“Unusual Birds”

Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy
Reviewed 15 November 2015

We stopped at this somewhat obscure attraction while visiting Litchfield. It was very interesting. They have birds, mostly waterfowl, that are not typically found in this area. There was also upfront and personal opportunities to see owls, hawks, etc. There is an area where you can walk among some of the birds, while others are behind fenced areas. It appears they tried to duplicate normal environments for the birds. We were greeted and shown around by an intern (Amanda). She was very friendly and helpful.

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank Frank E

Reviewed 12 October 2015

We spent an afternoon here with our 21 month old daughter after reading about it on the internet. We were passing through and thought it was worth a look. They have such a variety of birds including a kookaburra and some owls which our daughter loved. We were greated by Ben who explained everything and gave us a map of the grounds and then we were left to walk around. Our daughter loved the geese and ducks in the open area, which is so relaxing and beautiful, there is also a hideout with educational sections on different birds. We walked round the grounds and was then treated to a flight show of one of the owls by Nick, they only do it a few times but we picked the right time to visit. He explained all about the owl he was flying which was really fascinating. The tour took about 45mins but was amazing due to the colours of the leaves on the trees and the weather was perfect. This place is a little gem and definitely worth a trip

Date of experience: October 2015
2  Thank Katy B
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Heard about LRWC from a friend a while ago and finally got the chance for a visit. As we got out of car we were greeted by an intern who gave us an overview of the facilities and answered any preliminary questions and gave us a map of the property. We were then free to roam. Many of the birds are in enclosed aviaries that you could not enter but could look into. We then entered a large open area with several ponds where the cranes and swans and geese were located. At this point I should mention that this is not a facility that just rehabs some waterfowl from the local area but instead they have birds from literally all over the world. After roaming around admiring the birds for quite some time we met up with the intern that initially greeted us and he showed us the hatchery and explained the whole hatchery process. I have to say that he was extremely knowledgeable and seemed to be able to match his answers to your level of interest and knowledge. We plan to make a return visit later in the year when the birds are in better plumage.
Thank you Ben for a very enjoyable time.

Date of experience: August 2015
2  Thank Bobby-sprocket
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

We took a lovely walk through areas of different waterfowl, some not typically seen. The docents were passionate about the birds and very informative. A nice, educational couple of hours.

Date of experience: May 2015
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 July 2015

I was in Litchfield visiting some friends when I happened upon the Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy. I say "happened upon" because I was driving down a road and there it suddenly was. If you are into birds this is the place for you. The grounds were very beautiful and I was surprised at the variety of the waterfowl collection they had! There were many species from the U.S., but also many species from Australia, S. America, Asia, etc. The best part in my opinion were the little ducklings and goslings they had. This would be a great place to take kids and let them see the babies! (I would caution not to let them run around unsupervised, however.)

The fees are very reasonable, and you can walk around the grounds on a self-guided tour. I believe that if you call ahead you can request a guided tour. (The workers there are very knowledgeable and if you are a bit nerdy this would be great for you!)

I only have 2 complaints.

1. The "membership" is kind of funky. If you opt to buy a membership, you still have to pay every time you visit. What's up with that?

2. Put up some more signs. If I hadn't of chanced on the place, I probably never would have found it! Maybe put a sign up on the highway to alert the public.

Date of experience: June 2015