a place to spend the night, or live in a subdivision, look elsewhere. But for a comfortable, affordable and memorable stay, and a more authentic experience, I'd recommend the Duncan.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1.9 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
5.8 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to Duncan Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK